Running advice Please!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. That is a big jump. Well you can probably cross the finish line but you don't want the experience to miserable. Slow and steady is going to be key.

You need to increase your mileage slowly so you don't get injury. One run a week should be a long slow distance run (LSD). This is where you increase your mileage. The other runs can be regular runs. If the course is hilly do some hilly training.

Would you consider swtiching to a 10k? I think that is more reasonable goal.

This is what I was thinking too. 5K to 1/2 marathon is HUGE and that's not a long time. Not saying you couldn't do it, but I would say try an 8K or 10K and go for a 1/2 this Fall
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not Sunday May 5, 2013?
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can do it, but you'll probably be walking a lot of it and risk injury. Why not work up to it and try a 10K first? My longest run in one time was 7.4 miles in 1.5 hours and my feet were killing me and I run on average 2-3 days a week. Running 13.1 miles is rough on your body especially if you're not used to it. I run 5Ks right now, going to work my way up to a 10K and maybe eventually a half.
  • Shenanagins85
    Shenanagins85 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I very much appreciate all of your advice and input.

Even though, everything said may not have been what I wanted to hear. Its the truth, and great support and extra motivation to hear about your adventures. I will look into 10Ks for the summer and hopefully by the fall I will be able to run a half. I know, there is no way I could a 6 or 7mi straight threw by this Saturday. But I will keep on chucking!

I will absolutely be looking into Zooma in September, and try to get a run in everyday even if its a short 1.5mi run.

Thank you everyone again! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have done over at least 4 5ks, my first one took me almost an hour and a half, the last one I did in November took me 50 mins. I felt like that was a good improvement (there was about a month in between my first and last one)

Personally, I'd keep on looking to improve on the 5K before I moved on...and then step it up to a 10K.
  • luftballoons33
    luftballoons33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I trained for my first half marathon, I was just starting to feel comfortable running 3-4 miles. I trained for 12 weeks (Hal Higdon's Novice 1), and finished in 2:00:54. I'd say it's probably doable, if you're super committed!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    bump!