Sandwich fillings?

Options
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for protein rich sandwich fillings that aren't high in fat?
I'm getting bored of the same chicken/ham/turkey slices
If you have any ideas or tips please share as well.

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with high fat? 50% of my daily cals come from fat!
  • matticus616
    Options
    I always end up hitting my fat, so I was looking for something lighter
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lean beef or pork, fish, tofu.

edit: also eggs
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
  • Christygogo
    Christygogo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hummus, yum....
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions:
    Hummus and veggies
    hardboiled egg, an egg salad made with light mayo and mostly egg whiteshttp://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=108261
    Veggie Burgers
  • luftballoons33
    luftballoons33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've just learned to get creative with what I pair my turkey with. Lately I've been using Fiber One 80 calorie wraps with my turkey, and adding:
    - cream cheese, pickles, fat free mozzarella or
    - horseradish (or fat free mayo), avocado, tomato, fat free mozzarella or
    - horseradish (or fat free mayo), pickles, fat free mozzarella (or fat free cheddar slices)

Not too much variety here, but I've learned that there are lots of little changes you can make to mix up the taste. You could also add some peppers for some sweetness. Tomorrow I'm thinking of doing some mustard. Of course, I could be doing these on bread too, I'm just really into the wraps lately!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    be more creative with what you put on your meat. I LOVE Turkey with kale, sun dried tomatoes and capers with a Vinaigrette dressing. Yum!
  • delor44
    delor44 Posts: 71
    Options
    tuna mixed with onions, celery, light ranch and fresh spinich.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love hummus sandwiches.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    hummus, olive salad/paste, beans- I've made patties out of beans and quinoa- that was pretty tasty!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating a tuna with vegannaise (mayo sub)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    - Tear the fat off a couple of slices of proscuitto, throw an egg in there + a slice of reduced fat havarti; handful of cherry tomatoes on the side

- Egg salad made with greek yogurt
  • americangirlok
    Options
    - Tear the fat off a couple of slices of proscuitto, throw an egg in there + a slice of reduced fat havarti; handful of cherry tomatoes on the side

Ooh do you have a recipe for that? That sounds good!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Thanks!

- Boil a couple of eggs (I like em on the soft side)
    - Chop up some green onion
    - Stick em in a bowl, add a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt
    - Season with salt (&/or pepper); if you want to be fancy, shake a little paprika on top
    - Put all that in between 2 slices of delicious rye bread

If you're home & have access to a toaster, I think it's very much more delicious if you can lightly toast the bread, and the egg filling is eaten fresh @ room temp :)
  • americangirlok
    Options

Thanks!

- Boil a couple of eggs (I like em on the soft side)
    - Chop up some green onion
    - Stick em in a bowl, add a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt
    - Season with salt (&/or pepper); if you want to be fancy, shake a little paprika on top
    - Put all that in between 2 slices of delicious rye bread

If you're home & have access to a toaster, I think it's very much more delicious if you can lightly toast the bread, and the egg filling is eaten fresh @ room temp :)

Thanks!
  • SirZubair
    Options
    In all honesty, i've cut back on sandwiches bigtime.

Bread makes me feels lazy and sucks all the energy out of me.

Ever since i cut bread out of my diet i've been 'on top of the world', full of energy.

Love it!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. Mix it up, add a bit of cheese or peppers, salsa?
    I just had a chili lime chicken burger (Trader Joe's) with an egg white omelet on top. It had chipotle peppers, adobe sauce, and black beans in it. So yummy. Would have been great on bread, but I didn't have any. Still good.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with avocado instead of mayo and put it in lettuce or a tortilla.

I also make egg salad with avocado, tomato, peppers, lettuce, red onion, garlic and put it in a tortilla or on an organic brown rice cake.

Cook a whole chicken and slice it up and use that.. oh you can put pineapple mango salsa on that. (just cut up those two fruits add avocado, cilantro and pepper.. mmmmm)

Corned beef, sauerkraut, thousand island dressing rye bread.. mmmmmmmm (not really low cal though lol)

baked or pan or oil less friend eggplant with mozzarella, tomato, lettuce onion and peppers. or sauce in a pita or tortilla.

Peanut butter and banana on a rice cake or between the bread or by itself..

these may not all be high protein.. but they are yummy!!
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My fave sandwich lately has been avocado, sprouts, tomato slices and a smear of cream cheese (usually chive + onion flavor) or sometimes a good goat cheese with herbs. The cheese really makes it delish so don't buy something plain.