Please help! Perfect hardboiled eggs??

Options

Replies

• Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    put eggs in pan, water over the top of the eggs by at least an inch, add a little salt. Boil on high for 5 min, set to the side for at least an hour.

Then you can peel them or put them in the fridge
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs in the water when it's just starting to simmer. When it reaches a rolling boil I turn it down to a slower boil and leave it for eight-nine minutes. Works every time.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I put them in a pot of cold water just covering them, turn on the burner on high, and set the timer for 20 min. Once the timer goes off, I pour out the hot water, and douse them in cold water to make them easier to peel. Works every time, and the yolk comes out yellow (not black) and not undercooked.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I forgot I was boiling eggs once, and left them on for 30 minutes at least. They came out fine. =P
  • CDrealME
    CDrealME Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you want to know if a hardboiled egg is fully-cooked and don't mind a bit of fun --- Take the egg and spin it on the counter vertically (where the "most pointed end" is on the bottom). If the egg spins easily, then it is cooked. If it wobbles, continue boiling/baking/or however you like. :wink:
  • ProudAirforceWife
    ProudAirforceWife Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I swear by this method and use it ALL the time. If you have a plug-in kettle with an automatic shut-off:

Put the eggs in the kettle (as many as you want or will fit)
    Fill the kettle with water to cover the eggs.
    Turn your kettle on and let boil.
    Once it shuts off automatically, set a timer for 15 minutes.
    As soon as the timer goes off, take out eggs and put them in cold water to stop the cooking process.

Voila, perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs without any pots to clean :) I like this as I can cook up to 6-8 eggs at a time and have them in my fridge for salads, breakfast, etc.

Cheers!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I just found out you can steam them too and the steamed eggs will peel much easier. I read to steam them for only 10 minutes and 5 minutes for soft boiled. I haven't tried it, just read it. But now we will definitely have to rename them to hard steamed or baked eggs if you are not boiling them at all. My grandmother (RIP) only knew how to cook eggs. She would have loved this.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The most perfect hard-boiled eggs are achieved by bringing the water up to boiling and boil for 60 seconds. The TAKE THE PAN OFF THE HEAT and place a lid on the pan and leave for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes plunge into icy cold water for a few minutes to prevent the black ring.

If you have trouble peeling your egg, put half a teaspoon of baking soda into the water with the eggs whilst they are cooking. This will help the shell to come away easily.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Here are my perfect easy to peel hard boiled eggs (fluffy yellow yolks in the center):

Put eggs in pot, Add cold water to cover eggs, turn stove on medium-low heat, cover pot, get water boiling, once water boils turn off stove, set timmer for 15minutes, when timer goes off promptly remove from stove drain some of the hot water, and start running them under cool water until they cool down I'll run the cold water for like 2 minutes and then let them soak in the cold water changing it a couple times. Make sure they get cold immediately so they are easy to peel. Drain eggs and put into fridge. Eat and enjoy!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I fail every time. I always undercook! Any help? Thanks in advance.

That's funny. I always overcook my soft boiled eggs.

That's understandable. I have never heard of anyone not being able to cook a hard boiled egg.

Well, now you have, kiddo! :)

Hey dont feel bad it's taken me many cracked eggs and grey yolk, under cooked, and difficult to peel eggs to get my hard boiled egg down. I bet most people on here who boil eggs on a regular basis can say the same thing.
  • lotsoflove19
    lotsoflove19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Put the eggs in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil, take off the heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Perfect hardboiled eggs.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    So many replies!

If you want to avoid green-tinged, rubbery yolks (caused by overcooking):

Place eggs in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add enough cold water to cover eggs by an inch. Bring pot to boil on stove. Cover and turn off heat. Let pot sit 10 minutes. Immerse eggs in ice bath for 5 minutes.

For peeling, I just crack them on the broad end. There's an air pocket there, which usually helps to get the shell started. The Jacques Pepin pin-prick method, mentioned above, also works well.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    mine turn out perfect..

then i end up pinching them to bits trying to get the shell off
  • BarbWohlford
    Options
    Put eggs into a pan of water, once they come to a boil time for 7 minutes, drain water and run cold water over for a few minutes. Best Hard Boiled Eggs ever.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    MS. Martha Stewart herself said.
    Start them out in cool water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Immediately take off heat upon boiling. Leave in covered pan for 12 minutes. Remove and place into icey water.
    Works every time for me.

Unless I forget about them. Which I often do:)
  • trrmalek
    trrmalek Posts: 5
    Options
    I used to have such a hard time myself with hard boiled eggs. They always came out terrible. Finally I found a technique that worked FULL PROOF.

1. Go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy a Hammerhead Product Eggsact Eggtimer.
    2. Put it in the pot with your eggs and when it turns purple all the way to the center, they're done.
    3. Empty out most of the water and run cold water on them, dump a large amount of ice on them and drain out most of the water so the ice sits comfortably on them.

I get perfect bright yellow yoke eggs everytime.
    :flowerforyou:
  • amyyeary71
    amyyeary71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We make large quanities to keep in the fridge for snacks. Put one whole (in shell) egg in each cup of a cupcake pan. Place in preheated to 350 oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, immediately submerging into a bowl of ice water. Let sit in ice water for a few minutes until able to handle. Will cook perfect AND peels perfectly EVERYTIME.

OR

Place eggs in pot of cold water. Bring to boil. Once water is boiling, turn down to simmer for 10 minutes. Eggs will cook perfectly everytime also.
  • PurplDeuce
    PurplDeuce Posts: 113
    Options
    I just tried this new way to hard boil eggs in the oven. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Put eggs in a 12 count muffin tin, stick in the oven and let them cook for 30 minutes. With tongs or slotted spoon trnasfer the eggs to a bowl of cold water and let sit for 10 min. Not only does it cook the eggs, but there is no issue peelig the shell.
  • PurplDeuce
    PurplDeuce Posts: 113
    Options
    We make large quanities to keep in the fridge for snacks. Put one whole (in shell) egg in each cup of a cupcake pan. Place in preheated to 350 oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, immediately submerging into a bowl of ice water. Let sit in ice water for a few minutes until able to handle. Will cook perfect AND peels perfectly EVERYTIME.

OR

Place eggs in pot of cold water. Bring to boil. Once water is boiling, turn down to simmer for 10 minutes. Eggs will cook perfectly everytime also.

Yes ma'am :smile: Works perfectly.