eggplant

Options
fl46
fl46 Posts: 22 Member
Just tried eggplant for the first time. It reminds me of zucchini. The way I prepared it only took about 8 min and was delicious.
I peeled, sliced and breaded it with Panko crumbs. Fried in a non stick pan for a couple of minutes per side. Added diced tomatoes to cover for about 3 min to warm them. Then added thin sliced mozarella and put a lid on the pan to melt it.
This is definitely going to be a regular go to.... much quicker than baking a lasagne.

Replies

• fl46
    Options
    Anyone have other quick delicious eggplant ideas?
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That is my favorite way to eat it!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Prepare the slices as you did but then bake the slices in the oven. As good as fried but less greasy. Or, poke holes is the eggplant and roast it in the oven whole.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Just about any marinade you would use with pork or chicken and toss it on the grill. We used to do that on raft trips when I was a guide. It was the vegetarian option cooked side by side with strips of beef but we had to bring a lot more than vegetarians accounted for because pretty much anyone that tried it enjoyed it.
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Make Melitzanosalata an amazing dip or use it in a Thai curry instead of meat!
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite shortcuts: preheat a George Foreman (or whatever brand) electric grill; place ~1/2-1" thick slices of eggplant on there and douse them with liquid smoke and barbecue seasoning. Grill for ~8 minutes. So so good--particularly when I want something with the "grilled" flavour but am not firing up a barbecue.

Another thing I've done with eggplant (can't remember the exact recipe, it's more of a concept) is to shred/essentially julienne it (maybe a bit thicker; not too long), and salt and drain it. Then I mix that with egg whites and a bit of a binder (say, flax meal, chickpea flour, psyllium husk, pea protein, likely regular flour too) and seasonings as I desire. Then I'll pour that into a shallow non-stick/oiled pan and bake it until it's firm all the way through. Acts as a delicious base for whatever toppings you desire (I think I did a puree of lima beans, goat cheese, and sundried tomatoes?).
  • debbieae1
    Options
    I am a babaganoush addict. It is hard to find made, but easy to make. Poke holes in the eggplant and bake. Scoop out the pulp and blend with tahini, garlic (best roasted also), cilantro, salt and pepper. Other additions are sometimes used, but this is the basic recipe. I have this on a tortilla with smoked salmon sometimes, heaven. I make big batch and pull it out of the fridge and eat it cold.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I like to cut little slits in the eggplant slices and stuff them with garlic cloves, brush with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven . I also add tomato slices on top for the last 10 minutes of roasting.
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic! I've only had eggplant once, but am curious about it. After looking for recipes and getting a ton of eggplant parmesan, I gave up. I'll have to give some of these a try to see if it's something I want to add into my veggie rotation.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Fried is great, but roasted is really yummy too if you think you might like a roasted veggie sandwich.
    I heat my over to 350 and then on a pan I place olive oil brushed eggplant slices and also take whole
    red peppers and brush them with olive oil and bake until you see eggplant done to your liking and
    leave red peppers in until turning roasted brown. Place to roasted red pepper in a dish and cover
    with plastic so later it's easy to peel the skin off.
    If you sautee mushrooms in pan place all ingredients together on favorite bread that can hold such
    a mass of veggies............season to taste or add a little condiment. Enjoy!!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump, bu
    mp, b
    u
    m
    p.....
  • fl46
    Options
    LOVE feta so this will be great!!!
    Thanks for all the recipes.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I make kind of a veggie/goat cheese s'more, if you will. Slice eggplant and tomato to 1/2 inch slices. Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Stack together (in order): one slice eggplant, one slice tomato, and some crumbled goat cheese, followed by another slice of tomato and another slice of eggplant. Grill until bottom veggies are soft and pliable, then flip the whole stack carefully and grill the other side. Veggies should be cooked through and have grill marks, and goat cheese will be slightly melty. Soooooooooo goooooooooodddddd.......
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh i love it!!, and my husband hates it, cause of the colour he said, how twisted is that?? ha
    i put it in every stir fry and salad i make.
  • csoto81
    csoto81 Posts: 12
    Options
    Just seen this on Hungry Girls website, haven't tried it but it looks/sounds good!

HG's Awesome Eggplant Stir-Fry

Egg-cellent!

"HG, why does a simple veggie stir-fry need a guilt-free makeover?" Oh, sweet reader, how we wish this were a world in which restaurant folks did not feel the need to smother innocent veggies in oil. Until our wish comes true, you need our lightened-up swap!

Ingredients:
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1 tbsp. reduced-sodium/lite soy sauce
    2 tsp. sweet Asian chili sauce
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda or Truvia)
    1/2 tsp. sesame oil
    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cups peeled eggplant cut into 1" cubes (Chinese or Japanese eggplant, if available)
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    3 tbsp. chopped scallions, or more for garnish

Directions:
    To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water, and stir to dissolve. Add soy sauce, chili sauce, sweetener, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.

Bring a wok (or large skillet) sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir eggplant until mostly softened, 8 - 10 minutes.

Add garlic and continue to cook and stir until eggplant is soft and garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Stir sauce mixture, and add to the wok. Add scallions, and cook and stir until sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Eat up!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: entire recipe
    Calories: 162
    Fat: 3g
    Sodium: 715mg
    Carbs: 32.5g
    Fiber: 11.5g
    Sugars: 14g
    Protein: 5g
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I like to stir frying my egg plant with olive oil and teryaki sauce.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump for when i have eggplant
  • mittens6395
    Options
    I make kind of a veggie/goat cheese s'more, if you will. Slice eggplant and tomato to 1/2 inch slices. Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Stack together (in order): one slice eggplant, one slice tomato, and some crumbled goat cheese, followed by another slice of tomato and another slice of eggplant. Grill until bottom veggies are soft and pliable, then flip the whole stack carefully and grill the other side. Veggies should be cooked through and have grill marks, and goat cheese will be slightly melty. Soooooooooo goooooooooodddddd.......

I have to try this! I love eggplant and goat cheese but have never had them together. I've had goat cheese stuffed artichokes which were amazing. Awesome! Thanks for posting.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Yum!