Which Calorie Count is More Accurate???

Options
Is it more accurate to enter the calories burned from workouts from the machine you are using or from what MFP shows for the amount of time you worked out? Example: treadmill says I burn 82 calories walking at 2.5 for 23 minutes but if I use the MFP 2.5 walking for 23 minutes it says 132 calories burned?? Which should I use to keep track? Is MFP based off my current weight whereas the treadmill is not?

Replies

• DEBBIECERUNDOLO
    Options
    the best way to get a true calorie burn count is through a heart rate monitor. I just wore my heart rate monitor for my run, and it shows 341 calories burned. fitnesspal calculates it at 456 calories burned, the treadmill read 400. they don't take anything into consideration other than your weight. not your fitness level or how hard you work. So, just a word of warning you're better off figuring out the burn calories yourself.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When they're that far off, I average them. You might also want to check caloriesperhour.com and get one more perspective. Sparkpeople.com also has a decent calorie calculator, but I find it is usually lower than both CPH and MFP.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Reduce daily calorie intake moderately and let exercise work its magic. Don't put an emphasis on how many calories you've burned... it doesn't really matter and it's different for each person so there's 0% chance that you'll ever get that number right. Trust me on this one - I have so many clients who clung to the idea of exercising to burn calories - that is not the reason you should be exercising. Once you can separate those two concepts you'll be far better off.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Is it more accurate to enter the calories burned from workouts from the machine you are using or from what MFP shows for the amount of time you worked out? Example: treadmill says I burn 82 calories walking at 2.5 for 23 minutes but if I use the MFP 2.5 walking for 23 minutes it says 132 calories burned?? Which should I use to keep track? Is MFP based off my current weight whereas the treadmill is not?

Did you enter your weight on the treadmill?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I would go with the lower value just to be conservative. Calorie burns come from so many factors: height, weight, age, gender, exertion level .... :frown:
  • mutsey
    mutsey Posts: 11
    Options
    No, I did not enter my weight on the treadmill
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Gary_AquaMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Reduce daily calorie intake moderately and let exercise work its magic. Don't put an emphasis on how many calories you've burned... it doesn't really matter and it's different for each person so there's 0% chance that you'll ever get that number right. Trust me on this one - I have so many clients who clung to the idea of exercising to burn calories - that is not the reason you should be exercising. Once you can separate those two concepts you'll be far better off.
    I like this
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No, I did not enter my weight on the treadmill

Then the treadmill has absolutely no idea and is probably using a default weight of something like 160.

That said, I find MFPs numbers to be inflated. I'd just go with about 100 for this, and either use a Fitbit or HRM, or program the treadmill with my weight/age next time I'm on it.
  • KristyTonn
    KristyTonn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and I would agree it's more accurate. the treadmill doesn't usually allow you to enter you weight (which does affect how many calories you burn,) and the treadmill usually gives a number much lower than a HRM. MFP on the other hand gives me a number much higher than my HRM, so either get of of those or like someone else said, take the number in the middle of what the treadmill and MFP gives you.
  • DEBBIECERUNDOLO
    Options

Sorry, but isn't this the point of the website to help you lose weight with the idea of counting calories and getting benefits from calories burned.
  • DEBBIECERUNDOLO
    Options
    Neither.