Dr. Oz sued

Options
mateo57505
mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
NEW YORK (AP) -- A New Jersey man claims an insomnia cure promoted on "The Dr. Oz Show" left third-degree burns on his feet.

Frank Dietl, of Southampton, N.J., filed a lawsuit N.Y. State Supreme Court in Manhattan. The Daily News says Dietl was confined to his bed for weeks after using the so-called "knap-sack heated rice footsie."

It was promoted on April 17, 2012. Oz recommended filling a pair of socks with uncooked rice and warming them up in a microwave oven and putting them on. The popular cardiothoracic surgeon said leaving them on for 20 minutes would promote better sleep. He warned not to get the socks too hot. "The Dr. Oz Show" said it couldn't comment until it could review the lawsuit.

Replies

• RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oz it a moron, this is indisputable. However, how effing stupid must a person be to put burning hot rice bags on their feet and then leave them on long enough to acquire severe burns? This person is a moron and deserves to be publicly shamed as such, not made wealthy.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Oz I believe that I am going to die in approximately 13.6 seconds...
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Oz = Wizard.

DO NOT PAY ATTENTION to that man behind the curtain!!!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Oz it a moron, this is indisputable. However, how effing stupid must a person be to put burning hot rice bags on their feet and then leave them on long enough to acquire severe burns? This person is a moron and deserves to be publicly shames as such, not made wealthy.

Agreed. They are both morons!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So this 'remedy' has been out for nearly a year, and only one person has had this happen...? Either way fewer people are listening to Dr. Oz, or maybe this guy just overdid it. I fail to see how warmed rice, unless you really nuked the crap out of it, would leave 3rd-degree burns.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Oz I believe that I am going to die in approximately 13.6 seconds...

If you do, please leave your body to science. C/o my address.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Oz it a moron, this is indisputable. However, how effing stupid must a person be to put burning hot rice bags on their feet and then leave them on long enough to acquire severe burns? This person is a moron and deserves to be publicly shames as such, not made wealthy.

Agreed. They are both morons!
    Totally agree! They need to just throw this stuff out of court and tell it like it is! Idiot!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have one thing to say...lawsuit for spilling hot coffee on themselves...nuff said
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have one thing to say...lawsuit for spilling hot coffee on themselves...nuff said

I got coffee at a place in Canada years ago. The cup said, in very large letters, "warning. Contents is hot. Like it's supposed to be". I laughed so hard I almost spilled it on myself. Could I have sued them then? You *kitten*, you made me laugh.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Damnit, why didn't I think of sueing Dr. Oz?

What pisses me off about him is everytime my grandma calls me she tells some weird crap like this rice thing, she goes "They say it's really good for you" I'm like, Granma, who is they? Do you even know who THEY are? And they end up being Dr. OZ.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So this 'remedy' has been out for nearly a year, and only one person has had this happen...? Either way fewer people are listening to Dr. Oz, or maybe this guy just overdid it. I fail to see how warmed rice, unless you really nuked the crap out of it, would leave 3rd-degree burns.

People do strange things with their microwaves. I once had a neighbor set her kitchen on fire because she went to take a shower while microwaving a potato for 30 MINUTES.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Raspberry keytones!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Seems like this guy with the lawsuit is right up there with the woman trying to sue the Dallas Cowboys because she sat on a hot bench (in Texas, in July) long enough to sustain burns on her butt.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Only in NJ would someone do something so stupid and then sue.

Why do these people continue to embarass the state?

Another great example: A friend of mine son burned himself with firecrackers that he put in his pocket. That is not a typo. She told me she was thinking of taking the manufacturer to court. I laughed out loud and said that most people have enough common sense not to stick them in their pocket. She started ranting about warning labels and I then reminded her that fireworks are illegal in NJ. That shut her up.
  • wheresheidi
    wheresheidi Posts: 213
    Options
    Raspberry ketones - Do they really work?
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Actually if you ever saw the burns that woman had from that McDonalds coffee, you probably wouldn't think it was such a ridiculous lawsuit. I worked in a Dunkin Donuts as a teenager and had hot coffee spilled on me almost weekly but NEVER had burns like that woman got from the famous lawsuit.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    stupid
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Please learn the facts about the McDonald's hot coffee case before you cite it as an example of a frivolous lawsuit! The woman who was burned got 3rd degree burns. 3rd degree! She needed a skin graft! What if she had drank it instead of accidentally spilling it -- she'd have third degree burns in her mouth! And all she asked McDonald's for was to cover her medical bills. McD's refused, and a jury awarded a huge verdict (which was later overturned by a judge). Not a frivolous lawsuit at all.

Dr. Oz, on the other hand... now that guy is a snake oil salesman.
  • trailtripper
    Options
    I do believe this is called: Swimming in the gene pool without a lifeguard
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

If you do, please leave your body to science. C/o my address.

this is either really pervy (necrophilia) or really creepy (wearing skin of the deceased).

in other words, an excellent MFP post. i salute you! :drinker: