Are fruits bad for losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    s
    Fruits have sugar, in small quantities they're okay, but you shouldn't binge on them. You also should not drink fruit juice while on a diet. It's pure sugar. The fact that it's fructose and not sucrose is not significant when consumed in that amount.

For more information, read theeatingacademy.com blog. I think this is covered in the Sugar 101 post.

How about some unbiased peer reviewed studies as opposed to a blog? You know....so we can pass on actual factual information.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Why don't you read the blog? It's written by a Stanford M. D. who analyzes studies and explains how to evaluate them in great detail. Many studies, even if they exist, aren't free to the layperson. This author is very straightforward about what is and is not available in the literature and he states when he's making an educated guess.

Only on myfitnesspal would someone complain about being referred to a qualified source.

I've started reading the blog and I don't agree with most of what I've read so far.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    s
    Fruits have sugar, in small quantities they're okay, but you shouldn't binge on them. You also should not drink fruit juice while on a diet. It's pure sugar. The fact that it's fructose and not sucrose is not significant when consumed in that amount.

For more information, read theeatingacademy.com blog. I think this is covered in the Sugar 101 post.

How about some unbiased peer reviewed studies as opposed to a blog? You know....so we can pass on actual factual information.

Why don't you read the blog? It's written by a Stanford M. D. who analyzes studies and explains how to evaluate them in great detail. Many studies, even if they exist, aren't free to the layperson. This author is very straightforward about what is and is not available in the literature and he states when he's making an educated guess.

Only on myfitnesspal would someone complain about being referred to a qualified source.

I've started reading the blog and I don't agree with most of what I've read so far.

Of course two doctors with degrees from one of the best medical schools in the country, people with years of clinical experience, and a knowledge of hundreds of studies would disagree... But wait....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    s

Of course two doctors with degrees from one of the best medical schools in the country, people with years of clinical experience, and a knowledge of hundreds of studies would disagree... But wait....

So you take the credentials and arbitrarily assume the information is correct? Dr Mercola has multiple degrees and he thinks that microwaves are dangerous.

I think using credentials as a means to validate information is a risky thing to do.

And just to be clear this isn't personal. I'm simply stating that I disagree with what I've read so far on that blog.
  • Amberwms101
    Options
    I personally think whatever works for you is the best way to go everybody's body's are different. I wanted to add green smoothies in my diet and came across this. Doesn't make much since to me.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/how-green-smoothies-can-devastate-your-health/
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    is this a joke?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ill get flamed but yes. They are high in sugar. stick to 2 pieces per day and eat veggies instead.
    :flowerforyou:
    The blog I mentioned gives further suggestions. Eat broccoli instead of peas and carrots and yams over white potatoes.

Good point, some "veggies" are also high in sugar. I dont consider potatoes or corn to be veggies-they are starches. And yes carrots are high in sugar too!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Fruits don't really have much effect on weight loss.

For home decoration though. That's another story.
  • migueltavares
    Options
    As a fitness model used to cut weight, i would say no.

1- The sugar from fruits are natural and eaten throughout the day ( 2-3 for myself) will keep you full and satisfied.
    2 - They can substitute bad food that you want to eat. Life for example, instead of eating a cookie you eat an apple.
    3 - It contains beneficial vitamins and such, that will keep you healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    s

Two doctors is a pretty small percentage. The doctors at Harvard say eat your fruit.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vegetables-and-fruits/
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    ill get flamed but yes. They are high in sugar. stick to 2 pieces per day and eat veggies instead.

Why?
  • 1prettieladi
    Options
    It's not that the fruit is bad for you, but too much of a good thing is always a bad thing. When eating fruit, always balance it with some type of veggies. So I usually go with the 80/20 rule.. a breakfast smoothie for me would be the following:

1 MEDIUM GALA APPLE
    4 FROZEN STRAWBERRIES
    1/2 CUP BLUEBERRIES
    1 CUP OF CARROT JUICE
    2 CUPS FRESH SPINACH
    1 CUP KALE
    1/4 CHOPPED AVOCADO
    All blended with a bit of ice!!!
  • 1prettieladi
    Options
    also try eating any fruits you plan to have before 2pm so that your body has time to burn off that sugar
  • beautifulone2
    beautifulone2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fruits are good for you, but don't use them to satisfy your "5-a-day" needs. You need to incorporate vegetables too.
    ChooseMyPlate.gov is a great place to get your information.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are fruits bad for losing weight?

If you have then in your pockets when you weigh-in they are.

^^^^This. Yes. This is my weight loss philosophy in a nutshell.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fruits are good for you, but don't use them to satisfy your "5-a-day" needs. You need to incorporate vegetables too.
    ChooseMyPlate.gov is a great place to get your information.

This one is better: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

And they will tell why it's better here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate-vs-usda-myplate/
  • shaneewilliams51
    shaneewilliams51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can't eat fruit because of the sugar. Can't eat meat because I'm killing the animals and the human body can't digest it. Can't eat wheat and grains and veggies because cavemen didn't. Can't eat Pop Tarts because they're made of Windex and beaver secretions. Can't eat the McRib because it's made of a yoga mat. Can't drink water because of water intoxication and hyponatremia. Can't eat white food because of the starch. Can't eat gluten because it's gluten. Can't drink diet sodas because rats died in California. Can't eat Twinkies because Hostess shut down. Can't drink coffee because it's a diuretic. Can't microwave food because of Death Star planet destroying Death Rays. Can't eat peanut butter because someone at work or school or the passerby on the street might have some nut allergy.

This weight loss thing is gonna be a piece of cake!! Wait...can't have cake..nevermind.

keep-calm-and-kill-me-now-4_zpsf62082fb.png

OMG!!! I'm ROFL right now!!!! *Gives high five* lol
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    its pretty much a known fact that fruits could kill you.

Example: Try to swallow a whole banana without gagging....

also: create a GIF of the above activity
    no one wants to watch me do it! :(
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    fruits = good for you! definately not bad for loosing weight