To all that have succeeded on here, please help!

Options
I'm hoping I can get advice from the people that have been here awhile and can tell me how they figured "it" out.

I'm 40 years old, not sure if that matters but I hear metabolism slows down during this time. Anyway, I'm fairly new at this and taking it far more serious then I ever have. I'm working out at least once a day if not twice (morning and night usually). I am wondering how you know how many calories you should really eat. I've been seeing so many people on here not eating what their MFP states. I eat around 1300 calories even though MFP says I can have over 1500. I don't do this on purpose, it's just that I don't eat that many calories usually, especially when I'm eating well and exercising.

I need advice. How do you know how many calories YOU need? I see people eating below 1200 and they are people that have lost 90 pounds. I have a thyroid problem so maybe that's why the weight is coming off slowly too. Who knows. I'm not going to discouraged....just want advice and support.

The inches are coming off faster than the scale and my attitude and energy level is great since I started going to the gym. So that's a plus.

Thanks in advance for any help you suggest!!
Amy

Replies

• christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stopped counting calories and logging food a while ago once I got used to what my body actually needed. When I was counting though I believe I was somewhere between 1,110-1,800 on most days. The biggest advice I can give is try to stick to your nutritional goals as well as your calorie goals. (Making sure you have enough protein, vitamins, carbs, etc) When you have proper nutrients in your body you have more energy and you end up being hungry less. It could also help with your metabolism.

Also, I logged everything for a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiile. I didn't stop until I felt overly comfortable with how I was eating and going about everything on a daily basis. I do still log from time to time to make sure I'm still on track but I've been on here a while and figure that not everyone who's at a healthy weight logs everything so it's just more of a tool to get and stay on track rather than something that needs to be done the rest of someone's life, in my opinion.
  • AdamFaris
    AdamFaris Posts: 10
    Options
    I didn't have a dramatic goal in mind, but I did lose about 25 pounds over the past 4 months, so I consider that success. I'm still in the early stages of figuring out the maintenance balance, but I'm getting pretty close. 0.4 pounds lost last week and stable weight for two weeks before that.

Honestly it is just a matter of experimentation. if you are still losing (when you want to maintain) you aren't eating enough. If you are measurably gaining over a few weeks then you are eating too much. I think MFP has mine set a tiny bit low (because of the lifestyle settings) but it is in the ball park. As long as you have good energy, I wouldn't worry too much about eating too little. Depending on your height, 1300 net calories can be perfectly healthy.

Of course that should be net calories, not gross. If you are eating 1300 but burning 500 through exercise, that is not the best idea for any period of time.
  • ameliadlt
    ameliadlt Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Use the mfp recommendations until you know your body better. Taking it slow is better in the long run. I've done the 1200 calorie thing, lost 10 lbs the first week and then nothing. You will slow your metabolism more eating too few calories. At 1580 calories a day I've lost 70 lbs, a pretty consistent 2-4 lbs per week. Mfp will change the recommendations; as you lose weight, you'll need fewer calories to create a deficit.
    If you struggle to meet the calories add in fats, they will get you there quickly and your body needs good fats to function.

Hope that helps.
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started at what MFP recommended, which was around 1200 cals a day. 10 lbs came off within a month (+ working out). Once I plateaued I started changing things up. I found that upping my calories to around 1600 helped me lose another chunk of weight. Now I change my routine every week or 2 - usually between 1500 and 2100 calories, but I also have become a better athlete and burn 700-1300 calories during a workout. Good luck!!
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    TDEE, people. Figure it out and take off 20 percent.

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

I was eating 1500ish + heavy exercise 5-6 days a week (triathlon training), and kept losing/gaining the same five pounds for months. Switched to 1950 and have lost 5 pounds in the first two weeks. I'm 5'9, 160ish.

But just a side note with TDEE - do not calculate your exercise calories because they are included in your daily allowance. For most people, the amount they think they burn is way off, unless they are using a heart rate monitor. I used to be friends with a rather misguided individual on here (5'4ish 175) who said she burned 500 calories using an elliptical machine for 15 minutes.

Um... according to my HR, I don't even burn 500 calories doing 30 minutes of Insanity.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!