Quick question....1500 or 1310 calories?

Options
stongue
stongue Posts: 34 Member
I was hoping someone could help me with this. When I signed up Fitness Pal told me to plan on 1310 cals/day, but my husband told me that I should be doing 1500 cals/day. I told him how I had read on here how people actually eat more calories after they exercise and burn off calories, and he said that if I stuck to 1500 calories a day it would be easier and I wouldn't have to think so much about it. I am a little concerned that maybe I should do the 1310 calories as it is suggested here. Should I really be eating the amount of calories I burn off in addition? My goal is to lose 80 lbs and I have lost 11 so far, five of them since I joined Fitness Pal.

Replies

• shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    I personally think you have to play around with your calorie intake. When I'm below 1400 I tend to binge a lot more easily which obviously leads to not losing. I almost always eat my exercise calories because there are so many posts on here saying you should. You will still lose! Try different calorie intakes for the first several weeks and see what works best for you. Just remember you will lose a lot at first then it will slow, but slow and steady wins the race! Hope this helps. :smile:
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing is working....I would not change anything. Eating exercise cals back is different with everyone. Some eat all, some eat 1/2, some eat none. I would just do what works for you. If you are noticing that you are hungry throughout the day, then you might need an increase in cals. Make sure all your info is correct on the goals page. Eating lots of fiber, fresh fruits and veggies and 100% whole grains will keep you fuller....along with healthy fats and proteins, and water!! You've lost 11 so far ~ CONGRATS!! good luck and keep on going!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree with ziesergirl because I don't eat my calories back and I burn anywhere from 800-1100 on most days and I am on an 1850 calorie "diet". Just do what feels right for your body. Now if you are feeling hungry all the time at your current 1300 intake then up it by 200 and you should be fine because that is another snack there or an added measurement to your lunch and dinner. Hope it works out for you :wink:
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    1500 is def better idea esp as you have a lot to lose... if you start low where can you go after losing a lot? and eat back your excersise cals def!
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is the 1310 set for losing 2 lbs a week? I tried that at first too. It gave me 1350 a day. After about 2 weeks I had lost a lot of weight, but I was starving! It was a little too limiting for me. I am starting at losing 1 lb a week, which is 1850 calories. So I allow myself anywhere between the 1350 and the 1850 mark, on any given day. It changes, but on a typical day I eat around 1600. And it is MUCH easier for me. I haven't felt like I am depriving myself at all. I ate Jack in the Box last night and I didn't end up binging.
  • stongue
    stongue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your awesome input!! I really do appreciate everything said. I think based on the general consensus I will continue to eat 1500 cals/day as I have been doing. Most of the time I am really content and not hungry. Every once in a while I feel a little hungry but not on a daily basis. I will watch my progress and if I stop losing for a few weeks then at that time maybe I need to reevaluate and figure out how to best approach it with everyone's input again. I haven't done the 1300 cals/day at all bc I felt that that probably would not have been enough to keep me feeling full. Again, thank you, and I hope to continue to learn from everyone else's experiences.