Tongue Ring - Help Me Please!

Options
2»

Replies

• _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I have no experience w/tongue piercings, but I do with teaching. When I taught, I was never free to be myself. I had a belly button ring and my shirt lifted once and I got in trouble. I had to be very careful. We were told we couldn't drink beer in public or in bars in the same country we taught. We were advised to not be on dating sites and if we were, we shouldn't show our faces or needed to be careful what we typed, bc it could cost us our jobs. A co-worker got into trouble for dying her hair different colors nearly every week. It wasn't rad colors like pink, red or blue. It was blonde, brunette or red and back again nearly every week. Normal hair, but change wasn't appropriate they said. She fought them on it and got fired.

I quit teaching because I have a bit of a free spirit about me and while I understand being a certain way at work, being told who to be outside of work was too much. I have one shot at life and if i want to drink in bars, etc in my free time, that should be my business. They own me at school, but they shouldn't own me 24/7 for the majority of my life.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to have a boyfriend with a pierced tongue.. it was awful when kissing, having a hard ball hitting my teeth, and there was nothing worse than him wanting to put it back in when it fell out while he was drunk. Personally can't see the appeal.
  • kstravers
    Options
    Honestly...

Coming from a fellow educator... I wouldn't do it. It's not even a matter of being able to hide it from other adults/co-workers or your administrative staff. Our job as teachers is to set a positive example for all of our kids, and though it may not seem like it, they look to us as a guidepost for EVERYTHING! Whether you are planning on going into elementary or secondary education, kids are much more perceptive than we like to give them credit for, and it would be hard for one of them not to eventually catch a glimpse and bring it up (either in class or with other classmates :/ ). I think they are actually pretty cool and I have a few friends who love theirs, but I'm not sure it's the most appropriate for an adult educator. Being a teacher puts you in a position of power to serve as primary influence students encounter outside their homes--just keep that in mind. :)
  • CJD85
    CJD85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to have a boyfriend with a pierced tongue.. it was awful when kissing, having a hard ball hitting my teeth, and there was nothing worse than him wanting to put it back in when it fell out while he was drunk. Personally can't see the appeal.
    He must've been a really bad kisser....

I have one and I went for my dental check up recently..... The technician said my teeth were amazing. I wear acrylic ones which is better than metal. It hurts when u get it done..... You can't eat regular food for a while so its soups and icey drinks.
    At the end of the day it's your D. Like with anything there are horror stories which are very rare. It doesn't make you less of the person you are and don't let people tell you otherwise.... It's like tattoos..... Just because I have them doesn't mean I'm a bad person or I'm jobless.....
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    He must've been a really bad kisser....

I think he thought it was hot.. VERY WRONG
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    go get one/
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    the retainers are $3 on amazon. I have a friend working for a job corp, state run, and they can't have any piercings visible, she has her nose done, has a clear, flat retainer and it even tricked me, and I have my nose done too! LOL.
  • Dolly1209
    Dolly1209 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had two tongue piercings until recently ( nasty infection caused me to have to remove them) they do not do the enamel on your teeth any favours at all!!! That said if you use A retainer bar you should be ok although I have been told they tend to fall out :/