Is it normal to gain a bit?

Options
As I wrote I believe all of the pertinent information in a blog posting, I'l post the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jmparis65

I have initially experienced a couple of pound increase, which on the surface makes little sense as I am not eating enough calories to actually put on a pound.

My guess at this point is my metabolism got stuck in survival mode as I increased activity but not caloric intake and that now that I have raised the calories to meet this new demand my metabolism is "resetting" itself to work more efficiently, I hope.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you increase your calories that much it can make you gain a bit. Is it actual fat? doubtful. That being said. When making big changes in you calories like that, it is better to slowly raise them ( or lower them ) less "shock" to the body.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you added exercise and weren't previously doing it your body is likely working on your muscle. This requires it to retain fluid and would cause your weight to go up a bit.
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies
  • pep0973
    pep0973 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the BMR calculator used when I did P90X. I think if you are burning lots of calories with exercise and always having a huge deficit that can be bad. Weight going up while exercising could be an indicator of muscle gain. If you're eating right (and it looks like you are) and exercising then use the pants test. If the pants keep getting looser, you're burning fat.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    From my personal conclusions based on my own experience:

Sometimes it just makes it up. You'll gain a bit for no apparent reason. The body is bored so tries to mess with your head. Just ignore it and carry on, it'll sort itself out.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've just done this recently :) Upping my cals from 1400 to 1600. I could probably afford to go a bit higher, judging by my activity levels, but I'm adding on the cals slowly to see how it works out for me ^^ Good luck! I hope your changes work for you :D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    weight gain on the scale is not necessarily fat

if you've been undereating and upped your calories, you will see water weight gains initially, and this is usually a good thing. It takes a while for your body to settle down

as you say, if you're not eating enough to gain a pound of fat, then it's not fat. You have to eat 3500 cals above your TDEE to gain just one pound of fat.
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone, that link was especially informative :)