Salty over Sweets

Options
I've always been the type to dive into a bag of salty potato chips over a candybar... anyday. But I really need to lower my sodium intake. The only pop (although I'm really trying to cut out pop altogher) I drink is Diet Coke, which is really pretty low.

My question is, what are some better alternatives to the salty goodness.

I am not well versed in diet/exercise, but I do know it's the only weight loss that works. There's still so much I'm trying to learn my body needs when it comes to my foods. I'm adding in a couple of supplements (biotin/fiber).

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Sounds very similar to my situation. Instead of munching on potato chips, I started eating grapes. That turned into my TV snack because I can kind of mindlessly eat them. I also found Veggie Chips to be very filling... I hope this helps :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    throw them both out.
    whiskey does the trick.
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am the same way.. if it comes down to savory or sweet.. bacon wins every time!

If you've got the craving try some light popcorn (of course air-popped is better) or some cheese mozarella or 2% sharp cheddar, nuts work well too. I have switched to unsalted and raw nuts but lightly salted almonds would be a good choice as well.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, TOM requires salt for me , not a chocolate girl. But you really need to drop the diet soda all together. But the sodium you will have to work on. It's something I'm working on now too.
  • amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    *drools* Bacon! YUM
    I like the light popcorn option! Thank you. Love cheese and nuts... but I have self control issues with both of those. I used to eat the 17 raw almonds for my mid-morning hunger pains. But they never really seemed filling. Perhaps I'll give it a go again! Thank you for the tips!
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered bacon. Seriously. Even BETTER? DARK chocolate covered bacon.

Mmmmmmmm. Bacon.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm a salty over sweet fan too, I love Special K Sea Salt cracker crisps with fresh or homemade salsa...while it's still a packaged snack, for 110 calories for 30 chips i feel a lot less guilty after and they cure my salt craving and still feel like a treat. I snack a lot less these days, fortunately!
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is one of my favorite things. I like to make it. I use a hot air poper and then add what I want on it.

I like almonds and sometimes add chocolate chips to it when needed. :heart:
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I get Trader Joes 50% less sodium roasted almonds and eat a few of them when I need a salty fix during the day. And I tried light popcorn and air popped popcorn but I'm picky! I started popping 1/4 cup corn in a pan on the stove with 1/2 a tablespoon of olive oil. It's a big enough serving to satisfy and there's enough oil to make the salt and nutritional yeast stick to the corn. 220 calories!
  • jcc4
    Options
    I used to eat the 17 raw almonds for my mid-morning hunger pains. But they never really seemed filling.

Try eating the almonds and then drink at least 12 oz of water. The water will help with the initial "hunger" and the protein, fat, and fiber from the almonds should take care of the rest.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My favorite new "salty" snack is roasted chickpeas. I toss them in a little olive oil and season with garlic powder and cayenne, then roast at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes. They're the perfect crunchy replacement for potato chips and other salty snacks. They're not SUPER low in calories, but definitely lower than potato chips and they're packed with fiber and protein.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You would have to retrain your palate--there are no chemical substitutes for salt. Your taste buds cannot be tricked the same way they can be for sugary foods. Use spices and herbs to flavor your food--garlic, paprika, curry, seaweed and bonito flakes, etc. Life is a lot more interesting when you eat beyond the sugary-salty-fatty spectrum.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!
    ekaustin7 - I am loving chickpeas lately (I use it instead of chicken/tuna/mayo for a substitue for a chicken/tuna salad craving!) I will definately try that.
    bumblebums - that is an excellent point, thanks for the tips!
  • jcc4
    Options
    My favorite new "salty" snack is roasted chickpeas. I toss them in a little olive oil and season with garlic powder and cayenne, then roast at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes. They're the perfect crunchy replacement for potato chips and other salty snacks. They're not SUPER low in calories, but definitely lower than potato chips and they're packed with fiber and protein.

You are my HERO. I am going to try this tonight when I get home!
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Oh, another thought: lowering overall sodium intake is important, but you should also consider upping your potassium intake (the potassium-sodium balance is what controls water retention, for example). Many spices are rich in potassium, and there are a few herbs that are, too (parsley is the famous one, but there are others). Here's a nice review of dietary sources of potassium:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the 17 raw almonds for my mid-morning hunger pains. But they never really seemed filling.

Try eating the almonds and then drink at least 12 oz of water. The water will help with the initial "hunger" and the protein, fat, and fiber from the almonds should take care of the rest.

Agreed. Water by itself does nothing, almonds by themselves leave me feeling hungry. Almonds with water is magic...
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    bumblebums - thank you thank you thank you! you are a huge help :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas and kale chips. Both are super easy to make, and you are in control of how much salt goes onto them. Plus you can try all sorts of different spice combinations for different flavours every time.

Popcorn is another easy one, too. Or even just a pickle.

Salty snacks are a domino food for me, so I have to be careful. But sometimes you just have to have.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    bumblebums - thank you thank you thank you! you are a huge help :)

Mah pleasure :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. The only solution I found was to just buying the stuff. If chips are in the house, I will eat them. So, they are very rarely in my house.