Inputting food & exercise BEFORE you do it

Options

Replies

• sammyjackson10
    sammyjackson10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try and log my food most days apart from snacks, never know what i fancy :)

Excercise i log as i do it, find this much easier 1 because im on a budget and 2 seems easier to stick to if i know what im eating
  • marksvizz
    marksvizz Posts: 33
    Options
    I log everthing using my phone as I eat, and I use a app called Digifit that logs my exercise along with callorie burn, Im not good at planning my meal ahead of time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To a degree for food. On my 600 calorie (fasting) days I find you have to pre-plan/pre-log to stay close to goal. I also pre-log when I know I'm out and about or have a large meal later.
    So today I know I will be having fish & chips and wine this evening (1200 calories) - logged it already and will plan the rest of the day's food & exercise to fit it in. Diary currently showing over by 527 cals!

I plan exercise mentally but log calories from my HRM afterwards.
  • 668Janet
    668Janet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to log all my foods in the morning including any treat/snack foods so if I'm hungry and want to grab something quickly I know what i can and can't have. It also tends to help me with spacing my food out over the day instead of eating everything I've tracked in one go and being hungry later.

Also find it helps when going out etc as I know my limits and consciously decide to stay within my calories. It makes me more aware of what I'm eating instead of eating it first and guessing the calories afterwards bringing me over.

With exercise I tend to track it after it's done but on days like today when I think I'll need a bit of a push to do it I stick it in in the morning so I know I have to do it before I go to bed.
  • charlenelockhart3
    Options
    I do this, I tend to always track food before i have it so i know what i plan to eat then if i need anything else i add it later on in the day. Im not great at excersing so i only log that when i have done it x
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I plan it in advance then go back and make tweaks if I do anything different. I'm pretty consistant with what I eat anyhow though.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, I often plan & log food night before but never register exercise until I've done it.

This is what I do. I almost always know what I'm having for breakfast and lunch (I pack and take it to work), but dinner is always kind of up in the air.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Food yes, exercise no

I usually pre-log my day. But I never, ever pre-log my exercise.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Food yes, exercise no. I use a HRM so I can't input that in before I actually workout.
  • Kamile69
    Kamile69 Posts: 87
    Options
    I usually pre-log my food, but not my exercise, just in case something comes up and I can't commit to the amount put in.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I try to always pre-plan my food the evening before and log it into MFP. Then I'm more likely to stick to it the following day. I never pre-record my workouts. I use a HRM, so it would be pointless to guess how many calories I would work off in my next workout session.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I always pre-plan my food the night before. If I have a busy week, I'll aim to pre-plan as many days as I can so I'm never stuck with just grabbing what's easiest.

As for exercise - I don't log my burns until I've done them. Mainly because I use a HRM faithfully so I don't know my burns until I've reached them.
  • flanary888
    flanary888 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    YES, YES, YES!! It makes me stop and think about having to delete my good food to replace it with bad food! Not saying I don't ever do it, but it has been a deterrent many times for me.
  • kaybelieve
    kaybelieve Posts: 118
    Options
    I pre-log a lot of my food as I know then whether I can treat myself that day, it helps me stay on track.

I rarely pre-log exercise as I probably wouldn't do it, and there's no point lying about it.
  • classy2731
    Options
    I prelog both sometimes. I find that prelogging my exercise makes me more likely to do it. It basically makes me stay true to my word. If I happen not to do it, then i'll take it off or i'll change it if I do something else. But it works for me mentally.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to pre-log on the extreme days of my week. For instance, today is a rest day, so I won't have any calories to eat back (unless I just can't stand it and go for a walk--and then it will probably be no more than 200 anyway). So I planned out my food today to give me a better sense of how much I can eat.

And on days when I'm going to burn 700-900 calories exercising, I pre-log that so I can plan bigger meals throughout the day and spread out the calories.

Sometimes I'll also pre-log if I'm going to eat out, to make sure I can comfortably allow enough calories for a restaurant meal.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I pre log my food and exercise every day...sometimes I go over my exercise...I change my food log sometimes, but it remains more or less same..:smile: It definitely helps me stay on track!!
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not very good at that....however, I have started logging right before a meal and that helps me with portion control. "Seconds" can be a problem for me! We eat out alot and I do try to check the menu before going so that I know what I should/should not eat and the calories involved. I have a hard time being disciplined. I am a "work in progress." LOL
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes I log in all my food in the morning while I'm having my coffee. I don't log in exercise until I've done it. When I log in my workouts I also plan an extra snack with the extra cals.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat a variant on the same thing for breakfast and lunch every work day so thats easy to pre plan and then I can work out what the best option for dinner that night would be, depending on whether I plan on going to the gym or not. It definitely helps me keep on track.

I never pre load exercise, as I don't know what I will do until I do it, but I usually go to the gym (after work, before dinner) with the intention of burning at least 400 calories on a cardio day and at least 200 on a strength day (usually more). If I look like I am going to go way over calories that day, I will do more.

But then I have days like today where I have logged everything I plan to eat, and it really is everything as I don't want to go food shopping until Monday so the only snacks I can have tonight will be peanut butter straight from the jar! And I am running low on that too!