High Intensity Interval Training

2»

Replies

• ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Its the best!

Im losing fat at the moment while keeping my muscle loss to a minimum.

I do x3 days a week HIIT circuits and x2 days a week Interval training.

HIIT creates an after burn effect which will help you burn more calories throughout the day.

Since starting my Cardio has dramaitically improved as a result of HIIT workouts.

Here are some helpful links:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/12/18/hiit-treadmill-workout/

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/09/21/advanced-interval-training-treadmill-workout/

Afterburn
    http://www.builtlean.com/2011/06/29/afterburn-effect-of-exercise-qa-with-dr-christopher-scott-phd/

Thank you for sharing this site. I have learned alot from here!
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Yea its a great site.

I did a free trial PT session today an realised that I could push myself an extra 20%.

My Heart Rate monitor definitely helped now I know where I need to keep my HR during Hiit sessions.
  • Thanks for the post. Can you share what you do exactly? I go 3x app. 30 minutes plus do weights 2x a week and not much is going.
    Thanks
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Yes, I've been doing this type of workout for about two and a half years now. I take classes at my gym like boot camp, training camp, Biggest Loser, etc. They're all HIIT type workouts where you do some high intensity cardio interrupted with floor work or lower intensity moves.

It keeps me engaged and works wonders for my strength and endurance. Plus it's just fun. For the first six months I did it, I lost no weight at all. Then one day it all started falling off and I dropped three sizes in a couple months. Currently, my gym is a bit of a drive out of my way, so I work out using HIIT about twice per week for an hour. That's pretty much enough, though three days a week is ideal for me.
  • MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    What's the most effective sprint/rest ratio? I do HIIT on both the elliptical and treadmill with 1 minute sprints and 1.5 minutes rest (a slow walk).
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    I usually do two HIIT workouts a week, one of them heavy on the Plyo, the other using a speed rope and core exercises. They are tough, but I love the burn.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Depends on your level of fitness

5min warm up
    I do 2 minutes sprinting at 10.5mph 1 min rest x4 cycles.
    5 min warm down
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    I have been doing it for app. 6 weeks with my fiancee and neither one of us had lost a pound?? I have adrenal failure that I am taking supplements for so am not really surprised by my lack of loss, but thought for sure he would have some loss. We warm up for about 3 minutes and then do 3- 30 second intervals where our heart rates elevate to 160-180, then rest. Any suggestions, maybe more time on the tread mill walking?

Have you taken measurements? With the Insanity workout (HIIT as well) I gained 2 lbs in 4 weeks but had lost 5 inches in just my waist/hips I'd stay away from the scale.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Love HIIT! Fitness Blender has a fun one called "Can You HIIT like a girl?" that makes stair sprints feel relaxing :love:
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    I did straight cardio (stationary bike) for a few months and then HIIT for the last few months. I would say I lost about the same amount of weight with each type of exercise. I do like HIIT more because it keeps you "busy" and kicks your *kitten* in a shorter amount of time. Also, after a HIIT routine your body continues to burn calories for a few hours. I would say just don't overdo it.

I discovered these guys' videos, which have some great HIIT routines (feel free to check out the other vids in my playlist):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cRRCTREu0&feature=share&list=PLTs8fhus54olyyTGOR9orPo5_w9iPDrfH

Enjoy!
  • I have been doing it for app. 6 weeks with my fiancee and neither one of us had lost a pound?? I have adrenal failure that I am taking supplements for so am not really surprised by my lack of loss, but thought for sure he would have some loss. We warm up for about 3 minutes and then do 3- 30 second intervals where our heart rates elevate to 160-180, then rest. Any suggestions, maybe more time on the tread mill walking?

Have you taken measurements? With the Insanity workout (HIIT as well) I gained 2 lbs in 4 weeks but had lost 5 inches in just my waist/hips I'd stay away from the scale.

^^^^^^
    This!
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Weight loss is 80% plus diet, 20% exercise. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. I do 30% carbs, but for now try...

40% carbs
    30% protein
    30% fat

Never go above 40% carbs

If you are going from the settings here is 55% carbs, which is too high.

Home, goals, change goals, custom...

Hope that helps!

Zara

I think it depends on where your carbs are comming from, carbs= fuel, I eat whole carbs like fruits, and whole grains etc, mine is set at 75% and I still lose weight.