Why does it seem that everyone on mfp craves sweets?

Options
I have been pursuing through open diaries for fun and ideas on what to cook at home.

I have a serious question, why does it seem that everyone on this site craves sweets? They constantly eat things like desert protein bars or lite deserts. I don't really understand it. If you have such a large craving for sugary things wouldn't it be better to occasionally have the real thing than constantly having a pseudo sweet that is extremely processed? Just curious.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    They crave sweets cause they're sugar addicted.

In some cases it's better to have the real thing as the sugar replacements in 'lite' diet' or 'zero' sugar foods aren't good either.

Everything in moderation.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I allow myself some sweets sometimes, i dont think it hurts. I do calorie count but I also watch the fat content of things I eat and I try to choose candies that have 0 fat g. Im a huge sugar junkie. I don't deny it or try to change it lol just like the last person said, everything in moderation. A small amount of what I crave is better than binging.
  • Murnique
    Murnique Posts: 9
    Options
    I cant say no to chocolate ever! it's my weakness but I'm here to gain weight not lose weight so I pack em in.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in their Macros, it does not matter what they are eatting or craving. and it is human nature to crave what you have given up, hence I refuse to give up anything I want. I just make room for it. There are people on here that have lost several hundred pounds eatting ice cream and pop tarts almost everyday. Best of luck to you.
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    I sometimes eat sugary snacks like coconut covered dates or almond milk ice cream too. I understand, though, that I'll need to jog an extra 15 minutes to make up for it. Like you said, cheat foods aren't bad if you eat them in moderation. Moderation.
  • PeachPuff81
    Options
    For me, having any little bit of "real" sugar will send me off on a serious binge, so when I really want something sweet, I will substitute with stevia or something. I heard that one is not as bad as some of the others (like Splenda). It doesn't taste as good as real sugar, so that stops me from overdoing it.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could be your body making you crave things higher in calorie content to make up for the calorie deficit as it does like to protect itself and maintain some sort of balance :)
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that you care what everyone craves? Nothing wrong with looking through people's diaries for inspiration but no need to get on a high horse about their choices ... Lite or low cal desserts fit into a diary when the real thing might not, yet it helps to stick within the daily allowance and if that means someone is happy and motivated to carry on to eventually get to maintenance point where the real thing might fit in again, so what? Not saying sweeteners are great, but like the other poster said, everything in moderation, so let people make their decision on what's right for them.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't crave them, I eat them! (wthin reason of course, or at least attempted reason lol) NOM!
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's not like the 'lite' options are terrible either :P I find that usually the texture is differen but the general taste is still very similar.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If it fits my macros I will eat it. I focus primarily on providing my body with the nutrition that I need, and try to get this mainly from clean foods, i.e. fresh or frozen meat, fish, seafood, fruits, vegetables and homecooked foods made from these. I make sure I get enough protein, healthy fat, carbohydrate to fuel my workouts and keep my energy levels up, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water. When I've done that, I generally have calories left over for whatever I want to eat. Sometimes that's a big pile of nuts and berries. Other times it's chocolate. Sometimes it's both (dark chocolate and berries is a to die for combination!!) - You could just as easily decide that I'm addicted to nuts and berries as I am to chocolate. It's only because of the emotive values people put on food that one is classed as an "addiction" the other a "healthy snack".

Deprivation does not work for me AT ALL. As soon as I put anything in the "forbidden fruit" category, i.e. something I'm not allowed to eat, then I want to eat it. I broke my "addiction" to forbidden fruit foods by declassifying them as forbidden fruits and putting them in the "I can eat it if it fits my macros" category, which incidentally contains all foods. So there you go, that's why I don't deprive myself of chocolate. When it's in the "I can eat it if it fits my macros" category, I eat it in small doses and it fits my macros. If I were to put it back in the "forbidden fruit" category, then I'll want to eat an entire family sized bar of it in a single day.

There are also other things like mayonnaise and barbeque sauce that I eat foods with, or put in my homecooked foods, that some people will not approve of. Again, so long as I'm feeding my body the nutrition that it needs, and keep it all within my macros, these foods will not interfere with weight loss or damage your health.

The short answer to why people still eat these foods.... it's because actually you can eat them as part of a healthy diet with good portion control, and still lose weight and be healthy.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its not sweets or salt for me, ITS BOOZE!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    also, as to why lite/low calorie versions... well you can fit more of them into your macros

for example I use low fat mayonnaise. This is because I want 20-25g of mayonnaise with my tuna. The full fat version, 25g of mayonnaise has crazy high fat and calories. The lower fat version, well it's still quite high in fat and calories,but significantly lower than the full fat, and given that I can't taste the difference, it makes sense to use the lower fat version and save my fat calories allowance for a more healthy kind of fat.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have been pursuing through open diaries for fun and ideas on what to cook at home.

I have a serious question, why does it seem that everyone on this site craves sweets? They constantly eat things like desert protein bars or lite deserts. I don't really understand it. If you have such a large craving for sugary things wouldn't it be better to occasionally have the real thing than constantly having a pseudo sweet that is extremely processed? Just curious.

I don't see what is wrong with ANY type of food if people are losing weight successfully by eating it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    we all have different cravings, and we prioritize based on what we love. I for one am not a big fan of artificial sweeteners (also eeew to fat free dairy), if i want something sweet, i set aside calories for the real deal. Some people would rather save those calories for something else, say, adding cheese to a savory dish.

oh wait, what's that in your diary? some SNACK WELLS Devil's food cake cookies? pot, meet kettle.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    As long as it fits in their Macros, it does not matter what they are eatting or craving. and it is human nature to crave what you have given up, hence I refuse to give up anything I want. I just make room for it. There are people on here that have lost several hundred pounds eatting ice cream and pop tarts almost everyday. Best of luck to you.

Exactly ^^^^ I have a bar of chocolate just about every night and a dessert at the sunday diner - I fit it into my macros
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You're on a diet site. how do you think we got to be 20/50/100lbs overweight?
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Why not ask yourself? You seem to have these things pretty often too... why do you crave sweets?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    They crave sweets cause they're sugar addicted.

Yep! And the only way to stop it? Stop giving in to the cravings!

The attitude that we must NEVER deny ourself something otherwise we will just binge on it is a lazy and undisciplined attitude.

Eating sugar from time to time as a treat isn't going to kill you - but being addicted to it is not a good place to be in.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I don't crave them, I eat them! (wthin reason of course, or at least attempted reason lol) NOM!

This.

They taste good. If they fit my macros I eat 'em.