Strength Training?

terraskye
terraskye Posts: 370 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
The fitness center in my apartment bldg has free weight, a bench press and a basic nautilus circuit system but I'm at a loss at how/what/how often I should use it and what the heck are reps too? I can take and post a photo of what it looks like so you can see what exactly the stations(?) are...

I really want to start using it as I hear that for better weight loss I should combine my cardio with strength but I really need a Dummies version or explanation:)

TIA
Fiona

Replies

• Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Good for you! Most apartment fitness centers do not have that much equipment. Strength training is definitely a good way to speed up your metabolism and weight loss. Also gaining muscle and toning. If I were you, I would do a search on exercises with the equipment you described. There are some good sites with demonstrations for correct form and the recommended reps/sets.
    I would start light, if you are new to weight training. Like 2 sets of 8 reps - using heavier weight for the first set. Concentrate on weighted squats (targets the thighs, hips, and butt), bicep curls, and tricep extensions!

Hope this helps!

(BTW, I teach a weight training class called BodyPump twice a week :bigsmile: )
  • terraskye
    Good for you! Most apartment fitness centers do not have that much equipment. Strength training is definitely a good way to speed up your metabolism and weight loss. Also gaining muscle and toning. If I were you, I would do a search on exercises with the equipment you described. There are some good sites with demonstrations for correct form and the recommended reps/sets.
    I would start light, if you are new to weight training. Like 2 sets of 8 reps - using heavier weight for the first set. Concentrate on weighted squats (targets the thighs, hips, and butt), bicep curls, and tricep extensions!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply:)

When you say 2 sets of 8 reps I'm not sure what you mean though...would I say be doing one station for 16 reps or going around the circuit twice with 8 reps at each station? I feel like I should have paid more attention in gym class.lol

Thanks again
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member

Hope this helps!

When you say 2 sets of 8 reps I'm not sure what you mean though...would I say be doing one station for 16 reps or going around the circuit twice with 8 reps at each station? I feel like I should have paid more attention in gym class.lol

Thanks again
    2 sets of 8 reps means doing 8 of whatever exercise, two times. The number of sets is how many times you repeat that exercise and the number of reps is how many times you perform that exercise each time you perform it. Hope that helps!
  • terraskye

Hope this helps!

Thanks again
    2 sets of 8 reps means doing 8 of whatever exercise, two times. The number of sets is how many times you repeat that exercise and the number of reps is how many times you perform that exercise each time you perform it. Hope that helps!

I think I got it:) Thanks!!! I'm going to try it tomorrow morning..
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    A rep is doing a specific exercise 1 time and a set is a group of reps. So for example if you were going to do 2 sets of 8 reps of say bicep curls, you would do 8 bicep curls one after the other (that is the first set) then you would rest for 1 minute then do 8 bicep curls one after the other (that would be the second set). Then you would go on to the next exercise.

Oops someone else got there while i was typing!
  • terraskye
    A rep is doing a specific exercise 1 time and a set is a group of reps. So for example if you were going to do 2 sets of 8 reps of say bicep curls, you would do 8 bicep curls one after the other (that is the first set) then you would rest for 1 minute then do 8 bicep curls one after the other (that would be the second set). Then you would go on to the next exercise.

Oops someone else got there while i was typing!

LIGHTBULB!!! Thank you!!! that made complete sense
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump
This discussion has been closed.