How do you get yourself to the gym

Options
How do you do it when you really don't want to? I had to force myself to go today. anyone have little mental tricks they play on themselves to get up and just do it?

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I bet you felt better though afterwards.

On those unusual days I need a kick start I usually think about why I started my journey in the first place then about my results and the work Ive put into getting my results. Im also a creature of habit if I miss a lifting session I think Ive stuffed up the whole programme lol just a sillu mental thing for me but it works :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I drive.

I also do my best not to make excuses for myself. I need to work out five times a week minimum, so I get the workouts in during the first five days of the week, less stress for me!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I drive. :wink:

I just go, no excuses!! :bigsmile:
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I focus on how much better I will feel for making myself go. I know I will feel bad for missing a session. My options are: sit around thinking about the gym or get up and burn some calories. The time will pass anyway. I've also added a preworkout to give me a boost. You may not agree with them or like them, but they give me the kick I need to get going. There is no way I can sit around after I've taken C4, Jack3d, or Assault. :)
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I think to myself that i am going to disney world to see mickey when I get in my car then when I get to the gym and find out that I am not in disney world, I get mad so i have to lift weights to take all my stress away.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Get in my car and drive there!

But seriously, I try to think of how awesome I'm going to feel afterwards, and how proud I'll be of myself for going instead of staying home.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As with everything else in my week, it's in my diary. The time is allocated, so I have to go. I used to have to sort of talk myself into it, but once I got into a routine it just became part of what I do.
  • justkate88
    Options
    I take my gym stuff with me to work, if I've got it with me, I'll go on my way home. If I come home first, it's 50:50 whether or not I'll bother.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym is how I start my day. If I don't go to the gym in the morning, I'm more likely to give an excuse not to (i.e. I have to do homework, I have class, too tired). I set my alarm to wake up early - *kitten* crack of dawn. It's a great way to start your day.
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    I have a 15 year old daughter recovering from ACL reconstruction so I go along her 3 or 4 times a week. Two of these visits are at 6.30am. She gets on with her rehab exercises and I just do my own thing.

We both motivate each other into going apart from me kicking her out of bed at 6am.... ;-) The joys of waking her up....
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Due to my crazy work schedule, the only time I have is AFTER being out of the house 13-14hrs a day!! Needless to say, I have a hard time getting into the gym on certain days. I focus on the feeling I will have post-workout. I always feel rejuvenated and good about myself. It is 100% a mental game!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Going was the hardest part for me.

So I quit and bought weights for home and do all my running outside. It's worked beautifully.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm in a habit of going, it's not that hard.

BUT, before it became a habit, it helped me to pack my gym bag the night before (I shower there, so I have to pack clothes, shower stuff, hair dryer etc) so then when I was tired in the morning and didn't want to go, I would tell myself that I already packed everything. If I don't end up going, then I just wasted all that time getting everything ready for no reason.

It seems kind of silly, but it helped me!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I go first thing in the morning and look at it as being as mandatory as going to work, I have no choice. If I try to talk myself out of it I use a technique that a trainer told me: Go to the gym and at least touch the door. If you truly still don't feel like working out then turn around and go home. Personally, I have never gone home. I may tell myself I'll take it easy but usually once I get going, I get bored with not pushing it so I end up going all out.

There is a big mental factor... Nike is right: Just do it!! And you will always feel great for having done so.

Edited to add

Always make sure your gym bag is packed and ready to go the night before (including water bottle in the fridge and post workout snack in the bag, I even have most of my breakfast laid out). Also make sure you get enough sleep. Hard to get out of bed or extend your day after work when tired.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm in a habit of going, it's not that hard.

BUT, before it became a habit, it helped me to pack my gym bag the night before (I shower there, so I have to pack clothes, shower stuff, hair dryer etc) so then when I was tired in the morning and didn't want to go, I would tell myself that I already packed everything. If I don't end up going, then I just wasted all that time getting everything ready for no reason.

It seems kind of silly, but it helped me!

Cosigned.

Except I go after work. Once you get into the habit it feels weird to skip a day.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Make it part of my schedule. I go right after work. No excuses. It's on the way home, it's got a Kids Klub for my daughter and I require myself to do 30 minutes which is next to nothing in the scope of one day.
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of 24 hour fitness and I add classes to my calendar so this way it pops up to remind me to go. If that doesn' work, I think about how many calories I'll burn. It usually helps me. :smile:
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I look at myself in the mirror and compare what I see to what I want to see. Then I grab the bag and go workout.

Usually works.
  • ness8484
    ness8484 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Those are the days I put my workout in MFP before I go so I can see how it helps my day, and if I burn enough calories (and have them left over without using them all back up) I eat a little snack afterwards. I get excited to say okay if I go I can have a couple cookies or some chocolate pudding when I get home.
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i really need to use some of these tips, im hopeless.

i do agree with the preparation though, if ive remembered to sort out my gym bag and put it in the car, im much much more likely to stop at the gym on my way home...