How do you get yourself to the gym

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I work out because I know my body won't change, and my I won't reach my fitness goals, by sitting on my butt.

Simple as that, really.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't have a membership right now, but when I did I felt like such a bad *kitten* every time I went that it seemed stupid not to go.
  • gescobedo81
    gescobedo81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At first its daunting. Once you start seeing results it get's interesting. Now it's an addiction..
  • jeanmoreno
    jeanmoreno Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    very true!

At first its daunting. Once you start seeing results it get's interesting. Now it's an addiction..
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I made 3 of my sessions just part of my normal schedule. Just like going to work or having a shower.

I don't think about it, it's just like "Oh it Thursday, I guess today I get up, go to work, go to the gym, and then go home"

Anything above those 3 gym sessions is choice.

Now that's it's just part of my schedule, I honestly don't think about it unless I'm sick or injured.
  • celtic0ne
    celtic0ne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Those are the days I put my workout in MFP before I go so I can see how it helps my day, and if I burn enough calories (and have them left over without using them all back up) I eat a little snack afterwards. I get excited to say okay if I go I can have a couple cookies or some chocolate pudding when I get home.

^^This!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    jog...

Set out my work out kit the night before.

Remind myself before bed how good i will feel when i set the last weight down and stretch when i am done.

Call a friend and ask them to keep me accountable and ask if I went.

Promise myself a reward for going (often a Dove dark chocolate square... 42 calories against 600 cals of work out. good trade!)

pose in the mirror afterwards and burn the picture in my brain!

Good luck!
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym so I can eat pretty much what I want. On days I dont' go to the gym, I ride my bike. Love my bike. I've been riding my bike for over a year. I joined the gym in Oct 2012. I love doing either one. It's part of my life now.
  • ellenkxxx
    ellenkxxx Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it too much. I just head there before I have a chance to make excuses!
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My house is my gym - my dog glares at me dolefully if I don't run/walk him and I feel guilty if I don't lift weights in between working at my computer because they're sitting on the floor next to me.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I take the bus. Or walk.
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    anyone got any tips for when you cant make going to the gym routine?

im a full time student and a shift worker........i never have the same hour free from week to week lol
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Recognize when you have free time (am I sitting down doing something important or just wasting time?) and then set yourself a routine at home if you can't physically make it to the gym. There are online workouts, or I just find a tabata timer and choose from some of the movements I usually do during my gym class.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I make it a priority and schedule it into my day/week/month. I have a schedule that I follow as to what workouts I'm going to be doing each day of the month and it helps keep me accountable to my goals. It is also helpful to know exactly what you will be doing once you get to the gym.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have been going for so long now that I am pretty much auto programmed to go ...if I skip a day I feel like crap..hell, I have a hard enough time on rest days doing nothing...

Once you make it a part of your lifestyle you will feel same way ..
  • sliverofjade
    Options
    Our gym is on the base where my husband works. I drive over about when he gets off, do our routine, then drive home together.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Mines in my house. It doesn't take a whole lot of willpower to make it from my bed to the other side of the house. When I did have a gym membership it was a lot easier to make excuses.
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i look at my pictures when i was 450+ lbs .. and that really make me wanna go :bigsmile:
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    I just go. It's become such a normal part of my routine that it feels weird if I don't go.
  • Cinbad3178
    Cinbad3178 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I normally work out at home, now, so as soon as i get home in the evening, i head right to the basement to begin.

When I feel like hitting the gym or going for a walk/jog outside of my home, i find it very helpful to always a have a bag ready in the trunk of my car so I don't have to stop at home after work to grab anything. Preparedness is my best friend when it comes to exercise. Good luck!