Low carb plans, gluten free plans, What is healthiest?

Options
Im fighting between different plans,
can I get some reccommendations?
please, be as detailed as you can, if you tell me to go with one plan I need some options =)
example : Go with gluten free, and instead of using bread use _______

Thanks! =D

Age 21
Lbs 157
4"11
17 lbs lost
going through a bit of a plateau here

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. What do you consider to be "healthy"? You are going to get different answers from different people What do you want to accomplish? In what ways do you think either of those "plans" will benefit you? I would do some research on both and figure out which you think will work for you. Also, going gluten free is more than just not eating bread. I am currently listening to "The Virgin Diet" by JJ Virgin. It is based on the idea that many people have food intolerance/sensitivity to various foods. The top 7 that she identifies are corn, wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, artificial sweeteners, peanuts. On this plan, you have to completely eliminate all 7 of these foods for 21 days. She "promises" that you will lose a large amount of weight due to reduced inflammation and no exposure to the foods that your system is fighting. After the 21 days are up you can experiment with adding in each food one at a time to see if you have a reaction. If you have a reaction, then you know you have an intolerance to that food. That basically sums it up. It is geared towards people who have tried everything to lose weight (including adding in a lot of the foods that we consider to be healthy but are likely to cause a problem for many due to intolerance) or those who have other symptoms of food intolerance.

That being said, this is my first experience with hearing about how food intolerance can affect the body. It makes sense in many ways but is definitely an all or nothing approach. If you are going to be truly gluten free it seems like it would be difficult to live life. Unless you are truly intolerant to gluten I don't see the benefit of trying to eat that way. As for low carb, there are plenty of variations on that, too.

I personally believe in more of a clean eating approach (although I have a lot of room for improvement in that area) that includes all of the food groups and creates a way of eating that I can live with now and for the rest of my life. Doing a very low carb diet, to me, is not sustainable nor healthy.
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    now this is just my opinion, but it also what i belive in.

a high fat and low carb diet is the only thing that makes me loose weight. I am happy eating the way that i do and I have more energy than when i was loading up on carbs and eating Whole Wheat bread and pasta and Brown rice.

Ive completely cut out all bread and pasta, and i get my few carbs from veggies. call me crazy but there is a whole community out there ofpeople who support each other and all do the same. Our diets are as follows:

My daily calories are broken down like this:
    65% are calories from FAT
    25% are calories from PROTEIN
    15% are calories from CARBS

Sometimes i barely even make those last 15%, I believe there is nothing wrong with limiting your carbs, If you want more info and explanation why and how this works, see www.Marksdailyapple.com join the forum talk to people. but most of all read the ebooks.
    theres a link that says "Start Here"
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Any diet can be a healthy diet... any diet can be an unhealthy diet. Gluten free, low carb, vegan, vegetarian, eating meat, etc etc etc.

Why go gluten free unless you have a medical issue with gluten?? No need to do so. No real need to go low carb unless you have a medical reason to do so. Eat what you like with smaller portions, go for less processed foods and stay within your calories.
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks you have all been very helpful,
    what I hope to accomplish is to get some different ideas and opinions and see how they match up with what i have learned or been taught
    Mostly I like hearing peoples opinions and I take what I agree with and use it =)
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I definately agree with the clean eating approach and smaller portions, I am trying to eat smaller portions because Thats where Im failing