Couch to 5k?

Options

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, I should chime in here! I basically just reached my PB (personal best)
    8mi in 70 mins.I don't know if this is great for all of you but for me its a beautiful feeling considering Im a beginner. I run from my path out back to the bike path and down to the falls. Finally Ive reached a place where its acceptable to lie down and die!!!! I cant walk after Im done..It kills me...Im so dramatic, ha But if you saw me out there all round *HI FIVES*
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just got back from completing week 7 day 3 about an hour ago. I can't believe how effective this program has been for me.
    I have never been a distance runner of any sort. When I was young and fit, I was a sprinter and high jumper. Not many people could beat me over 100m, but a 1/2 mile was my equivalent of a marathon! And yet, this evening, I ran 4km without stopping for the 3rd time this week!!
    The secret to the program (IMO) is that it keeps the progress at a slow pace. If I was left to my own devices, I would have tried to run 5k on my first outing, and then never ran again! But with this program, each level was achievable, and the stamina I built up completing one level got me ready for the next. Combine that with the calorie counting on this site, and you get the weight loss you can see on my ticker down there \/ \/ \/
    It really is a well designed program, and I'm so proud of the progress I've achieved!
    So, as you can guess, I highly recommend that you give it a go. :D
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bailey, Couch to 5k is a great program! I used it 4 1/2 years ago when I started running. I was seriously overweight (I had gained more than 80 pounds over the previous few years) and very sedentary and out of shape. I started out walking (I would get winded after just 2 blocks). After I had been walking a couple of months, I wanted to increase the intensity, so I started running. I could barely run 30 seconds at a time. I would run for 30 seconds, walk for 3 minutes, repeat. I then started Couch to 5k. It was really difficult for me, but I stuck to the program, religiously doing the workouts like the program outlined. At the end of the program, I really did run a 5k! This was a huge deal for me. The program helped me lose 70 pounds. While doing the program, I hated running. It was crazy hard and felt awful. But I stuck with it, only because it seemed to be speeding up my weight loss. Somewhere along the way after running that 5k, I started to love running! It was the weirdest thing - before I had hated running and felt awkward and miserable. Then slowly I noticed I was starting to look forward to my runs. They were easier and actually kind of enjoyable. I loved how I felt after running, and more importantly, I loved how I felt about myself after running. I was actually proud of myself for a change.

Fast forward 4 years: I now run 5 days a week, every week. Last October, I ran the Chicago Marathon! Running a marathon (26.2 miles!) was like climbing Mt. Everest - something that "other" people did, people that I admired, something that I thought was amazing, but that I could never, ever even dream about doing. But last October, I did it. I ran a marathon. And now I'm training for my second marathon! The confidence and pride in myself that running has given me are priceless. I'm so grateful every day that I had the courage to start Couch to 5k and discover the happiness and lifestyle that running has given me. So yes, Couch to 5k is a great program!

The key to the program is consistency. Follow the program and don't skip ahead. Don't worry about speed - you can never run too slow in the beginning. Many new runners make the mistake of running too fast and burning themselves out or getting injured. Take it slow, stay consistent, and soon you'll actually feel great while you're running - you'll be a runner! Good luck!
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have always HATED running, but this sounds like fun. Always learn about something new reading these posts.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My goal is to hit 175 pounds by my birthday, June 17th. I'm currently at 191 and I think with the C25K program I will hopefully get a jumpstart on the weight loss in addition to counting calories.

You will definitely see results!! I had hit a plateau after losing about 100+ pounds. I started running, and I've lost another 20 pounds!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bailey, Couch to 5k is a great program! I used it 4 1/2 years ago when I started running. I was seriously overweight (I had gained more than 80 pounds over the previous few years) and very sedentary and out of shape. I started out walking (I would get winded after just 2 blocks). After I had been walking a couple of months, I wanted to increase the intensity, so I started running. I could barely run 30 seconds at a time. I would run for 30 seconds, walk for 3 minutes, repeat. I then started Couch to 5k. It was really difficult for me, but I stuck to the program, religiously doing the workouts like the program outlined. At the end of the program, I really did run a 5k! This was a huge deal for me. The program helped me lose 70 pounds. While doing the program, I hated running. It was crazy hard and felt awful. But I stuck with it, only because it seemed to be speeding up my weight loss. Somewhere along the way after running that 5k, I started to love running! It was the weirdest thing - before I had hated running and felt awkward and miserable. Then slowly I noticed I was starting to look forward to my runs. They were easier and actually kind of enjoyable. I loved how I felt after running, and more importantly, I loved how I felt about myself after running. I was actually proud of myself for a change.

Fast forward 4 years: I now run 5 days a week, every week. Last October, I ran the Chicago Marathon! Running a marathon (26.2 miles!) was like climbing Mt. Everest - something that "other" people did, people that I admired, something that I thought was amazing, but that I could never, ever even dream about doing. But last October, I did it. I ran a marathon. And now I'm training for my second marathon! The confidence and pride in myself that running has given me are priceless. I'm so grateful every day that I had the courage to start Couch to 5k and discover the happiness and lifestyle that running has given me. So yes, Couch to 5k is a great program!

The key to the program is consistency. Follow the program and don't skip ahead. Don't worry about speed - you can never run too slow in the beginning. Many new runners make the mistake of running too fast and burning themselves out or getting injured. Take it slow, stay consistent, and soon you'll actually feel great while you're running - you'll be a runner! Good luck!

This is amazing! What a motivational post to read. I can't believe what great success you saw. Thank you for posting this! This is helping me get pumped!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes. last August I started it. Took my time, my own pace, finished it. Felt great.
  • itsgravybabygirl
    itsgravybabygirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K this past friday. I have my first 5k this weekend. I really enjoyed it. I did mine on a treadmill because I know that would keep me more accountable. I tried the jog but due to knee problems I am not ready for that yet. so instead I would do the walk at 3 miles an hour and then the "Jog" at 3.5 miles per hour. I am going to go back through the program again and actually do the jog this time because my knee is feeling much better with the 15 lbs I have lost since starting the program. I did do the 1st and 2nd weeks twice just because I didn't think I was where I needed to be, but I am now able to complete walking a 5k at a pretty decent pace without feeling like I am going to die. My 1st goal is to complete it... my next to run it!

I never would have thought I would have been a runner, but I love the feeling I get... so I can honestly say it has changed me in nothing but good ways!
  • runnrgrl74
    runnrgrl74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! What a motivational post to read. I can't believe what great success you saw. Thank you for posting this! This is helping me get pumped!

Aww, thanks! I really do love encouraging new runners. I see so much of myself in you. I was a little heavier than you when I started running. I think I was right around 200 lbs. I had already lost about 25 through walking. Running changed my life, and every bit of that change has been so positive. I can get pretty emotional when I talk about it. I turned myself into a runner through sheer force of will, and anyone who wants to can do the same. You just have to stick with it! That's the secret. Consistency. It will suck at first. I was so sore in those first few (several?) weeks, I remember having a hard time walking up the stairs to work. But it was a good sore :) Just remember that as hard as it is in the beginning, every run brings you closer to that wonderful point when suddenly, it isn't so hard anymore. And your body and mind start to crave those runs. You actually look forward to them. You just have to make it through the hard, sucky beginning to get there. But when you do get there, it's an awesome feeling! You're now a runner :)
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options

You are doing exactly what I set out to do when I decided to start the C25K program. You've got no idea how much it has motivated me to read this - thanks for posting =D
  • devansmom2
    Options
    I HAVE HEARD OF THIS BUT, WHAT IS COUCH 5K?
  • andrea_v2h
    Options
    I started in January, having never run in my life. I am on the final week right now. In that time I have lost 21 pounds thanks to both diet and exercise.

It's a great program and I highly recommend it. It challenged me just enough. It was never easy, but it never seemed impossible either. If you told me 9 weeks ago that I'd be running 30 minutes straight, I'm not sure I would have believed you. But the program really does work you up to being able to do it.

Even though I'm not done with C25K, I ran my first 5K on 3/9, finishing in 34:56 (11:15 pace). Not too bad for someone who still doesn't consider herself a runner. My next race is in April and I hope to improve on that time as much as possible.

If I (an obese former smoker) can do it, anyone can. :)
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    I HAVE HEARD OF THIS BUT, WHAT IS COUCH 5K?

It's a starter program for people to go from, as it says, couch potato to a 5k event (3.1 miles).
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5 of couch to 5k and I love it! It truly just eases you into running and before you know it youre running for 30 minutes without even realizing that you havent stopped or slowed down to take a breath! I highly reccomened it.
  • ds1007
    ds1007 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did C25K exclusively (no other workouts) 3 years ago and lost 30 pounds doing it. I'm doing it again this go round along with strength training. I strength train and then do a session of C25K almost every other day.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    changed my life. I did it 3 years ago. I could barely get though week 1 day 1. I'm going to do my first 1/2 marathon this year. I have crazy endurance, runners high. everything is just so much better in life.

I suggest running outside more than the gym, treadmills are boring.
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been a runer on and off for 12 years. I initially started because my boss' running partner injured herself and she stopped me in the office and said "you are my new running partner". This was long before couch to 5k was vogue, but in essence we pretty much did the same concept. I ran for years, suffered a hip injury and that put me out of running for nearly a year.

I had moved to a new city and a new coworker sent me a facebook invite to a local running group's couch to 5k. It was January- cold as heck- but I successfully completed the program and since then have run in numerous 5k's, numerous 10ks and am currently training for my third half marathon. In fact, it has been 17 months straight of me running at least one race a month. So yes, the program works and will definitely make you a runner if you follow it and continue the momentum it gives you!
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was doing C25k religiously for the first 3 weeks using an app on my iPhone. Unfortunately, my phone broke and Apple is being a jerk about replacing it! I'm still doing walking/running combinations at my own pace though. I walk the entire length of my street and then run it back. Then everyday I've been starting my run 1 mailbox earlier until I can run the whole way.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It has been, thus far, effective.

God willing, I finish in about 2 weeks (treadmill version).

Other than what people have already said:
    1) Keeping a HRM going was helpful to me. You can see if you need to slow down a bit, and also see progress made (i.e., you can run longer without hurting).
    2) A good pair of shoes helps. As does listening to warning signs of pain / not pushing to injury.

Wishing you all the best.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just finished it! I could not run at ALL when I started and thought I never would be able to run over 5 minutes. Today I ran for 40 minutes! I totally believe in this program. Be sure to join the c25k board on here, there are lots of great tips/members. You can do it no problem!