fasting??

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Question: you've read the thread but have you actually gone and read the controlled scientific studies into fasting and its effect on humans and animals?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/daniel-bartlett/52-diet-intermittent-fasting-another-fad_b_2637955.html

You mean stuff like that? Yes I have. I have to agree with the author.

And if intermittent fasting works for you, like I said before, great. I think it gives a lot of people the wrong idea however.
    How is that a scientific study? It's someone's opinion. The 5/2 diet isn't really a reflection of Leangains, as it takes other variables such as macro and calorie cycling into account, as well as spot checks on your lifts for progressive overload. There is an overall goal of consistent progression as opposed to "Der, I'm going to just not eat so i can binge later on whatever i feel like" like the majoirty of "IF" diets now becoming popular.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Question: you've read the thread but have you actually gone and read the controlled scientific studies into fasting and its effect on humans and animals?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/daniel-bartlett/52-diet-intermittent-fasting-another-fad_b_2637955.html

And if intermittent fasting works for you, like I said before, great. I think it gives a lot of people the wrong idea however.
    How is that a scientific study? It's someone's opinion. The 5/2 diet isn't really a reflection of Leangains, as it takes other variables such as macro and calorie cycling into account, as well as spot checks on your lifts for progressive overload. There is an overall goal of consistent progression as opposed to "Der, I'm going to just not eat so i can binge later on whatever i feel like" like the majoirty of "IF" diets now becoming popular.

agreed.

And the "oh, I need to exercise to get to my goal physique?" seems to go hand in hand with that.
  • SCboundbauers
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that fasting is NOT a good idea. I have always been the type of person that doesnt eat a lot. I get busy with life and forget to eat... which in turn has made it impossible for me to eat a whole lot at one setting. I have now changed my habbits to eating little tidbits all day long as long as I track my intake I seem to be doing great along with my new Zumba routine that is actually amazing me!! I have never craved food as I hear people talk about so the food is not really my problem its the lack of excersize which is why I am excited to get back to work!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ^^ Just to piggy-back, a lot of people 'bulk' doing IF as well.

Yep, I just did. Gained the most strength since my noobie weight lifting days, yet my waist never went past 34.5 inches.

But yeah, IF is "just a gimmick" I use.

Your meal timing had nothing to do with it.

Just saying.

My waist is 32.5 and I eat whenever I want.

Yuo mad?
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

the key word here is 'author' try reading what some of the DOCTORS have to say about it, rather than some snotty nosed journalist trying to sell newspapers.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that fasting is NOT a good idea. I have always been the type of person that doesnt eat a lot. I get busy with life and forget to eat... which in turn has made it impossible for me to eat a whole lot at one setting. I have now changed my habbits to eating little tidbits all day long as long as I track my intake I seem to be doing great along with my new Zumba routine that is actually amazing me!! I have never craved food as I hear people talk about so the food is not really my problem its the lack of excersize which is why I am excited to get back to work!

Not a good idea for you, certainly looks like the case

but for some of us it IS a good idea.

Nobody is trying to force anyone to do fasting, the pressure is coming from the other side, fasting doesnt work for you? Fine, it works for some people, thats great.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Not a good idea for you, certainly looks like the case

but for some of us it IS a good idea.

Nobody is trying to force anyone to do fasting, the pressure is coming from the other side, fasting doesnt work for you? Fine, it works for some people, thats great.
    This!
  • wheelerk12
    Options
    Fasting is good when it comes to perhaps a spiritual aspect of your life, for what you believe in, not as a form of punishment but as a form of discipline of oneself, prayer, and also reverence. Its also important to keep in mind that there are different types of fast, the most common is a "Partial Fast". So for example, for Lent right now I have gone Vegan for the 40 Days, its hard but I find it rather enthralling to know I am able resist the temptation of glutteny through prayer (I'm Catholic in case you're wondering) without starving myself like some extremist do. Now a complete fast is usually just on day of going without food, water, etc (this I do not like) and though hard, it can be done. It is those who try to go beyond that, that are hurting themselves, like my cousin who only ate once a day for Lent last year, now that was bad. Fasting diet wise however I would not recommend because doing so will deprive yourself of nutrients, vitamins, etc that you need and I also lacks a significant foundation unless you are fasting from certain foods for health sake such as high cholesterol, and so on. :)
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Fasting is stupid and you'll just ruin your metabolism. You will lose weight even faster if you have a healthy calorie goal and excercise a lot

Uninformed people are stupid actually.

Fasting won't ruin your metabolism. Millions of people over the centuries have fasted for all sorts of reasons. Health, spiritual, self-discipline.

Personally I don't fast (right now, I have in the past) but I think it's a perfectly valid choice if people want to do it.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Fasting is good when it comes to perhaps a spiritual aspect of your life, for what you believe in, not as a form of punishment but as a form of discipline of oneself, prayer, and also reverence. Its also important to keep in mind that there are different types of fast, the most common is a "Partial Fast". So for example, for Lent right now I have gone Vegan for the 40 Days, its hard but I find it rather enthralling to know I am able resist the temptation of glutteny through prayer (I'm Catholic in case you're wondering) without starving myself like some extremist do. Now a complete fast is usually just on day of going without food, water, etc (this I do not like) and though hard, it can be done. It is those who try to go beyond that, that are hurting themselves, like my cousin who only ate once a day for Lent last year, now that was bad. Fasting diet wise however I would not recommend because doing so will deprive yourself of nutrients, vitamins, etc that you need and I also lacks a significant foundation unless you are fasting from certain foods for health sake such as high cholesterol, and so on. :)

I think as you'll see from this thread, most people dont use fasting as a form of punishment, but as a form of reward, being able to eat foods that are nice for us in a way that we enjoy.

i certainly dont punish my body with fasting, I have not heard one person say that. In fact in most senses of the word religions don't punish themselves with fasting, it is used as a vessel of spiritual and emotional growth. it really is (i am sorry to say) only the Catholics who feel the need to put everything in the world into neat boxes of 'punishment' or 'reward' and often they replace the word 'reward' with 'sin' making it a lose/lose situation.

Fasting is very much a win/win, positive situation for many of us.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Fasting is stupid and you'll just ruin your metabolism. You will lose weight even faster if you have a healthy calorie goal and excercise a lot

Uninformed people are stupid actually.

Fasting won't ruin your metabolism. Millions of people over the centuries have fasted for all sorts of reasons. Health, spiritual, self-discipline.

Personally I don't fast (right now, I have in the past) but I think it's a perfectly valid choice if people want to do it.

Am i reading correctly? Someone who doesnt fast actually respecting the choices of people who do?

I thought it would never happen ;)

Thank you x
  • PatrickCoyle
    PatrickCoyle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I fast every day from 8pm to 12pm. I eat 3 meals a day to meet my calories and macro requirements. I can honestly say I wouldn't have lost all the weight I have without fasting. my body feels great and when in a fasted state as I feel more productive and alert.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

No, I mean what I asked.....have you read any of the controlled scientific studies? An opinion piece from a Huffington hack is in no way a replacement for going and looking at the actual data.

So......have you? ;-)

ETA: I have a feeling the piece you linked to was the first thing you got up on Google but by the by, did you read it closely? If you did you'd notice that the author admitted himself that studies are showing that fasting has great health benefits. Did you also notice that he advises IF to his OWN clients when they have plateaued? His beef with it was that he (erroneously) believes that when people aren't fasting they are face down in a mountain of burgers and not giving a shyte about nutrition....which simply isn't the case from what I've seen of the diaries and anecdotes of the many, many types of fasters on this board.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

No, I mean what I asked.....have you read any of the controlled scientific studies? An opinion piece from a Huffington hack is in no way a replacement for going and looking at the actual data.

So......have you? ;-)

ETA: I have a feeling the piece you linked to was the first thing you got up on Google but by the by, did you read it closely? If you did you'd notice that the author admitted himself that studies are showing that fasting has great health benefits. Did you also notice that he advises IF to his OWN clients when they have plateaued? His beef with it was that he (erroneously) believes that when people aren't fasting they are face down in a mountain of burgers and not giving a shyte about nutrition....which simply isn't the case from what I've seen of the diaries and anecdotes of the many, many types of fasters on this board.

Of course he hasn't. He's a troll that has latched onto the idea that something he has no knowledge of is negative, opened his mouth without any education on the subject, and is now defending his false perspective with ghost arguments.

The majority (if not all) of these incredibly lean, incredibly strong, incredibly muscular people on this thread have praised IF in one form or another. Not one of them has claimed it is necessary, but not one has had anything negative to say about it. I'm sorry, if it were a 'fad' diet like raspberry ketones or any of the other craptastic diet gimmicks out there, that wouldn't be happening.

The thing about IF that this troll (and others across the microcosm of MFP) can't seem to figure out, is the real IF protocols (leangains, Eat Stop Eat, etc) are based on the same solid science that you HAVE to apply in order to have weight loss success with a more typical first world diet (i.e. multiple meals timed throughout the day). That being, you have to consume less than you expend in order to lose weight, and consume more than you expend in order to gain weight. Plain and simple. The main, PROVEN benifits to IF for SOME PEOPLE are better adherance due to things like work and social compatibility, improved FEELING of overall health (both mental and physical), and improved quality of life. For myself, I find I'm stronger, more alert, and less tired when I haven't eaten since the night before. Moving on though...these are real benifits and cannot be denied. Claimed benifits are actual documentable improved health, improved weight loss due to 'hormonal response', and various others I don't feel like looking up again (I've read most of the IF books out there). These will be argued until the world ends, I'm sure.

The point is...VERY few people who have actually TRIED IF, have anything at all negative to say about it...and the science backing it is solid. It's very, very simple...none of these things hold true for 'fad' or 'gimmick' diets, or 'weight loss tricks'.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that fasting is NOT a good idea for me. I have always been the type of person that doesnt eat a lot. I get busy with life and forget to eat... which in turn has made it impossible for me to eat a whole lot at one setting. I have now changed my habbits to eating little tidbits all day long as long as I track my intake I seem to be doing great along with my new Zumba routine that is actually amazing me!! I have never craved food as I hear people talk about so the food is not really my problem its the lack of excersize which is why I am excited to get back to work!

There, I added some words in bold to make your statement more valid, and less judgmental.

Here's a couple facts for you. First, exercise is irrelevant to weight loss (note, I didn't say irrelevant to overall health). So, the lack of exercise was never your problem as far as weight loss is concerned. Second, eating small amounts of higher calorie food choices later in the day (within a typical intermittent fasting window of say, 12pm to 8pm) would have the same net effect on your weight loss as snacking on lower calorie food choices all day long. This would not be affected by your inability to eat larger meals.

Now...please understand!...I am in no way trying to shed a negative light on your efforts, your motivation, or your success. But it's important (in the context of MFP) that you understand why and how things are working, so that you don't make ignorant blanket statements that directly mislead other MFP forumites.

For example:
    I have learned the hard way that fasting is NOT a good idea.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me personally, reading about intermittent fasting, and then stopping worrying that I "should" eat breakfast and that I "should" eat small meals all day, before I might get hungry and binge -- all that has been very helpful. Now I eat when I want to, which is pretty much from noon until 8-9 pm. And I am losing weight, happier.

I have had this same experience.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

So......have you? ;-)

Of course he hasn't. He's a troll that has latched onto the idea that something he has no knowledge of is negative, opened his mouth without any education on the subject, and is now defending his false perspective with ghost arguments.

The majority (if not all) of these incredibly lean, incredibly strong, incredibly muscular people on this thread have praised IF in one form or another. Not one of them has claimed it is necessary, but not one has had anything negative to say about it. I'm sorry, if it were a 'fad' diet like raspberry ketones or any of the other craptastic diet gimmicks out there, that wouldn't be happening.

The thing about IF that this troll (and others across the microcosm of MFP) can't seem to figure out, is the real IF protocols (leangains, Eat Stop Eat, etc) are based on the same solid science that you HAVE to apply in order to have weight loss success with a more typical first world diet (i.e. multiple meals timed throughout the day). That being, you have to consume less than you expend in order to lose weight, and consume more than you expend in order to gain weight. Plain and simple. The main, PROVEN benifits to IF for SOME PEOPLE are better adherance due to things like work and social compatibility, improved FEELING of overall health (both mental and physical), and improved quality of life. For myself, I find I'm stronger, more alert, and less tired when I haven't eaten since the night before. Moving on though...these are real benifits and cannot be denied. Claimed benifits are actual documentable improved health, improved weight loss due to 'hormonal response', and various others I don't feel like looking up again (I've read most of the IF books out there). These will be argued until the world ends, I'm sure.

The point is...VERY few people who have actually TRIED IF, have anything at all negative to say about it...and the science backing it is solid. It's very, very simple...none of these things hold true for 'fad' or 'gimmick' diets, or 'weight loss tricks'.

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend it.
    I know to many of you fasting means eating a lower amount of calories than normal e cutting from 1,500/day to 700 for 1 day but it really can go so wrong. I began fasting to make up for binges I had...then fasting became more and more frequent, and now I struggle to eat above 800 calories on a regular basis, despite maintaing a very active lifestyle (3-5 hours of dance monday to friday, an hour of walking everyday, the gm 3-4 times a week).

Just eat three healthy and balanced meals per day and some snacks in between. For those who feel they need to detox via fasting I would suggest trying a raw clense or something where calories are still being consumed at a healthy level.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend it.
    I know to many of you fasting means eating a lower amount of calories than normal e cutting from 1,500/day to 700 for 1 day but it really can go so wrong. I began fasting to make up for binges I had...then fasting became more and more frequent, and now I struggle to eat above 800 calories on a regular basis, despite maintaing a very active lifestyle (3-5 hours of dance monday to friday, an hour of walking everyday, the gm 3-4 times a week).

Just eat three healthy and balanced meals per day and some snacks in between. For those who feel they need to detox via fasting I would suggest trying a raw clense or something where calories are still being consumed at a healthy level.

That is so NOT true, just because you did does NOT means that what everyone does. Reality is fasting is good and healthy and has so many other healthy benifits to it. I love fasting and I eat the same amount of calories on fast days as I do on normal days. EVERYONE I know (with the exception of one person and he fasts for 36 hours as opposed to 24) eats the same amount of calories on fast days as they do every other day. Starving yourself or making up for binges is NOT what fasting is all about. You went about it all wrong. Read up on the benifits of fasting, true fasting, and you may be surprised to learn something.

Fasting is not about detoxing, not even close to it. You are to blame for your current eating disorder, fasting is NOT to blame, because what you did was not fast, you intentionally starved your body to make up for over eating. Two different things completely. You told yourself it was fasting, but it wasn't.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think it's been said before, but maybe bears repeating-,fasting or a similar approach is NOT recommended for anyone with a tendency to eating disorders.