bullying in the workplace

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Bullying, verb: Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

This isn't bullying, it's just rude.

Act like an adult and confront people instead of acting like a child yourself.

How is asking about advice in a sticky situation acting like a child?

Asking for advice is not acting like a child. Bringing it to the boss's attention before talking to her co-workers about it is acting like a child.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What you need to do is walk up to them and tell them if they have a problem or something to say then they should address you instead of acting like immature 16 year olds. I dealt with catty women in the work place and I didn't put up with it. Dont let them walk all over you because it will become a little game to them and it will only make your life more miserable.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    tell them bishes this: ay yo! MY BACK IS NOT A VOICEMAIL... SAY IT TO MY FACE.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is why whenever i start a new job, i instantly kill the largest co-worker. this earns me respect and lets all others know i'm not one to be messed with.

This is also what I do. It sends a powerful message. A powerful message, indeed.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Is worrying about what other co-workers say about you behind your back in your job description? No, ok, then get back to doing what you are being paid for.

On a serious note, if you want to survive the real world, ingrain this in your psyche. "It's none of my business what others think of me, it's none of my business what other say about me. It is my business to strive each day to reach my potential."
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Grow a set and talk to your coworkers first.

seriously this^^^^^^^

so much fewer problems less drama etc!!!!!!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'd do something like this:

wait til they are talking again and approach.
    speak with kindness and state... I heard you wondering if I am pregnant, or just fat.

I am not pregnant. And really, you may think I am fat... But I am taking steps to fix that.

Next time, just ask. It's not like I could possibly think you were any more rude than I think you are now.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

speak with kindness and state... I heard you wondering if I am pregnant, or just fat.

I am not pregnant. And really, you may think I am fat... But I am taking steps to fix that.

Next time, just ask. It's not like I could possibly think you were any more rude than I think you are now.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    They're teen girls, so it shouldn't be any surprise to you that they act like that. If it really bothers you, put cat turds in their purse when they aren't looking.

You're my new hero!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Just quit!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

That's similar to what I'd do. Except, because I'm "not right," I'd be funny and sarcastic about it. I might even wear a "not pregnant, just fat" shirt for a week. Or I'd be incredibly callous and say "I *was* pregnant." and then just leave it at that. For me, that's true. I was pregnant 14 years ago. I'm probably not the person you should take advice from.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's mean and hurtfull. It does't make you weak if you feel bad about it. They are being small. You have some choices. You can swallow it and take the higher ground. This probably solves nothing because it's them and they'll keep it up. You can find a job where the people are more positive and you can thrive on your own value. Or, you can confront them in an adult way: ie not immature or yelling yourself, just facts, not about pointing fingers, and how it makes you feel. I've tried this: not so helpful with immature people.

Honestly? Is it worth it? The real long term answer is to ditch them and find a place that you can feel good about, leaving them in the dust. If you can't, then you have to try and make it work while advocating for yourself and not allowing people to walk over you passive aggressively like they are. You normally can't change others, and creating a stink just makes them meaner. Bullies like reactions. They'll move on, but they'll probably be replaced with more of the same if that place fosters this behavior.

Oh, your dream job. That narrows it down to you, them, and human resources. And ignoring immature things from immature people.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They're teen girls, so it shouldn't be any surprise to you that they act like that. If it really bothers you, put cat turds in their purse when they aren't looking.

For real. When you work with teenager girls you've gotta just ignore the crap.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Confront them. They'll be embarrassed about it and will most likely stop.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    Just quit!

Except for these girls it is my dream job.. so no
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I deal with it daily. I used to allow the silent treatments and the screaming matches to happen.

Now I call the person out on their crap and it seems to work well. I do apologize when I discover I am wrong, it's all about being grown ups.

I would confront the people, see what the deal is in a firm, but poliet, way (thin line, be careful!!) If they tease and treat you like crap or belittle you, then take it to HR.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You have a few of options

1. confront them
    2. Do not confront them
    3. wish you had confronted them

I didn`t mention the 4th...your are 21 years old, you are an adult?
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What's going to stop them?

Your human resources department.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Just quit!

Except for these girls it is my dream job.. so no

Welp. then you are just going to have to deal with their crap. Either get snarkier yourself or ignore their immaturity....
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    What's going to stop them?

Your human resources department.

^^^ And this.