Under my calories but at my goal for carbs

Options
So I've noticed now that I'm trying to watch my carbs, i keep falling under my calories by a good chunk. I eat plenty of food and I dont feel hungry, but watching carbs along with exercise puts me at usually 300-500 calories under. Like today, for example. Is that bad? My bmr is about 1500, and thats my daily goal. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and I think you could work in more protein and healthy fat during the day. Maybe more turkey at lunch, for example?
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in help on this topic as well. I tried to modify my carb intake or at least adjust it to "good" carbs. But that hasn't gotten me all the way there. I don't think you'll ever get to exactly even on all categories in a given day though. Somewhere I read that over the course of a week if everything roughly balances out that is okay too. Just my thoughts.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I noticed you are pretty low in protein. A juicy steak will fix that ;)

But in all seriousness, just add in some more meat like fish, turkey, chicken, anything you like. Or if you don't want to go the meat direction, add some peanut butter for a little protein (although it has a higher fat ratio, which is still really good for you). Cheese is also very low carb, but will bring in some good fats and proteins.

All those things should help you bring up your calorie intake without hitting your carbs too high.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: And eggs and nuts!! Another wonderful source of proteins and fats :)
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you want you can always exchange your breakfast for 3 eggs, more protein, less carbs!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Why are you worried about carbs, anyway
    ?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You could probably replace some of your snacks (especially the pure carb ones like popcorn, nutty bars, brownies, snickers etc) with more meat, eggs, plain yogurt or cheese. I don't think it's a huge deal if you're a bit over though.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat waaaay too many carbs and should really cut back. Thats why i'm worried about carbs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. Why are you worried about carbs, anyway
    ?

That'd be my question? Everyone seems obsessed with carbs when, to me, they are the least important macro. Protein first, then fats, carbs with the balance. Simple
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I eat waaaay too many carbs and should really cut back. Thats why i'm worried about carbs.

How do you define too many?

You definitely don't get enough protein. Get more protein and forget about carbs.
  • ShellB8585
    ShellB8585 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in what you find out here as I have had the same issue. I'm also not hungry but I definitely don't want to under eat.
  • kabel4892
    Options

You definitely don't get enough protein. Get more protein and forget about carbs.

I was eating over 200 carbs a day. Isnt that bad? I just heard that lower carb is better.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I was eating over 200 carbs a day. Isnt that bad? I just heard that lower carb is better.

No. Really, carbs don't matter. Hit your protein goal, get enough fat, hit your calorie goal, and the carb goal will fall into place anyway.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options

Unless you had a medical reason to watch carbs than I wouldn't worry about it.

Not consuming enough total calories and not consuming enough protein are worse I think than consuming too many carbs.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Just meet/exceed your goals in fat and protein and let your carbs fall where they may. You will be fine. It is quality over quantity with carbs (and most every food/food group/macro).
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I usually look at my overall for the week. Some days I'm under, some are over. You could take a look at your weekly totals. Hope this helps.:)
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think if you up your protein and fat, those couple extra calories won't be a problem anymore.What I did that helped me was think of food items and search for them on MFP to see what that carb count or carb to protein ratio is. I also looked at people's diaries to see how they handle it.

I'll comment on your most recent MFP day (i *think* this is what you were wanting some1 to do):

Breakfast
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 0.75 cup
    Kellogg's Special Cereal, 1 cup

*this breakfast needs adjustment. if you feel full on the special k, then leave it as such if you are ok w it contributing 36 grams of carbs. I would add at least add two eggs to this meal to up the protein. the protein content is negligible. my breakfast today:

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Spray (Correct),
    2 eggs
    Nestle (Coffee Mate) - Sugar Free French Vanilla Powder Creamer
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 3 cup (8 fl oz)
    Great Value Fiesta Blend - Finely Shredded Cheese 0.25 cup
    Chives - Raw, 0.5 tbsp chopped
    Generic - Fresh Raw Cilantro, 2 grams
    Avocados - Raw, 44 g
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia)
    Gwaltney - Hardwood Smoked Bacon, 1.74 Fried Slices (15g)

Calories:484 Carbs:22 Fat:34 Protein:23
    **I'm not telling you to eat like me bc we all have diff food preferences and goals. I have always liked a big breakfast! I wanted you to see that compared to your breakfast, I am getting quite a bit of food with more than twice the amt of protein and half the amt of carbs.

Snack One
    Carrots - Baby Carrots , 1.5 Cup 80 18 0 2 88
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5 0 0 1 9
    Boone's Homemade - Frosted Brownies, 1 piece (2x2) 184 23 10 1 0

* you probably already noticed the carbs in the brownie. and hey i often have a piece of chocolatey gooey candy that contributes 11 carbs and it is totally worth it for me.

Lunch
    Carl Buddig - Original Honey Roasted Turkey, 1 oz. 45 2 3 5 300
    Frigo Cheeseheads - Light String Cheese, 1 Piece (24g) 50 1 3 7 200
    Aldi Little Salad Bar - Garden Mix, 1.5 cups 11 2 0 1 11
    Wishbone - Light Sweet and Spicy French Salad Dressing, 2 Tbsp. 60 7 4 0 240
    *to have more protein and fat here I would up the amt of turkey, throw some nuts on the salad, how about some avocado or olives. you can find salad dressing w much less carbs: blue cheese dressing, just a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar, etc

Great Value - Frozen Fruit, Strawberry, Peach, Mango & Pineapple, 1 cup 70 17 0 0 0
    Great Value (Corrected 3/19/13) - 100% Orange Juice From Concentrate, 4 fl oz (240 mL) 55 14 0 1 15
    Fit & Active (Aldi - Vanilla Nonfat Yogurt, 0.5 cup (227 g)
    *carbs here that could be cut..i assume this was a smoothie? cut the OJ. look for a diff kind of yogurt to add. 1/2 cup greek plain nonfat yogurt would have given you 5 carbs w 12 protein.
  • kabel4892
    Options
    I think if you up your protein and fat, those couple extra calories won't be a problem anymore.What I did that helped me was think of food items and search for them on MFP to see what that carb count or carb to protein ratio is. I also looked at people's diaries to see how they handle it.

I'll comment on your most recent MFP day (i *think* this is what you were wanting some1 to do):

Breakfast
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 0.75 cup
    Kellogg's Special Cereal, 1 cup

*this breakfast needs adjustment. if you feel full on the special k, then leave it as such if you are ok w it contributing 36 grams of carbs. I would add at least add two eggs to this meal to up the protein. the protein content is negligible. my breakfast today:

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - Spray (Correct),
    2 eggs
    Nestle (Coffee Mate) - Sugar Free French Vanilla Powder Creamer
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 3 cup (8 fl oz)
    Great Value Fiesta Blend - Finely Shredded Cheese 0.25 cup
    Chives - Raw, 0.5 tbsp chopped
    Generic - Fresh Raw Cilantro, 2 grams
    Avocados - Raw, 44 g
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia)
    Gwaltney - Hardwood Smoked Bacon, 1.74 Fried Slices (15g)

Calories:484 Carbs:22 Fat:34 Protein:23
    **I'm not telling you to eat like me bc we all have diff food preferences and goals. I have always liked a big breakfast! I wanted you to see that compared to your breakfast, I am getting quite a bit of food with more than twice the amt of protein and half the amt of carbs.

Snack One
    Carrots - Baby Carrots , 1.5 Cup 80 18 0 2 88
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5 0 0 1 9
    Boone's Homemade - Frosted Brownies, 1 piece (2x2) 184 23 10 1 0

* you probably already noticed the carbs in the brownie. and hey i often have a piece of chocolatey gooey candy that contributes 11 carbs and it is totally worth it for me.

Lunch
    Carl Buddig - Original Honey Roasted Turkey, 1 oz. 45 2 3 5 300
    Frigo Cheeseheads - Light String Cheese, 1 Piece (24g) 50 1 3 7 200
    Aldi Little Salad Bar - Garden Mix, 1.5 cups 11 2 0 1 11
    Wishbone - Light Sweet and Spicy French Salad Dressing, 2 Tbsp. 60 7 4 0 240
    *to have more protein and fat here I would up the amt of turkey, throw some nuts on the salad, how about some avocado or olives. you can find salad dressing w much less carbs: blue cheese dressing, just a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar, etc

Great Value - Frozen Fruit, Strawberry, Peach, Mango & Pineapple, 1 cup 70 17 0 0 0
    Great Value (Corrected 3/19/13) - 100% Orange Juice From Concentrate, 4 fl oz (240 mL) 55 14 0 1 15
    Fit & Active (Aldi - Vanilla Nonfat Yogurt, 0.5 cup (227 g)
    *carbs here that could be cut..i assume this was a smoothie? cut the OJ. look for a diff kind of yogurt to add. 1/2 cup greek plain nonfat yogurt would have given you 5 carbs w 12 protein.

Thanks for your advice! Thats kind of what I was looking for. Ways to up my calories but not my carbs.
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to diet on my own and went to a nutritionist and physician. The pancreas has difficulty in healthy people to digest carbohydrstes over 180 a day. They recommended counting carbs and eating more protein as protein fills you up and the health of your pancreas by dealing with less carbs is going to be a better solution overall.
  • CrystalRenee2013
    CrystalRenee2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just watch my calorie intake & forget the rest. Since they've added new stuff on here all it did was stress me out so I decided to stick to just my calories.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I gave up trying to diet on my own and went to a nutritionist and physician. The pancreas has difficulty in healthy people to digest carbohydrstes over 180 a day. They recommended counting carbs and eating more protein as protein fills you up and the health of your pancreas by dealing with less carbs is going to be a better solution overall.

Sounds like a totally arbitrary and made-up number. Imagine if a runner eating 4000 calories a day to maintain limited themselves to 180g of carbs. That's 3280 calories a day from protein and fat. How do you break that down? 200g protein and 275g fat? 300g protein and 231g of fat?

Does 180g carbs, 300g protein, 231g fat make sense to you?