Artificial Sweeteners

Options
2»

Replies

• rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    For or against?

I'm generally against (but seriously, I love to sit on my deck and drink a cold diet coke).

I'm good with Stevia. I haven't really done the research on all the rest. Anyone have some good solid scientific info?

if you're going to base your decision on what scientific studies have "proven" then drink your diet coke and cross your fingers.

if you trust holistic medicine that isn't funded by lobbyists, then you'd be better off dumping it.

but that's your call.

Translation: Science says they're fine. Woo-merchants fear them.

Sure, if you believe the "science" funded by wealthy corporations. The FDA lets many harmful ingredients go into the foods being sold, and to believe otherwise is beyond naive.

This is not to say that I don't have occasional diet sodas, but I definitely think aspartame is bad. I use Stevia or Truvia in my coffee.

Because all studies are funded by the FDA in all countries?
    What? I'm not talking about the FDA funding studies. I'm talking about what ingredients are allowed to go into foods in the U.S., and my point is that I don't blindly put my trust in the government gatekeepers of what is supposedly safe to consume.

And regarding Coca Cola, I don't think they're good. I picked it up without doing my research by reading the label in full. Now I see that it has sugar alcohol, which isn't something I want to put into my body.

The bottom line is, what is the problem with people questioning food safety, especially when there are dangerous chemicals being put in so many foods?
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Isn't truvia just as "bad" as other sweeteners (except stevia)?
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    For or against?

I'm generally against (but seriously, I love to sit on my deck and drink a cold diet coke).

I'm good with Stevia. I haven't really done the research on all the rest. Anyone have some good solid scientific info?

if you're going to base your decision on what scientific studies have "proven" then drink your diet coke and cross your fingers.

if you trust holistic medicine that isn't funded by lobbyists, then you'd be better off dumping it.

but that's your call.

Sure, if you believe the "science" funded by wealthy corporations. The FDA lets many harmful ingredients go into the foods being sold, and to believe otherwise is beyond naive.

This is not to say that I don't have occasional diet sodas, but I definitely think aspartame is bad. I use Stevia or Truvia in my coffee.

What? I'm not talking about the FDA funding studies. I'm talking about what ingredients are allowed to go into foods in the U.S., and my point is that I don't blindly put my trust in the government gatekeepers of what is supposedly safe to consume.

And regarding Coca Cola, I don't think they're good. I picked it up without doing my research by reading the label in full. Now I see that it has sugar alcohol, which isn't something I want to put into my body.

The bottom line is, what is the problem with people questioning food safety, especially when there are dangerous chemicals being put in so many foods?

What, specifically, are these "dangerous chemicals" you're referring to?
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I love me some aspartame.

LOL Yup!! Though, stevia has flavored sweeteners I like :)
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my coffee but otherwise I don't really sweeten anything.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just about EVERYTHING has some research saying it is bad for you so I am going to enjoy my aspertame and not worry about it!
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    For or against?

but that's your call.

Go ahead and question food safety. If you've the background and can access the studies (not Google for links), read them for yourself. The conclusions you draw from the research might be a little problematic if you aren't especially well versed in subject. Personally I don't have the higher quals and medical degree needed to second guess medical doctors and those who make a living researching the safety of these ingredients. Instead of Googling and finding out that everything in the world causes cancer I trust their judgement and enjoy a Coke Zero occasionally.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid the heaps of bovine excrement that usually is flung through these threads, so I will just answer the OP's question and leave the thread. :flowerforyou:

I'm fine with artificial sweeteners as long as the dosage isn't astronomically high. Having a diet soda won't kill me unless I swallow down the wrong pipe and choke to death. Neither will that piece of cheesecake made with Splenda instead of sugar cause me to die a horrible death as though someone just made me injest pure chlorine gas.

There's too much fear mongering going on these days.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Truvia is a brand name of stevia.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    For years I was soooo against artificial sweeteners. I actually wrote my thesis paper on aspartame and the negative health effects. The research wasn't really conclusive. Then I decided I didn't want to be fat anymore. I switched to diet soda and low sugar/artificially sweetened stuff and dropped a bunch of weight. I'm not saying it's necessary - you can eat a healthy diet without artificial anything and lose weight, but for me it was really helpful. My opinion is - great weight loss tool, possibly terrible for your health. It's a trade off I'm willing to take - for now!
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    I don't really have an opinion on them--I used to drink tons of diet pop, and I still prefer sweet and low for iced tea over anything else. I don't think they are that great though, at least for certain people. A lot of people I know react pretty badly to sweeteners with headaches and stuff. My biggest surprise was when I lost five pounds at the start of the year by switching from diet sodas to regular, for whatever reason.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not consuming ridiculous amounts daily and do not have a sensitivity or PKU, they are fine.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    NEWS FLASH

It's true Coke a Cola was found guilty for paying off 93 governments of the 106 countries who deemed aspartame safe so that they could sell their products in those countries.......just think, if everyone knew how bad aspartame truly was as all holistic Dr's know from birth, the USA would go from 44th on the world health meter to 42nd....shame it's all a big secret and all worldwide studies are composed of lies and bad bad Dr's. :devil: just kidding, it was 92 countries.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan--I don't like the weird aftertaste, mostly, and try to avoid processed foods in general. That said, I do use a whey supplement that contains sucralose. I don't live off whey shakes--I use them as intended, to supplement, so I'm ok with that bit of "bad" stuff in my diet on a regular basis. To each his own, IMO.