How did you stop caffeine?

Options

Replies

• Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I stopped caffeine cold turkey. I did get terrible headaches for a few days. It's been about 7-8 months now. I don't miss it. Good Luck!:smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Just stop cold turkey...

I have , in the past... I went back, though. I don't really care, coffee helps supress my appetite.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Here is 2 pages of people who experienced various levels of discomfort by trying to quit caffeine with little or no firm grasp on how. Tracking may have been helpful.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I haven't O.O
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I quit when I got pregnant years ago. I diluted my coffees to about half strength so that I had enough caffeine to stave off the headaches but not too much caffeine and it took about a week for me to quit completely. If you drink sodas and just want to cut the caffeine, you can switch to caffeine free versions of some.

I am currently self medicating (my ADHD) with caffeine until I get back into see my doc and get my prescription renewed so my coffee intake is higher than normal. Today I've had 3 double espressos and 2-16oz. cups of coffee. You couldn't pay me to quit drinking it now. I make all my own coffees so they really don't cost any more than a few pennies a day...
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I am going to get shot for saying this, but the 100% honest truth is I did the Master Cleanse for two weeks in 2012 and haven't touched diet soda, Redbull or tea since. I have no desire, found I don't need it for energy like I thought I did and this experience was a surprise conclusion.

Like an alcoholic to booze, I don't dare even try it again for fear my addiction for caffeine will come right back. I'm fine without it.

I also discovered that wheat grass juice gives you a boost better than caffeine. It's known for its energy boosting. I swear it works BETTER. I can't drink it at night or I can't sleep. Makes you clean the house really fast though, lol.
  • BobbyJo28
    BobbyJo28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me I switched to Herbalife NRG tea W/Liftoff. It's better for you and has natural Guarana in it. I never new the difference. Anyways once you've been a few days with out it your body will adjust to not having it.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For me I switched to Herbalife NRG tea W/Liftoff. It's better for you and has natural Guarana in it. I never new the difference. Anyways once you've been a few days with out it your body will adjust to not having it.

You do realize that Guarana has twice the concentration of caffeine as coffee beans, right? Both are natural sources of caffeine. When I was younger we lived in Brazil for a while and my favorite soda was called Guarana, it has as much caffeine per serving as coffee.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    no advice as I dont think I will stop drinking coffee but good luck
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    *clutches my cup of coffee close to me* Why would you want to give it up?! Noooooo:cry:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    i down a cup or two 30 minutes before my lifting days at the gym...It might all be in my head but I feel better, like I can lift more weight when I do drink coffee beforehand...then I have two cups on my way to work and two cups at lunch...YEAHHHHHHH
  • RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try cutting down slowly rather than going cold turkey. Maybe try tea or herbal teas at first, or decaf or coffee imitations like 'echo'?
    I read that an apple is apparently as effective as waking you up in the morning as coffee.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I gave it up unintenionally cold turkey about 25 years ago. Yes I had the headache from hell for a week. After realizing the headaches were from lack of caffiene I never went back to it. I was drinking up to 6 cans of diet coke a day. Yikes!
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've never stopped drinking coffee....or tea. I have never like soda, EVER! Rarely drink alcohol but coffee I could wax poetically about forever.

But, I don't drink coffee drinks because that would be a waste of calories and money.:wink:
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    pineapples.

im not kidding!

I used to drink 2 cups/day and instead i started eating lots of pineapples in the morning (they seriously give you a crazy boost of energy and wake u up.)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I was once told an apple will give you just as much energy as a cup of coffee...you could replace an apple in the morning for your coffee. More calories (if you are just drinking black coffee, anyway) but might help you out on those days you are really needing coffee.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Never have. Never will. Having evening coffee right now. Seriously, if you are so inclined then try drinking more water.
  • 777seven777
    Options
    Bloomin' madness giving up coffee or caffeine!!!

I would go MAD!!

Seriously I gave up all diet fizzy drinks (except water lol) and now drink a couple of cups of coffee a day (used to have 8/9) and replaced them with green tea :)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    This is something I could not do. Even if it wasn't for working graveyards.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    How did I stop?

I didn't.

I get my caffeine from very low calorie sources, i.e. tea, black, no sugar. Earl Grey or English breakfast are my favourites. And decaffeinated for after 7pm to help prevent insomnia.