Under my calories but at my goal for carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I eat waaaay too many carbs and should really cut back. Thats why i'm worried about carbs.

How do you define too many?

You definitely don't get enough protein. Get more protein and forget about carbs.

I was eating over 200 carbs a day. Isnt that bad? I just heard that lower carb is better.

No. Really, carbs don't matter. Hit your protein goal, get enough fat, hit your calorie goal, and the carb goal will fall into place anyway.

This 100%.
  • sciontc2
    sciontc2 Posts: 15
    Options
    hey for me I have to watch the Carbs. For my body Carbs is what packs on the weight for me and makes fat store around the middle. For me that is the only way I can lose weight. I eat more protein , but try to get carbs low peroid.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm able to eat very low carb and still hit my calorie goal while feeling full and satisfied all day by eating more fat- I'm seeing loss too (not recording on my ticker yet!) and feeling satiated with good energy. Worth a try.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to diet on my own and went to a nutritionist and physician. The pancreas has difficulty in healthy people to digest carbohydrstes over 180 a day. They recommended counting carbs and eating more protein as protein fills you up and the health of your pancreas by dealing with less carbs is going to be a better solution overall.

Sounds like a totally arbitrary and made-up number. Imagine if a runner eating 4000 calories a day to maintain limited themselves to 180g of carbs. That's 3280 calories a day from protein and fat. How do you break that down? 200g protein and 275g fat? 300g protein and 231g of fat?

Does 180g carbs, 300g protein, 231g fat make sense to you?

Obviously a runner eating 4k cals a day isn't going to only eat 180g carbs. That is a very poor example. You're molding someone trying to lose weight (at least that's what I garnered in that post) into an athlete's mold. Perhaps, for a Sedentary or only Lightly Active person, 180 or less is beneficial, at least temporarily. Does that mean it's the only way to be healthy or lose weight? Obviously not, but unless you're a doctor or certified nutritionist yourself don't be so cocky as to try and immediately tear down what someone has heard from a medical professional.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I eat waaaay too many carbs and should really cut back. Thats why i'm worried about carbs.

How do you define too many?

You definitely don't get enough protein. Get more protein and forget about carbs.

I was eating over 200 carbs a day. Isnt that bad? I just heard that lower carb is better.

No. Really, carbs don't matter. Hit your protein goal, get enough fat, hit your calorie goal, and the carb goal will fall into place anyway.

^ Do this.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    two words: PROTEIN and FAT.

eat more of both.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the other responses, so pardon me if this has been said.

But.....what I do is try to meet my protein macros first (100g +) and then I let the rest fall where they will. Some days my carbs are higher and some days my fats are higher. It all balances out. i think if you first and foremost focus on getting in more protein and healthy fats, your carbs will be lower.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you need a low carb diet, if you are consistently going over the MFP recommendations for carbs, you are not getting a balanced diet. Start out by replacing one of your grain based choices a day with a high protein food.