Best strength training routines for newbie?

Options

Replies

• djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Bump
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    good info here

My question is this, hope someone can answer :

When doing strength exercises at home, are you best working certain body parts each day or is it better to do an entire body workout?
    ie one day is legs, then arms, then abs/core etc etc ( not necessarily in that order) and if so should they be done in a certain order?

I want to start strength training at home, at the moment I have dumb bells only but with a variety of plates so I can change the weights. I just have no idea how to put together a plan. I do Muay Thai on mondays and fridays but am still new to that !

thanks

I believe most people will say that as a beginner it is best to do a full body workout 3 days a week, no need to make it overly complicated. Compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, chest press etc. Check out some of the links I posted higher up for some good ideas.

thanks, I will do ! good to know
  • cagletb
    cagletb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    good info here

My question is this, hope someone can answer :

When doing strength exercises at home, are you best working certain body parts each day or is it better to do an entire body workout?
    ie one day is legs, then arms, then abs/core etc etc ( not necessarily in that order) and if so should they be done in a certain order?

I want to start strength training at home, at the moment I have dumb bells only but with a variety of plates so I can change the weights. I just have no idea how to put together a plan. I do Muay Thai on mondays and fridays but am still new to that !

thanks

I believe most people will say that as a beginner it is best to do a full body workout 3 days a week, no need to make it overly complicated. Compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, chest press etc. Check out some of the links I posted higher up for some good ideas.

thanks, I will do ! good to know
  • cagletb
    cagletb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like jillian michaels no more trouble zones.its those type of exercises. Works entire body and you use 3 lb weights.
  • maclarenrobin
    Options
    I like the "Scooby" page. It is down to earth, can be done at home and doesn't cost a ton to set up, and it is very functional. Plus, the whole website is free and loaded with good solid info.

Good luck!
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    THIS>> http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

I started doing this at the gym and it seems to be doing me good. It's not complicated at allllll. I hope you can find what's right for you : )
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nik2710
    nik2710 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I've started new rules of lifting for women and I'm really enjoying it - there are a few groups that you could check out to get peoples opinions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

and for stronglifts

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Also a general group for people who want to lift and eat more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Good luck :flowerforyou:

This.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts or Starting Strength.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    full body "simple" lifts

Olympic lifts are tough to learn wouldn't suggest even attempting without personal trainer and/or teacher

squat & dead are tough but doable, just make sure you youtube everything before going to the the gym.

most important rule of lifting is keeping your back "straight" (neutral spine)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Definitely Starting Strength or Stronglifts. I am doing Stronglifts programme but use the Starting Strength book for advice on form etc.

Amazing results in just weeks.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i liked jim wendlers 5/3/1 plan. https://www.dropbox.com/s/se5ep4lv9d0ys72/Book.pdf some people might say it's for more intermeadiate or advanced lifters, but wendler himself says that it is fine for beginners. you progress slowly but surely through the weights, adding 5-10 lbs every week, and starting a new cycle every four weeks.

the program is built around the four main lifts, dead lift, squat, over head press, and bench press. at most you go to the gym to work on those lifts four times a week, and do cardio a couple of times a week in between.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm doing All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine. It has a 3 day full body schedule with mainly compound lifts using barbells. It is however possible to adept it to dumbbells.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5 x 5.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Regardless of which specific program you do, plan to be consistent with it for 1 to 2+ years with minimal missed training sessions. That'll yield much better results than picking the 'best' one.
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing everyone! Super bump!