High Intensity Interval Training

Options
Has anybody had any experience with HIT, also known as Surge or Burst training. The science behind seems to make sense.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    It does make sense and It works great, but isn't for everybody. Some can't handle it.

Try it and review your progress. If it's working, keep it up!
  • shellylenawilson
    Options
    I have been doing it for app. 6 weeks with my fiancee and neither one of us had lost a pound?? I have adrenal failure that I am taking supplements for so am not really surprised by my lack of loss, but thought for sure he would have some loss. We warm up for about 3 minutes and then do 3- 30 second intervals where our heart rates elevate to 160-180, then rest. Any suggestions, maybe more time on the tread mill walking?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I like it.
    I used it a lot when I was conditioning for soccer. I'd do 15-30 seconds of all out sprinting then close to a minute of a slower "jog".
    The cybek machine and elliptical were my favorites for this.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I only do HIIT for my cardio, no more than 40-60 minutes a week total, broken down in 20 minute sessions (on the treadmill).

It goes by so fast and it is actually pretty fun! I am past the days of spending hours on the elliptical or other boring cardio machines. I'm just trying to keep up my fitness level at this point.
  • Shelleybean29
    Shelleybean29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just finished Les Mills Combat for 60 days and loved it. In addition I go to my local fit club 3 nights a week where we do P90X, Insanity, RevAbs, Pump, etc. It is highly effective. It can be super tough though!
  • Mrs_Fit
    Mrs_Fit Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just started the Insanity workout with Shaun T. This is my 3rd day. I will be sure to check back and let you know how it works.

Bump
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love doing Tabata/HIIT I get bored easily so this works great for me, check out some of the workouts on Fitnessblender.com if your interested :)

What is Tabata= http://www.fithealthymoms.com/2011/04/11/tabata-workout/
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You burn more in the same amount of time and I find it less boring! I spend my time thinking of when to reduce/increase speed etc so time passes easier. Also fun to try to beat my fastest previous speed! It feels empowering :D

Though I've read before somewhere not to do it everyday as it is exhausting..

You should give it a try, mixes up your workout routine! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Most of my cardio is based around HIIT. Jump roping, BW exercises, and most recently sandbags. I enjoy the intensity of it.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Its the best!

Im losing fat at the moment while keeping my muscle loss to a minimum.

I do x3 days a week HIIT circuits and x2 days a week Interval training.

HIIT creates an after burn effect which will help you burn more calories throughout the day.

Since starting my Cardio has dramaitically improved as a result of HIIT workouts.

Here are some helpful links:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/12/18/hiit-treadmill-workout/

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/09/21/advanced-interval-training-treadmill-workout/

Afterburn
    http://www.builtlean.com/2011/06/29/afterburn-effect-of-exercise-qa-with-dr-christopher-scott-phd/
  • Katey_Gabbitas
    Katey_Gabbitas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on a spin bike with a trainer on Mondays and Tuesdays, and on a treadmill on Thursdays, in half an hour sessions. I've lost 20lbs in 10 weeks :) And my fitness has increased so much!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I love it, gets you fit very quickly and great burns. I find the elliptical great for HIIT and run/walk.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do this on my treadmill getting my heart rate up to about 170-180. I do about 50 seconds and then 1 min rest or a fast paced walk (because I like to keep moving) and I do it for about 20 - 30 min max. It's hard but I like it much better than just straight running.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% plus diet, 20% exercise. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. I do 30% carbs, but for now try...

40% carbs
    30% protein
    30% fat

Never go above 40% carbs

If you are going from the settings here is 55% carbs, which is too high.

Home, goals, change goals, custom...

Hope that helps!

Zara
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I do P90X and use Turbo Fire HIIT classes to get in my 15 to 20 minutes are Cardio after weight lifting. I love it.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT, and especially all out sprints. But all out sprints do carry a risk of injury if you're not up for them. So don't go crazy right off the bat with it. Work your way up to all out sprints, or just do longer 1 - 2 minute intervals.

I've found that HIIT is great with an exercise bike. There is a low risk of pulling something, and you can just read a book or something during the rest interval (I do 30 second all effort, followed by 2 - 3 minute rest intervals).
  • shellylenawilson
    Options
    Thanks for all of your reply's. I guess we will keep at it and see what happens.

My carb count for the day is typically less than 20%- cannot eat wheat or gluten. I would say that 80% of the time we eat whole foods-hopefully something will happn soon.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity in October and December. I lost 5 pounds (meh), but I also took 3 inches off my waist, 1.5 inches off my hips and 1.5 inches off each thigh (wish I'd measured more places, but those are the ones that matter to me). I got more definition in my calves, a new bulgy spot on the back of my lower thigh and some definition in my arms. I even got the beginnings of a line down the center of my abs and the sides of my abs went from convex to concave (hot damn, I'm getting abs). I was pretty damn pleased with myself. I also went from struggling to do one real push-up to doing SIXTEEN.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    HIIT works wonders. Improves strength and endurance but be careful not to over train with it, it's hard but worth every minute.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You need to do it like this: 3 min slow, 1-3 min fast (so fast you can barely breathe), repeat (try to do this for about 45 min). Do no more than twice a week. Three days, do easy workout for about an hour, then 1 day do easy workout for about 90 minutes. By "easy workout" that means between 50-75% Max HR. I've been doing this with the advice of a very established Personal Trainer, and it's given wonderful results.

For calorie counts, since I do it on a recumbent bike due to knee injury in the past, look up
    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/stationary_biking