Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Proof you can't out-exercise a bad diet....

Hi folks

Thought i'd share with you what happened to me this week. Was on a 3 day work conference in a very plush hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon.

This year, i've been extremely controlled thanks to MFP and some tunnel vision of my own. I knew i couldnt log and had no idea what was in the food. I made the decision to eat like the others, 3 courses and bread rolls on the side - didnt want to make a fuss and didnt want my colleagues getting concerned about what they could perceive as OCD.

Of course at breakfast, i stuck to muesli as opposed to the bacon, egg, sausages etc but in general, there wasnt many choices to make. To combat this, day 1 - long-ish morning swim, 1.5 hrs evening cardio, day 2 - 10 mile run @ 8mph on the tread in the hotel at the crack of dawn, day 3 session on rowing machine and a full medicine ball and abs workout.

So what happened?

Well, i gave myself a day to eat normal again, cut out salt and make sure the water weight was gone. So now I weighed myself, i've put on over 2 lbs. Proof indeed you cant out exercise a bad diet (or is that a 'normal' diet you can no longer out exercise). Anyway, hope you are all enjoying the arrival of summer and the World Cup..

Kenny

Replies

• sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    :wink: I know this to be true, but REALLY needed to hear this right now. Thank you Kenny! :wink:
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    That is one of my favorite qoutes...and it's so true. I posted it on my FB status a few weeks ago and got quite a few questions/responses about it. Lots of people don't understand what it means. I had to explain it to many people.
    Good thing it was only 2 pounds, you'll be rid of those in no time.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    I know this to be true. Took a week vacation to Colorado.....hiked my fanny off, or so I thought! I still tried to log in my food but did not have the portion control I had at home. Also indulged in appetizers and desserts a few times. Came home to Mr. Scale and he was frowning back up at me. I was up 4 lbs. That was more than 2 weeks ago. I have 1.5 more pounds to get off to get back to my pre-vacation weight. I soooooooooooooooo get this post! Thanks for warning others!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Thank you so much for this! I always want to stray away from eating healthy and just go for the junk cause its easy and I worked out!!

And I'm so impressed with 8 MPH!! That's amazing---and 10 miles! What a motivation! Great Job! :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I can relate because my husband and I went on a cruise in March and while I made (mostly) healthy choice, there were a few nights were portion control went out the window because our waiter brought out extra courses for us to try (many we weren't a fan of so it wasn't too big of a problem - e.g. escargot :sick: ) But to counter than we took the stairs EVERYWHERE, and when we were in port, it was a 3-mile drive back to the ship and instead of catching a cab we made it a brisk walk. Took my water bottle to make sure I drank plenty, but as was mentioned, not having control over how food is made and what ingredients they used I still managed to gain 1 lb. But the weight gain didn't bother me because I knew I'd done my best to not overdo, and overall it was so worth it - we had a blast!
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    I have further proof. I'm 19 and was until recently a national level swimmer, and a champion regionally. I've always been overweight (no it's not muscle, there has always been a lot of fat too! lol) despite swimming 18hrs/week and hitting the gym for a furthur 4.5. Diet is of primary importance! I'm gonna get back on track! lol Cake for breakfast today, felt so guilty I went to a spin class! :) Good Luck guys with the weight loss, I know you can do it!!
  • narna04
    narna04 Posts: 18
    I totally agree with your post!! I'm still trying to get off the pounds that happened last weekend.:tongue:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    For you to have gained 2 lbs of fat in 3 days, based on the exercise you say you did, you would have needed to eat over 5,000 cals/day which is pretty hard unless you're eating Big Mac & fries 4-5 times a day. Your 10 mile run is good for about 1500 burnt calories if you weigh about 200 lbs, more if you weigh more.

It can take more than 2-3 days for your body to readjust after eating bad. I bet if you weigh yourself in another couple days, you'll be back to where you were, or pretty close.

What I'm getting at is, YES it is possible to out-exercise a semi-bad diet. I've been doing it for the last 3 weeks..lol. I have 2-3 bad days a week (not in a row), and my weight hasn't changed in all that time, and i"m fine with that. I'm enjoying summer eating(BBQs, beer, Dairy Queen, etc), and the outdoors for exercising. I think it's called "balance".
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    first off.. im really impressed with ur run lol

and thanks for posting this!!
    i was on vacation in april and decided ill kinda eat what i want (i still made somewhat of BETTER choices)
    and i also decided ill just run everyday.

not only did running not help me... but my bad diet => DIDNT LET ME RUN! lol
    i felt like crap and got loads of stitches and didnt ever finish my runs. i always felt so tired and stopped after jogging like 20 mins. =(
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    That short of an "expirement" is not proof.

I out exercised my eating basically the entire way thru my 20's. Wing nights, lunch buffets, and morning donuts were the norm for me.
    But intense weight lifting, and numerous adult sporting leagues weekly kept things quite under control. Probably didn't hurt to have a naturally high metabolism.

Now, I would never, ever recommend eating the amounts of food I did and ok it by saying just work it off. Most of the time that just doesn't work. But it is an example that shows how different of a reaction people can have to the exercise/diet balance.
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Hi Kenny.

I think its probably just water retention. Cheffy types like to 'season' their food which means you'll be more prone to retaining fluid. PLus if its not your normal time for a weigh in it could be due to any manner of bodily fluctuations. Don't let this turn you into a food fascist!

Deb

P.S. How are the kittens? Any names yet?