Artificial Sweeteners

Options
For or against?

I'm generally against (but seriously, I love to sit on my deck and drink a cold diet coke).

I'm good with Stevia. I haven't really done the research on all the rest. Anyone have some good solid scientific info?

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love me some aspartame.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have good solid info but I remember hearing something about once aspartame hits a certain temp it's more likely to be cancer causing....I say who cares everything in the world is going to give me cancer somehow anyway.

Personally I like sweet n low flavor best (not sure how to spell what it's made of)....but I should probably be using truvia or splenda or something else.

Either way I say it's fine in moderation just like everything else.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I use them, but not to extremes. Remember the saccarine(sp.) rat scare, I think it was the 70's. I still use it to sweeten my iced tea.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    For or against?

I'm generally against (but seriously, I love to sit on my deck and drink a cold diet coke).

I'm good with Stevia. I haven't really done the research on all the rest. Anyone have some good solid scientific info?

if you're going to base your decision on what scientific studies have "proven" then drink your diet coke and cross your fingers.

if you trust holistic medicine that isn't funded by lobbyists, then you'd be better off dumping it.

but that's your call.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    For or against?

if you're going to base your decision on what scientific studies have "proven" then drink your diet coke and cross your fingers.

if you trust holistic medicine that isn't funded by lobbyists, then you'd be better off dumping it.

but that's your call.

Translation: Science says they're fine. Woo-merchants fear them.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

this.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There was a study that showed that it did cause brain cancer in mice.

However, the amount of sweetener given was like us eating 15 bags of sweet-n-low per day.

There have been no legitimate studies showing artificial sweeteners to cause any cancer (as related to the average within a sample of mice). Certainly there has been no documentation of this in humans.

Ciao!
  • smitchell78
    smitchell78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to answer on all artificial sweetners, but as far as Aspartame I cannot have anything with it. I am epileptic (not caused by Aspartame), but when I do consume a product with Aspartame I will have more seizure activity. I do not know if it causes more episodes or whether it decreases my medicines effictiveness but once I cut it out of my diet I was able to go a few years without having a seizure while being on medicine.

Take that as you want - but at least for me Aspartame is not a good idea for me. As far as the other ones go, I generally try to stay away from them as much as possible because I do not want to chance it. If you are looking to stay away from Aspartame, there are a lot of products that contain Aspartame besides Diet Sodas. For example, almost all light yogurts contain it as well as quite a few brands of chewing gum and even mints. I always check the label and it can be quite surprising to see how many products actually contain aspartame out there (even some cold medicines contain it!).

This may not be the good scientific that you are looking for, but I just figured I would throw my personal experience out there.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Homeopathy ftw!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Homeopathy ftw!

it's not homeopathy. google it.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Homeopathy ftw!

it's not homeopathy. google it.

It was a general dig at your own distaste for ~*~science~*~. Why would I google the evils of artificial sweeteners? People far better qualified than I have declared them safe and my own dietitian is in favour of enjoying a Diet Coke if I want a soft drink. I'm not such a narcissist that I assume my own 'research' via Google to be superior to their education and experience.

I love Cherry Coke Zero! Seriously, OP, if you want to have a soft drink and you can't afford the calories for one made with sugar then drink one flavoured with artificial sweetener. There are no dangers besides a laxative effect if you drink a dozen cans in one sitting. Don't drink a dozen cans in one sitting.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Sure, if you believe the "science" funded by wealthy corporations. The FDA lets many harmful ingredients go into the foods being sold, and to believe otherwise is beyond naive.

This is not to say that I don't have occasional diet sodas, but I definitely think aspartame is bad. I use Stevia or Truvia in my coffee.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Everything in large enough quantities is toxic. Most things low in dosage are not.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Sure, if you believe the "science" funded by wealthy corporations. The FDA lets many harmful ingredients go into the foods being sold, and to believe otherwise is beyond naive.

This is not to say that I don't have occasional diet sodas, but I definitely think aspartame is bad. I use Stevia or Truvia in my coffee.

Because all studies are funded by the FDA in all countries?
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

EL-OH-EL

Truvia was developed by Coca-cola. Is Coca-cola a "good" corporation?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Because all studies are funded by the FDA in all countries?

pretty sure coca cola is a company that exists worldwide and can thus exert significant influence wherever they want.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to answer on all artificial sweetners, but as far as Aspartame I cannot have anything with it. I am epileptic (not caused by Aspartame), but when I do consume a product with Aspartame I will have more seizure activity. I do not know if it causes more episodes or whether it decreases my medicines effictiveness but once I cut it out of my diet I was able to go a few years without having a seizure while being on medicine.

Take that as you want - but at least for me Aspartame is not a good idea for me. As far as the other ones go, I generally try to stay away from them as much as possible because I do not want to chance it. If you are looking to stay away from Aspartame, there are a lot of products that contain Aspartame besides Diet Sodas. For example, almost all light yogurts contain it as well as quite a few brands of chewing gum and even mints. I always check the label and it can be quite surprising to see how many products actually contain aspartame out there (even some cold medicines contain it!).

This may not be the good scientific that you are looking for, but I just figured I would throw my personal experience out there.

This is interesting. There was a study a few years ago that concluded aspatame can cause seizures in kids - can't remember where I saw the study, so do not know re: amounts, etc., just found this interesting.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love me some aspartame.

It sure is delicious.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    FOR artificial sweetners... AGAINST drinking over a litre of diet coke a day or things of that nature... all things in moderation including artificial sweetners.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    People probably breathe in more chemicals filling up their gas tank, cleaning their bathroom and walking through an industrialized city then there is in a can of diet coke.