Punk Rock!

Options

Replies

• Polymorphist
    Options
    I'm a huge fan, spent several years playing in various bands through the late '80's/early '90's when I lived in Michigan and again in the early-to-mid '00's when I lived in Seattle.

Funny about Green Day, one of the bands I was in played a show with them on their first tour in July 1990, Billie Joe had longish dark hair, LOL. This is when they were on Lookout! Records, before the majors came a-calling. They only had the Sweet Children and 1000 Hours 7 inch 45 RPM discs as well as the 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours LP out at that time. I remember trading with Mike Dirnt one of our demos for their 1000 Hours record, I loved that freaking record and we played the living hell out of it. I remember they camped out in a tent on the lakeshore that night because they didn't have any money.

We also played with Neurosis that summer on their first tour, another Lookout! band from the Bay Area. I remember those guys were very intimidating when they walked through the door of the venue - dirty/grungy, barefoot, short/squat guitarist with a pointed goatee grown down to his chest, camouflage pants cut-off below the knee and natural-red dreadlocks down to his shoulders. He looked like Satan's incarnate. They all turned out to be very nice, though, and I remember talking at length with Scott Kelly about both Green Day and The Melvins.

But I remember seeing SNFU, No Means No, Corrosion of Conformity (with Mike Dean), Black Flag, Descendants, major label-era Husker Du...man those were fun times.
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh! I forgot the Birthday Party. Growly angry Nick Cave.
  • addreonnaseger
    Options
    Scottish Punk, thank you. (:
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Me! Still love punk to this day. Growing up in SF Bay Area- we got to see Green Day and AFI before they got big! Since they are from around here, they were always playing shows. But... those aren't the bands I think of when I hear punk.
    My faves of all time:
    Buzzcocks (hence my screen name)
    Clash
    Misfits
    Cramps
    Ramones
    Toy Dolls
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Pogues
    Social D
    and local favorite: Swingin Utters!!
    Still a lot of good punk happening around San Francisco area these days! I'm just too old and tired from the kids to go enjoy it! haha! Cheers all!
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I effing love Rancid. still on my playlist after all these years <3
  • xSTx
    xSTx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Punk fan here ! Some of my fav bands are Plasmatics, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI,Gang Green, Poison Idea, Dayglo Abortions you get the idea ! I'm Canadian but for the last few years I've hit up the Punk Rock Bowling down in Vegas which is always a good time. I'm not going this year, wish I was but can't make it. Probably not a bad idea although theres a subway on fremont its not the healthiest weekend haha
  • Fat_Jimi
    Fat_Jimi Posts: 81
    Options
    70' & 80's Austrlaian punk, liek the Victims or the Corpse Grinders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hsBQjPO2-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-h-5i_ecc

I really like the un polished sound of this era
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    RAMONES!!!

This!
  • DirtyHammer
    DirtyHammer Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Was totally rockin som Dropkik for St. Patties Beer Pong. What a night that was!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've always been a huge fan of Green Day. And while some of the appeal has left, they still put on a hell of an awesome live show. Also, their new albums are pretty darn solid (the last two, at least).

Dropkick Murphys, Rancid, and others...though I have to say that I listened to it a lot more when I was "younger" (because I am old now at 25, you see...). I listen to a lot more progressive rock now -- Coheed and Cambria, The Dear Hunter, System of a Down, etc.

OH! Garbage. They were sort of a techno-ish punk-ish hybrid of some sort, but they are awesome. as hell.
  • DirtyHammer
    DirtyHammer Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree, Greenday was one hellova a show. Saw them with NFG, and Sugarcult in Texas back in '05. Wow, 8 years ago and still vividly remember that night...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Love early AFI! the whole 'Very Proud Of Ya' album was great!!
    Word.

Recently saw Pennywise, always a great concert with lots of energy.
  • TC1728
    TC1728 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love to go to punk rock concerts with my son. We've seen My Chemical Romance four times.
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bad Religion
    Social D
    Leftover Crack
    The Distillers
    Rancid
    Dropkick
    Flogging Molly
    Ramones
    The Casualties

the list goes on and on...

and how about some psychobilly?
    Horrorpops and Tiger Army anyone?
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options

How about The Creepshow, Mad Marge and the Stonecutters, Nekromantix, Koffin Kats, Captain Clegg and the Night Creatures and Demented Are Go!
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I agree, Greenday was one hellova a show. Saw them with NFG, and Sugarcult in Texas back in '05. Wow, 8 years ago and still vividly remember that night...

I went to see that tour as well, my show was in Milwaukee :D NFG sounded pretty bad, though I think it was their equipment guys because everything was way distorted. Sugarcult sounded pretty great though. But yeah, Green Day take punk rock and put it in a stadium rock atmosphere, and the results are glorious.
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options

How about The Creepshow, Mad Marge and the Stonecutters, Nekromantix, Koffin Kats, Captain Clegg and the Night Creatures and Demented Are Go!

YES!!!
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have some serious love for rockabilly, especially Tiger Army. I love punk, post-punk, and some pop-punk!

I don't think anyone mentioned Hot Water Music, and they are incredible!

I also love Saves the Day, Gaslight Anthem, Descendants, Social D, Blink, most New Found Glory, and Teenage Bottlerocket ... just to name a few gems! :)
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Dead Kennedys
    Exploited
    Butt Trumpet
    Seven Year B*tch
    Crass
    Suicidal Tendencies
    AFI
    Circle Jerks
    Rancid
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I know ill get flamed, but to me PUnk is about people who cant play their instruments. I do appreciate the aggression and attitude, but its mostly image.

*throws up Metal Horns

*ducks for flying bottles