Running advice Please!!!

Options
Hey folks, I'm in need some advice. I was wondering how long did you train for your first triathlon or race before you did it?
There is a half marathon on Cape Cod 5/19 I keep looking at. I'm not sure I can do it as I'm not a big runner, plus as dumb as it sounds I'm also not sure because I will be alone? All my races have been obstacles(more than 4) and with people I know. I've done 6 hour spinathons(more than 2) before as well as 2 century rides. But I really want to do this half marathon however it's freaking me out. Any thoughts?

Replies

• linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How long was your longest run in the last couple of weeks?
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Most training guides are at least 10 weeks. There are 12 or 16 weeks training programs also for a half.

Google them and you will find many options!

Good luck :)
  • kimdea39
    kimdea39 Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you ever done a 5K? You may want to consider doing that first. It usually takes 12-16 weeks to train for a half.
  • clspwagner
    clspwagner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you can do it, you may have to run 2 miles walk 1 mile if your longest run is 4 miles. When you can make it to 9 mile run you should be be able to do the half just by walking 100 yards or so per water stop. Don't hurt yourself by running to much to quick and there is no shame in walking
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    3 miles...not very long at all..but I haven't been running everyday either.

Deep down I know I could do it, but could I do it without dying? Or having the search team come find me, because it took too long to finish?
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have done over at least 4 5ks, my first one took me almost an hour and a half, the last one I did in November took me 50 mins. I felt like that was a good improvement (there was about a month in between my first and last one)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    <runner gripe> I see a lot of new runners just dying to run a marathon/half-marathon, when in fact the best starter race is a 5K - long enough to test your stamina, but also fun enough to keep you interested <runner gripe>

<foot in mouth> I did not read the post right above mine <foot in mouth>
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. That is a big jump. Well you can probably cross the finish line but you don't want the experience to miserable. Slow and steady is going to be key.

You need to increase your mileage slowly so you don't get injury. One run a week should be a long slow distance run (LSD). This is where you increase your mileage. The other runs can be regular runs. If the course is hilly do some hilly training.

Would you consider swtiching to a 10k? I think that is more reasonable goal.

One of the key things to half marathon training is the nutrition. After about 45 minutes your body needs fuel. There are lots of products out there like gels,but you need to figure out what flavours and products works best for your body. Some runners report upset stomachs and things like that with some products.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would not attempt to run the entire thing in that time frame given where you are now. I am sure you could do it with a combination of running/walking.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You might want to check to see if the race has a cut off time. If you take your 50 minute pace for a 5k you are looking at over 3.5 hours for the half.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    that's short, and you may end up either injured/not finishing/discouraged

One or two extra months would definitely not hurt.
    try to run a 10k on your own in the coming weeks and see how long it takes you, and figure out if you could go for twice that distance
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You should ask the professionals this kind of question. If you're a member of a gym, talk to some of the trainers there, or look up training schedules online.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    and as said Zaria, at your current pace you would not finish in time
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hoping to not come off as unsupportive, if you ran a 5K in November in 50 mins improving from 90 mins either work on your time for a different 5K or train for a 10K. I'm not saying you can't do a 1/2 but training for one does take some time, commitment and some mileage and a solid beginners plan is usually 12 weeks long. You could risk injury trying to rush it not to mention at your current pace actually finishing. Yes you could run/walk it but 13.1 miles is a long distance to run/walk. Start slow, work your way up. FWIW I started last year running by doing c25k twice then Bridge to 10K then a 12 week 1/2 Marathon training for my race I ran in October.
  • hegster01
    hegster01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There's another half marathon at Cape Cod that is called Zooma. It's in September and an all womens race series. Look it up. It will give you more time to train. I will be doing this half. Where in Ma do you live? I live in the Milford area...
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. That is a big jump. Well you can probably cross the finish line but you don't want the experience to miserable. Slow and steady is going to be key.

You need to increase your mileage slowly so you don't get injury. One run a week should be a long slow distance run (LSD). This is where you increase your mileage. The other runs can be regular runs. If the course is hilly do some hilly training.

Would you consider swtiching to a 10k? I think that is more reasonable goal.

Took the words out of my mouth. A 10k is probably a more reasonable goal in that particular time-frame. It would also give you a leg up in training for a half-marathon a bit further down the road. If you do attempt it, I suggest you look at the Galloway method which advocates alternating periods of running and walking. Then, your chances of coming out uninjured and happy are much higher!
  • rrsmith1298
    Options
    I started training hard the beginning of February for a March 10 half marathon. I felt ready and ran it in 2:09. Before February, I had run at least 10 miles per week sometimes more, sometimes less and I did a 10K in 1:01. I think you can do it! Just go go go!
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get out there and run. At least try to run 5 days a week, even if it is only 1.5 miles.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Also don't worry or not do something bc you're alone. I run all my races and trained alone. My husband goes to the big ones to support me. If you still feel odd or scared find a running club.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's 1/2 Marathon Training for Beginners. I think it's 12 weeks. It's going to be tight, but some people can do it.

You'll need to run 3 days a week. Day 1 is 3 miles, Day 2 is 6 miles, and Day 3 is the long run. The 1/2 is 13 miles, then you can back into it with the time you have left, subtracting 1 mile each week. I think you have 7 or 8 weeks, so this Saturday you need to do 6 or 7 miles.

The good news is the Cape is pretty flat. I lived there for 26 years.