Ab cramps

Options
In all my years of working out with the bowflex or any other exercise, I have never suffered from any type of cramping. I began working out in February after a year layoff. While I can do almost every exercise without cramps, the minute I attempt even light weight resisted crunches, oblique crunches or oblique twists, I get debilitating cramps that immediately end my session. I mean I cannot even jump back on the elliptical to make up the time. I have tried everything from hydration, stretching, warming up etc.
I am doing a low carb diet also, but I work out after waking up so I am fasting with the exception of a 12 oz bottled water and a 12 oz decaf coffee.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Jeff48

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Maybe try planks and unresisted crunches, and twists, till you strengthen up there, before you add the light weight...
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I first was doing Ab exercises. I would get extremely bad ab muscle cramps and would have to stop turn over and stretch out to get the cramp to go away....this would happen for the the first few weeks of starting this ab routine that I was doing called Insanity Cardio Abs and I had also done P90X ab ripper X. Eventually after keeping up doing them the cramps subsided. So I say just try to stick with doing it and yes stop if you start to get the cramps and try again tomorrow. I bet overtime they will go away as they did for me!! :)