How to Get Energy??

Options
Well after several affairs, I decided to leave my husband. At first, I was really angry which really helped with energy for workouts! But now I'm in a depressed, just wanna sleep and cry all day stage. I have no energy. So my question is... how can I get some energy for workouts again?? Thanks for any tips.

Replies

• Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    First, I am so sorry that happened!

Second, a lot of people use B12. I personally just started taking a multi vitamin and iron that has helped me a lot with energy.

Hope things get better for you! :flowerforyou:
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Unless you're having a medical or mental issue that requires some medication for balancing out and that's keeping you down more than "normal", I hate to say it but usually you have to just get up and move. When I go to the gym I always am like I'm only committing to 20 minutes on this elliptical and if I want to go more after that I will. I more often than not do my 45 minutes. When doing something new or not our norm we are going to have to force it until it becomes routine and then habit. You may not feel like doing the exercise but you WILL feel better after you've accomplished it.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure getting over your depression would help first. I'm not sure if you can afford therapy, but I was on a focus medicine for ADD that helped with focus and depression when I was fresh out of high school. I'm older now and tend to just "deal with things." Getting hoped up on B complex vitamins I've found isn't the best source of energy. You can take melatonin to help with sleep, but it's not good to use as a crutch. Your body won't produce as much melatonin naturally if you keep stimulating production through supplements. (There are supplements that are over the counter that help with focus that you could try, but I would talk to a doctor first.)

I would really suggest therapy unless your gym becomes your therapy. If you feel like you have pent up aggression resistance training or something like boxing might be good. If you just want to zone out I'd start with just getting to the gym for some cardio and after that 20 minute mark hopefully you'll feel better. It's just those first 15 minutes that feel like ****. If you want a pre-workout that will turn you into the Hulk I will say C4 Cellular especially Watermelon is ridiculous. I try to not use pre-workouts, but an ice coffee with some protein powder is my ghetto version when it gets warm.

Do you listen to music when you work out? Find music that has a certain beats per minute that works with how you feel. I've noticed I can listen to about anything while doing cardio, but electronic, dance, metal, is what I need for lifting.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sorry for what you've been through. You clearly need time to grieve but it will get better over time.

In the meantime just make sure you're getting a decent amount of nutritious food (if you're low your appetite might be low so try aim for calorie and nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, bananas, etc).

Exercise gently until you feel ready for more, at which time go kill those workouts and make yourself the best you you've ever been.

The best revenge is moving on with your life and finding happiness again.
  • aimeelouise79
    aimeelouise79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I am sorry for what you have suffered, anyone would be struggling had they been through the same.

Over time, grief and negative thought patterns in the brain create chemical imbalances which do suppress motivation, energy, drive etc (there's a lot of evidence that it's an evolutionary 'go back to the cave and hide until things get better' sort of response, it's shared with many non-human animals too). For some people that can lead to depression. If you are a person who suffers with mental health issues more generally then now is probably the time to have a chat with your doctor. If not, maybe you can fight this the natural way.

As someone else said, therapy is great. I found yoga to be really helpful too, it makes you feel centered and strong and at peace with yourself and your body. Eat right and get enough sleep. Other than that, the best piece of advice I could give you be 'you've got to fake it to make it!'

I know how hard it is, I struggle with depression myself, but if you go about your life the way you would LIKE it to be, exercising, smiling, eating right etc (even if your body is SCREAMING and you hate every second of it to begin with) eventually those little chemical imbalances will begin to balance out and your brain will catch up with you. If you act happy for long enough, eventually you will become happy.

Love and prayers to you for success in your journey, and please feel free to add if you would like support on the way :)
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    get up and move on, simple.

Been there done that, we all have problems and concerns, take care of yourself and don't make excuses.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Red bull total zero. 0 calories, 280% vitamin b6, 250% vitamin b12, niacin, riboflavin, ect. Good stuff :p

Look for apps on your phone that either challenge or entertain you at the gym like a c25k program or zombie run. It becomes addicting.
  • brittanysmith513
    brittanysmith513 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I have been barely eating lately so that probably doesn't help. The boxing is a great idea. Before all of this happened, I meditated and did yoga all the time and have since stopped so I'm going to try to pick that up again. I've been working out for like 10 minutes/2x a week and that seems to wipe me out energy wise so I'm also going to try some of those B12 vitamins. Thanks again everyone :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    onward bound for you,,, time for a fresh new start, you can do it!
  • brittanysmith513
    Options
    onward bound for you,,, time for a fresh new start, you can do it!

Thanks; I'm sure trying! He said that he's going to have a 6 pack by next year and I'm totally going to have abs first and a hotter body than him!! lol. I know he lacks motivation and committment (zing! lol) so we shall see who is hotter first. Game on! haha :)
  • emmalouisebull
    Options
    Nutrition! - Get the right amount of the right type of calories. A great diet and exercise can do wonders for your mental health and increase your energy ten fold!!!!
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Yes you definitely need to fuel your body to have the energy. Vitamin D actually can help with energy too and at Costco/Sam's club you can get a 2 year supply of the 2,000 mg unit pills for like 8 dollars. I had a VERY low vit d and got on some 50k units to boost then went to the 2k and I've felt a lot better.

Also, if you're doing it 10min 2x a week, maybe try adding another day but still at 10 min. Or stay at 2 days but go to 15 min. Each time just try and do a little bit more. I read a post on here from a guy who started at 400lbs and all he could do was walk for 5 min at a time. Then he walked for 8. Then he'd walk for 8, rest for a couple min and do another 2-3 minutes. Now he's lost like 100lbs and walks for an hour and a half.

We don't deteriorate overnight, therefore we can't expect to heal overnight either. Keep faking it till you make it as someone else said and you will heal and be on your way to where you want to get.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Have some casual sex.

That always inspires me.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    When I first separated from my ex husband, I was told by a counselor that there are 3 essential things to help with the stress; eat healthy, sleep and exercise. Even juts going for a walk does wonders for your mental state. It is very hard to deal with it all at first so you need to be very kind to yourself. Start by eating only healthy food and taking a good multivitamin. Drink lots of water. Aim to go for a 30 minute walk the first day. Not too challenging, but enough to get you moving. Each day eat a little more and move a little more.

The process of grieving a relationship works differently for many people. One day, you will wake up and realize that you are no longer concerned with his lying or cheating because it does not affect you. You will be out somewhere and you will automatically start to do something for him that you used to do. In my case I saw dress shirts on sale and my ex-husband always loved lots of new clothes ( to a point where I never had any). I went to pick out a couple of shirts for him and stopped.I realized that I could buy for me instead because he wasn't my concern. It was so liberating.

Take baby steps towards your health but realize that exercise will be a huge boost towards healing and dealing with the stress. Push yourself gently...but just push yourself
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    Unless you're having a medical or mental issue that requires some medication for balancing out and that's keeping you down more than "normal", I hate to say it but usually you have to just get up and move. When I go to the gym I always am like I'm only committing to 20 minutes on this elliptical and if I want to go more after that I will. I more often than not do my 45 minutes. When doing something new or not our norm we are going to have to force it until it becomes routine and then habit. You may not feel like doing the exercise but you WILL feel better after you've accomplished it.

this. so sorry you're going through this but i would just get up and move. you'd be surprised how much energy you can channel just by focusing on yourself and moving on with your life.
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness- I am so sorry for what you're going through.
    First, it might be beneficial to see a therapist to talk about the problems that you are facing. She/he might have more information on energy and how to find it. I also have depression and it's hard for me to find the motivation to do anything through out the day let alone work out. You can overcome this with support and help of friends and family. Make sure that you want this and want to get your confidence back. Once you find your confidence, you will start feeling better and better.
    I wish you the best of luck!
  • gohsman21
    gohsman21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started walking when I cried....usually halfway through my walk I was done crying and more energized.

Therapy is the most helpful though. It won't be simple or easy, but your best bet is to push through. I also found that surrounding myself with positive people helped a lot.

Good luck! It won't be easy, but neither is staying with someone that you can't trust!
  • brittanysmith513
    Options
    Have some casual sex.

That always inspires me.

Definitely not.