CONFUSED ON HOW MUCH TO EAT?

Options
How many calories am i suppose to get in if i'm working out? the same as my goal, over or under? I never really watched my diet and i'm very confused on what i'm "suppose" to eat and how much when your working out. I'm also breastfeeding my 7 week old so i want to make sure i'm eating enough for that. Any help would be great! Thanks!! :)

And if anyone would like to add me that would be great so i can get more advice! :)

Replies

• CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There's big debate on whether or not to 'eat back' your exercise calories. I don't, unless I'm really hungry, then I do. I also am not doing super duper heavy exercise either, but walking, hiking, biking, etc. If you search you should be able to find out how many calories a day for breast feeding moms, but I'm not quite sure. I breast fed my four, but I wasn't watching my diet at that time. I always gained weight breast feeding because I was so hungry all the time. I lost weight while pregnant, but gained while breast feeding, I know, backwards. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a debate, It's a misunderstanding. People who are for not eating back the exercise calories don't understand how it works.

Agreed.
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can send you some information to help you figure out what your calories should be. It's a bit much to post here. :) You need to have a 500 cal/day deficit to lose one pound a week. But you will need to add 500 calories to be sure you're getting enough nourishment for bf, since bf burns 500 cal/day. :)
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ok if i make my stuff public can someone look at my diary. i know i'm not eating the best and new and trying to change just need to know if its correct or not! lol
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    can you look at my diary?
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    I can send you some information to help you figure out what your calories should be. It's a bit much to post here. :) You need to have a 500 cal/day deficit to lose one pound a week. But you will need to add 500 calories to be sure you're getting enough nourishment for bf, since bf burns 500 cal/day. :)

can you see my diary?
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    There's big debate on whether or not to 'eat back' your exercise calories. I don't, unless I'm really hungry, then I do. I also am not doing super duper heavy exercise either, but walking, hiking, biking, etc. If you search you should be able to find out how many calories a day for breast feeding moms, but I'm not quite sure. I breast fed my four, but I wasn't watching my diet at that time. I always gained weight breast feeding because I was so hungry all the time. I lost weight while pregnant, but gained while breast feeding, I know, backwards. Feel free to add me if you like.

I wouldn't call it a debate, It's a misunderstanding. People who are for not eating back the exercise calories don't understand how it works.

Can you check out my diary to see if i'm doing this right? I know my food isn't the best yet.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    yes, I would say you are not eating nearly enough and the quality of many of your food choices are empty calories, really. I indulge in treats every day, but my main meals are pretty nutritious. I am not sure about the breast feeding factor, but it seems that you have a calculation in your food planner for it. Where did you find that calorie count for that? Anyway, please feel free to friend me and you can check out my diary. I only joined MFP about a month ago, but have lost 55 pounds in total over 12 months.
  • SydneyRenee2
    Options
    Sorry, got off for a bit & won't be on much longer. Gotta get the kiddies in bed. I'll look at your diary...
  • JENNIENS
    Options
    thank you everyone!!
  • SydneyRenee2
    Options
    You definitely need to get more protein and less packaged food. You probably need to eat about 1800 calories a day. I can help you more with this tomorrow. :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I just checked, doesn't look like you're doing it right. Where it says "remaining calories." IT should be as close to 0 as possible, some days you're under by 300-500 calories.

Yeah this

You need to eat more - and you should be eating back your exercise calories if you are doing MFPs calorie calculations as they have already worked in a deficit for you to lose weight. I also agree that you may not be making the best food choices. (me either some days but I am working on it)

Also please read this as said above

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • valreb802
    Options
    I'm confused too!!!!! :sad: Ugh... A little frustrated ...I started on weight watchers but the eat whatever want as long as you're within point just did make sense to me. I want to be a healthy eater so I've been doing some research reading about the paleo diet and the flat belly.. But I still feel feel the need to calorie count. I joined my fitness pal hoping I could combine what I've learned but don't really understand the calories earned thing... Can you send me the info too?

I know, long winded...sorry! :happy:
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenniens, I agree with the other posts about needing more protein. Have you tried different things for breakfast? During the week when I have to go to work I take 1 cup of plain vanilla yogurt (110 cal) 1/2 - 3/4 cup fresh berries & 1/3 cup KIND granola or I scramble 2 eggs & add turkey sausage or diced ham & veggies (actually I mix all & microwave). For lunch I have 2 cups salad greens, assorted veggies ( cherry tomatoes, gr peppers etc), 1/2 cup chick peas, and either 3 oz chicken strips or a hard boiled egg diced on top. Sometimes both chicken & egg if I am falling short of protein. I try to plan my dinner menu out for the week that way I know how many calories I can have for my breakfast or lunch. If I see I can afford (calorie wise) to have something for a snack then I make sure I have a selection to choose from ( baby bel lite cheese - 50 cal, hard boiled egg - 80 cal, apple - 100 cal etc). I also have protein powder & almond milk so I can mix up a protein shake if I need to.

At a quick glance it looks like maybe you are getting so busy with the baby you are just grabbing whatever is quick & on hand. Understandable of course! Maybe you could start by trying to put together a menu of things that you like & are going to help you meet your nutritional needs. Try thinking of 2 or 3 breakfasts & 2 or 3 lunches that are quick to make that you can rotate between. I just bought a big bag of grilled chicken strips & I weighed them out into 3oz snack baggies & threw them in the freezer so all I have to do is grab one & go. I hard boiled a bunch of eggs over the weekend so they are ready to grab.

Another thing - measure & weigh everything until you know for sure what 1 cup of pasta or 3oz of meat looks like. Even 2TB of dressing. I know for me it is so easy to dish something out "thinking its 1 cup" and then going back & measuring & seeing its twice that.

My DD just had a baby & was breast feeding & she was always drinking water - make sure you get enough of that too. But get your food calories! Redo your math if you doubt your numbers are correct - make sure you are working with the right numbers & good luck. Have you looked here to see if there is a thread for breast feeding mothers?
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous responses in regards to eating so many packaged foods and perhaps you should adjust meals so that you're eating more balanced meals instead of loading up on snacks so much.

I do my best to avoid packaged snacks but do my best to get as many "real" foods as I can....whether its fruit, a real home cooked dinner, etc.

Feel free to add me if you would like. Have a great night!!!
  • sunset34
    sunset34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just looked in on this chat, im confused on this eating your exercise calories also.

If you do add these ,wont you lose less weight...????

Why would you want ?.

Cheers.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    While BFing I would recommend setting your goal to lose only 1/2 a pound weekly... you will be given a target that will (should - this is an estimate) give you a 250 calorie daily deficit without exercise. If you want to eat more or feel up to it, exercise. Log the exercise and eat back most of the calories you get from exercising.

If you try for 1-2 lbs/week in weight loss you'll likely lose your milk supply.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just looked in on this chat, im confused on this eating your exercise calories also.

If you do add these ,wont you lose less weight...????

Cheers.

No, MFP builds in a deficit to lose for example 2lb a week without exercise, if you don't eat back your exercise calories you are creating a bigger deficit.

This is not always better - you need to fuel your body. Often people set their goal as an unrealistic 2lbs per week loss and then don't eat back their exercise calories meaning that they are netting a very small number of calories - that isn't that healthy.

ie if you only get 1200 calories per day, then exercise for 200 calories but don't eat them back you only net 1000 calories for the day. This will be far below most peoples BMR (the calories their body needs to survive in a coma).

I hope this makes sense. :ohwell:

Edit: 2lbs per week is unrealistic if you don't have a lot to lose. Lots of people chose it as it is the most MFP allows you. Often 1lb per week is a much more realistic goal.
  • sunset34
    sunset34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply's to adding exercise in.well explained cheers.