Should I cut the fruit?

Options
I'm confused about whether or not I should cut back on fruit. Back when I tried Weight Watchers, fruit was considered a "free" food because their philosophy was that no one ever got fat eating fruit, plus it's got the dietary fiber etc to keep you healthy. MFP gives me 33 grams of sugar per day, so if I throw a small banana in my morning smoothie, have an apple midmorning and a pear in the afternoon, I've already gone over my allotment. But cutting back on fruit just to save sugars seems dumb. Any advice?

Replies

• chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is don't track sugars unless you have a medical reason to do so. Just watch for processed sugars and don't worry about natural sugars in whole fruits.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    My nutritionist has me on 2 servings of fruits per day. Mostly berries(1 cup), but can have apples, pears, oranges(one half is considered a serving). It's due to the sugar even thorough it's natural. I'm following more of a paleo diet. It has been working for me. Everyone is different though you need to see what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you! Some fruit has more sugar than others, but unless you are diabetic or insulin resistant, you don't have to be too strict about it. If you still aren't comfortable, Google "low-glycemic fruits". You can find a list of fruit that is lower in sugar.

I have to limit my carbs for medical reasons, so I do watch my portions. Grapes, bananas, and oranges are kind of high, so I try to limit those and eat berries instead.

Still, when it comes down to it, if you have to decide between fructose and glucose, go with the fructose. :)
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I recently ran into the same problem. I always felt super guilty seeing I had gone way over in sugar for the day, even though it was all natural and from fruit. So to minimize the pressure I felt to stay under the recommended sugar intake, I just altered my food diary settings, by replacing the sugar tab with a potassium one instead. It definitely helps to make me feel a lot better at the end of the day because I don't exceed in any other categories. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, because as long as all of the sugar you are eating isn't coming from processed foods or junk, you don't have anything to worry about!
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Fruit good. Vegetable good. MFP wrong. Eat fruit.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    My suggestion is don't track sugars unless you have a medical reason to do so. Just watch for processed sugars and don't worry about natural sugars in whole fruits.

yup
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

QFT

Would only cut fruit out if there was a medical reason.
  • goodgirlguns
    Options
    Fruit is perfect in every way. MFP is just trying to scare it away haha
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I use to think the same thing, but it's a good sugar
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the sugar... especially fructose...I would not worry about it unless you have a medical need to cut back sugars or have a real problem with lethargy. Fruit is definitely better than processed sugars.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    3 servings of fruit a day is not too much.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Into thin slices, then top with yoghurt and honey. Bada-bing.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^ ha!
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I recently ran into the same problem. I always felt super guilty seeing I had gone way over in sugar for the day, even though it was all natural and from fruit. So to minimize the pressure I felt to stay under the recommended sugar intake, I just altered my food diary settings, by replacing the sugar tab with a potassium one instead. It definitely helps to make me feel a lot better at the end of the day because I don't exceed in any other categories. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, because as long as all of the sugar you are eating isn't coming from processed foods or junk, you don't have anything to worry about!
    Excellent idea, thank you!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough fruit.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Australian dietary guidelines advise two servings of fruit and five of vegetables a day.

Just think of all that yummy fibre!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options

This.

Eat whole foods and unless you have specific reason why you have to lower sugars ir you're downing six bananas a day, you shouldl be fine. The fiber and other nutrients in many fruits help keep blood sugar levels steady--that's what you want.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    MFP sucks the proverbial butt with this one. I track it simply to see what foods I eat that do have sugars in, with the exception of fruit.

Ultimately, don't beat yourself up over your fructose intake. Our body NEEDS sugars, in particular our brain, so forget MFP.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    I do worry about fructose, but not the fructose I get from a piece of fruit. I worry about the fructose that comes in the form of sucrose (table sugar which is one molecule of fructose and one molecule of glucose) and high fructose corn syrup. See the information from Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at

http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Please don't, you receive vitamins and minerals from fruit.

If someone told me that I should cut fruit out of my life I would hit them.