5' ladies what's your daily caloric intake?

Options

Replies

• Itssojen
    Itssojen Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently eat 1310 a day, plus my exercise calories, and I'm losing weight slowly and consistently. I started out a year ago at 150.8 pounds, and I'm now at 118.2. I did the whole 1,200 a day thing, and I plateaued for 4 months because of it. There's a happy medium between eating too much and too little, and I had to find that. I have a very low BMR - something like 1,256, so I eat between BMR and TDEE. The best thing you can do is to calculate all these numbers and go from there, but the 1,200 thing does not work long term, in my opinion. My goal weight was 125, and I surpassed that by eating more.

I allow myself cheat meals/days, and I'm not super strict on myself. I like to enjoy my life, and food comes with that. If I want a night out at Chili's, we have a night out at Chili's. Once I stopped being so hard on myself, I started losing weight again.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't always work for everyone. I tried it and only ended up gaining so I'm going back down from 1600 to 1300. At 1300 is where I lost most of my weight. I'm 5'3"

I am the same way. One thing some people don't understand is that the assumptions behind the calculators may not apply to you. The only way to get a reliable metabolic rate is to be tested in a lab.

I don't have a problem with people trying to to use the guidelines, but after using them for several weeks without success they're often advised to eat MORE, which is nuts.
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    well im 5'5
    but i eat between 1300-2200 calories depending on the day lol..my avererage overall last week was 1550 NET calories a day and around 1700 eaten everyday , and ive lost a 5lbs since 3/01/13. I also weigh 171.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you are eating too little that can be the reason you are stalling, especially if you are only eating 1200 plus working out and not eating back your calories. I'm 5'0 and my BMR is 1243, I can't imagine anyone else's on here is MUCH lower than that. That means that eating at 1200 calories I'd already be eating less than I would need for daily function of my body.

I eat 1650 right now and don't count the calories I burn exercising. I used fat2fit to find out what I should be eating for my target of 21% body fat and they suggested between 1700 and 1900 calories, so I'm slowly upping it to that. I think I will stay around 1650 for a while and eventually get to 1700 or 1800. Once I get to my goal I will maintain at 2200. I lift 3-4 days a week and do cardio when I feel like it. Sometimes it is 4 days a week, sometimes it is zero. Really depends on the weather and my mood.

Like I said, I am 5'0, 120 pounds. 25% body fat at the moment. Hoping to get down to 115 (only a 5 pound loss) and maintain my muscle so I can be at 21% body fat.

Sidenote- for those of you who say you don't necessarily want to lose weight but you want to gain muscle, there is no possible way you can gain muscle on 1200 calories a day. Lose fat, yes. But you will also be LOSING muscle. You need to fuel your muscles in order for them to maintain and gain. Food for thought. (pun intended)

*edit- I also wanted to say that the reason I have my calories set the way I do is because unless you have an HRM, there is no way to definitely tell how many calories you are burning daily. Cardio machines can be inaccurate. I want to eat consistent calories, no matter how matter how many calories I burn in a day. If I burn 700 one day and 20 the next, I don't want my intake to differ that much and be finding food to fill up the calories I burned. That's just how I prefer to do it, though.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If I've met my activity goal for the day (10k steps or more) I net16 to 1700 per day.
    To reach this goal, I do 3 30 minute dog walks per day. (I don't count my weight training exercises which is 3x per week and takes me about 40 minutes at the gym)

I'm 5' tall
    sw: 160
    cw: 153
    gw: 120

:drinker:
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    5'3'', I set my calories to 1550 but I don't log like everything (coffee, spices, cooking oil etc) so I probably eat about 1700 kcal actually. :3 I'm trying to maintain my weight, so I may need to up it more once I 'get used to' this..

to lose weight I ate 1200-1350 kcal (plus the unlogged calories).

I do this too...but I still take into consideration portion sizes. But i though I was being a big cheat. haha

I am 5'4 210ish pounds and I eat between 1200-1400 a day. Sometimes more if I am hungry. I am not very active. Hope to be soon! And when I am you're damn right im going to eat back m exercise calories. I haven't touched a scale in three weeks, but last week I was down 2 inches :)
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    1425 cals for me. :)

I was doing 1200 but it wasn't enough. I'm much happier and have more energy now that I upped my cals.
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

But 3-4 days a week I get that. Those days I either have an exercise rest day, or a small 45 min workout. On bigger workout days, 2days a week, I will eat a few more say 1400.
    And then I have a cheat meal - usually Saturday night, Date night with husband. Cheat meal being a 800-1000 calorie meal, so 2-3 glasses of wine, and a pasta. I usually eat 1700-2000 that day. NOT a 3500cal food fest free for all.
    I work out that day too.

That averages to 1400 a day for the week.

With about 1700-2500 a week in exercise.

I am 5'1.5.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1".
    SW 225
    CW 211
    GW125 - 130.
    I have really been playing w/my numbers to find the right fit for me. 1200 is definitely too low for me unless I eat back every single exercise calorie. I currently have my calories set at 1430. I try eat back at least enough exercise calories to make sure I net 1450, which means some days I might eat a total of 1800 - 2000 calories. I have lost almost 15 lbs in 2 mo. (1.5 - 2 lbs a week) & 3" from my waist & 2" from hips.
    My 2 cents worth - if your daily goal is 1200, make sure that is you net calories - eat back those exercise calories.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    HI

I'm 5'2 (stood really really tall :laugh:)

I'm eating around 1600 a day - sometimes a little more if I've had a very active day sometimes a little less if I've been a slug on the couch all day.

I'm doing new rules of lifting for women to try and help keep my LBM. I'm not looking at the scales so much - but I am keeping measurements and taking photos :noway: :laugh:

Please please don't listen to the people who eat under 1200 - I know at least one of them has an ED and should not be giving any advice based on her eating habits.

I second reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

and also looking in this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Yes, some people lose at 1200 - but why do that if you don't have too :flowerforyou:
  • ursus_feminus
    ursus_feminus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1 ( 5' 2'' according to my driver's license, lol) and I lost 55 pounds eating about 1200 a day... but hit a huge plateau for many months, felt hungry and deprived all the time and I was quite irritable. I've since discovered that with about 1500 cals, I have more energy to exercise and feel much happier!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    HI

I'm 5'2 (stood really really tall :laugh:)

I'm eating around 1600 a day - sometimes a little more if I've had a very active day sometimes a little less if I've been a slug on the couch all day.

I'm doing new rules of lifting for women to try and help keep my LBM. I'm not looking at the scales so much - but I am keeping measurements and taking photos :noway: :laugh:

Please please don't listen to the people who eat under 1200 - I know at least one of them has an ED and should not be giving any advice based on her eating habits.

I second reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

and also looking in this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Yes, some people lose at 1200 - but why do that if you don't have too :flowerforyou:

yes yes yes. totally agree, especially the last part of the above quoted post. Reading some of the diary entries will give you a better view of the source of some of the advice you see here. Just sayin'. diet folks can be a bit twisted :laugh:
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    5'0 on a tall day (actually 4'11.5" or so).

SW: 118lbs
    CW:111lbs
    GW: was 107lbs, but decided to stay at 111lbs for now and focus on recompostion as oppsed to weight loss.

I was losing at around 1500 calories per day. I'm upping my calories to around 1650 per day to lower the deficit and will then be increasing to about 1850 in the next few weeks. My TDEE ranges from 1700-2200 depedning on my activity.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 130. I eat 2000 to 2200. I'd be starving if I ate less. I don't know how people survive on 1200 calories and not eating back exercise calories. Good luck OP!!!
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm 5', started at 177. I eat 1200 calories (the # given to me my MFP) and almost ALL of my exercise calories back. I've lost 46 lbs, right at a pound a week. My original goal was 130 but now that I'm within a pound, I see that 125 is probably better. If I eat the right foods- lots of protein and vegetables - 1200 calories is enough and I'm not hungry. When I eat fast food or junk, 1200 doesn't feel like enough so I exercise more to buy back additional calories. (and sometimes I just plain go over). I think MFP is a miracle tool and I wish you much success. Let me know if I can help in any way.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Why should they lose according to *your* schedule? Some people do better when they see results.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Why should they lose according to *your* schedule? Some people do better when they see results.

I'm sorry what? :huh:

I didn't give a "schedule" I said some people lose on 1200 and are you implying I haven't seen any results?

You gave your opinion and I gave mine - no need to attack me for it. :noway: I'm sure the op can make up her own mind.
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I third this!!! I'm 5'1" and am eating around 1500 - 1750 a day... I'm 108lb and I'm maintaining
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!