Question for Women who lift weights

Options
I have been lifting heavy weights using the Stronglifts 5x5 program since January 1st. Prior to that I was using the machines at the gym for about a year on and off. I have lost about 9lbs and inches. My body fat has gone from 35% to 33%. I know I'm making progress and I'm definitely seeing changes in my body that I never saw when I had lost weight through diet and cardio previously. I'm not discouraged and am happy with my progress.

When did you begin to see scale losses? If you are at your goal is your weight significantly higher but your body smaller? The reason I ask is that I am 5'0 and 149 lbs. I am still 33% body fat and think my goal weight is around 125 lbs. My weight just seems to be going down at a snails pace at this point. Does it pick up at any point? I still have quite a bit of fat to lose. I'm not even losing a pound a week and was hoping I would be at goal by the summer but that doesn't seem realistic based on my current progress.

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I started new rules last October, I weighed about 135, I seem to fluctuate between 137-140 now. I had wanted to get down to 130, but agree it seems like it just isn't happening. I am a bit smaller, definitely feel and look better, but even my measurements and BF% from online calculators are pretty similar to starting. I'm 5'7 33yo btw. I have come to accept the fact that I really need to stop judging my progress by the scale.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i got down to 117 lbs a few years ago and still hated my body, skinny fat and flabby..until i started lifting..really lifting. i bulked up to about 130 lbs and my body never looked better...its not always about weight..
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    OMG! im 5" TALL WEIGH 139! i started at 133 started lifting heavy gained muscle-but lost inches- im a size 3, scale isnt moving much i fluctuate-- but im not worried at all about the scale, i love tthe measurments better. My goal weight was 125. You should freind request me! I think were twins lol
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    OMG! im 5" TALL WEIGH 139! i started at 133 started lifting heavy gained muscle-but lost inches- im a size 3, scale isnt moving much i fluctuate-- but im not worried at all about the scale, i love tthe measurments better. You should frien request jme! I think were twins lol

Friend request sent! It is reassuring to see that you are in a size 3 at 139lbs.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great thread as I'm curious about others experiences as well.
  • hsnider29
    Options

Hey I know you, lol.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    I started new rules last October, I weighed about 135, I seem to fluctuate between 137-140 now. I had wanted to get down to 130, but agree it seems like it just isn't happening. I am a bit smaller, definitely feel and look better, but even my measurements and BF% from online calculators are pretty similar to starting. I'm 5'7 33yo btw. I have come to accept the fact that I really need to stop judging my progress by the scale.

I did see a post on here not too long ago about a woman that neither lost scale weight or inches but she had a before and after photo and she looked at least 10lbs lighter.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hope others can chime in to help you as I'm not sure I can offer much. I wasn't new to lifting when I joined MFP last year as I had lifted for 15 years just took a 2 yr hiatus when trying to get pregnant. However, my lifting greatly increased since June when I hit maintenance and started eating at my TDEE. I will say I'm the exact same scale weight I was in June but my body fat is down and my clothing size is down from then. Have patience and know you are doing great and the results will come. Do not concentrate on a scale number, it doesn't matter and will not matter in the end.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    Hope others can chime in to help you as I'm not sure I can offer much. I wasn't new to lifting when I joined MFP last year as I had lifted for 15 years just took a 2 yr hiatus when trying to get pregnant. However, my lifting greatly increased since June when I hit maintenance and started eating at my TDEE. I will say I'm the exact same scale weight I was in June but my body fat is down and my clothing size is down from then. Have patience and know you are doing great and the results will come.

Thank you!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't budged. Like not at all. But I did go down a size since I started lifting. I try to ignore the scale but it's hard sometimes. I really do wanna get at least down into a 'normal' weight range (my BMI is actually still closer to obese than it is to normal). And I know people say BMI is crap, and for athletes and people with a lot of muscle, that's probably true, but I think it's a pretty decent guideline for the average person.

Here's the difference 6 months made. I'm sure it would have been more significant if I could get my eating habits sorted.

progress1.jpg
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't budged. Like not at all. But I did go down a size since I started lifting. I try to ignore the scale but it's hard sometimes. I really do wanna get at least down into a 'normal' weight range (my BMI is actually still closer to obese than it is to normal). And I know people say BMI is crap, and for athletes and people with a lot of muscle, that's probably true, but I think it's a pretty decent guideline for the average person.

Here's the difference 6 months made. I'm sure it would have been more significant if I could get my eating habits sorted.

progress1.jpg

love the pics, good progress
  • hsnider29
    Options

progress1.jpg

I can see a huge difference in your photos though!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 90% about the deficit, unfortunately.

I lost the first 40 pounds by doing mostly cardio 4 to 5 days a week. I had little shape or definition, so I looked like a smaller version of myself. Dieting was definitely what caused most of the weight loss. I was losing about 1.5 pounds / week consistently for several months.

I started to lift weights a couple months ago, around 110 pounds and 20% body fat. I am now hanging around 105 pounds and 16% body fat (according to the scale, but I look more like 20% in real life). I don't mind that the scale isn't budging, as I am eating way more and seeing more definition than I ever did before the weights.
  • hsnider29
    Options
    Losing weight is 90% about the deficit, unfortunately.

I lost the first 40 pounds by doing mostly cardio 4 to 5 days a week. I had little shape or definition, so I looked like a smaller version of myself. Dieting was definitely what caused most of the weight loss. I was losing about 1.5 pounds / week consistently for several months.

I started to lift weights a couple months ago, around 110 pounds and 20% body fat. I am now hanging around 105 pounds and 16% body fat (according to the scale, but I look more like 20% in real life). I don't mind that the scale isn't budging, as I am eating way more and seeing more definition than I ever did before the weights.

I agree. I am eating TDEE-20%. So there is a deficit in there.
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Hey I know you, lol.

You do indeed! I'm surprised you haven't seen any of my rants about the scale going ^^^^ over the last few months! I'm eating at a deficit, working out 6 days/week, SL every other day and no movement although I will say that my body is most definitely changing.....just very very slow! I'm very interested to see what others experiences have been!
  • oceangirl37
    oceangirl37 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in December (or right around there) I've lost 28 lbs total (sloooooow going) but the scale has stopped moving the last 2 months. However, I'm down to a size 10 (from 14) and I've looked like I lost more. I feel better than ever, and I like the way my body looks. I do want to lose more though. I'm 177 lbs now and I'd like to get down to 170 (wouldn't go lower than 165) I've recently added jogging back in, and still eat at a deficit.
  • hsnider29
    Options

Hey I know you, lol.

You do indeed! I'm surprised you haven't seen any of my rants about the scale going ^^^^ over the last few months! I'm eating at a deficit, working out 6 days/week, SL every other day and no movement although I will say that my body is most definitely changing.....just very very slow! I'm very interested to see what others experiences have been!

I have seen your posts. I know I'm making progress but it just seems terribly slow so it makes me doubt myself at times. I don't know why the scale holds so much power over women.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started lifting just over a year ago. I hit a 3 month plateau in the summer with about 10 lbs to go. I dropped a dress size during that period but little weight. I was eating at a deficit, aiming for 0.5 lb loss per week. Come the Autumn, my weight loss started moving again despite not changing anything in my daily routine. I eventually hit goal at the start of November.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump for later