If You're Struggling To Lose Weight This May Be Why

Options
Hey MFP Peeps!

Just wanted to quickly share with you two videos I came across recently that were REALLY an eye opener. If you're struggling to lose weight even though you think you're doing everything 'right' this may be why.

These videos are a GOD SEND.

http://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

http://youtu.be/HGunZpKLb5o

Enjoy!!!

Replies

• CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is why, in my opinion, MFP's 1200 calorie/day baseline recommendation is NOT as outrageous as some make it out to be.

It is also why, in my opinion, you are better off shaving off a hundred or two calories a day from your diet than spending your time worrying about going into 'starvation mode'.

This ALSO demonstrates why nutritional/obesity scientific research studies that rely on caloric self-reporting should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This is great! I had already seen the first video but hadn't seen the second. Definitely worth the 5 minutes!!
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    I think most dietitians take a look at their clients' logs and adds another 500-1000 calories. I know mine does on initial visits! It's why she recommends using a digital scale even when you're confident you can eyeball portions. It's a habit I wish I could maintain.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks 4 sharing the vids - that was VERY interesting - esp. the "healthy" veg sammy that was as many kcal as a Big Mac!
  • queenbee47340
    Options
    I wrote down the URLs and will check them out. You know, most people think that the less they eat the les they weigh. Not true. You are supposed to eat a little bit several times a day. OK so now i work day shift like the rest of the world, I ma hungry at the same time as the rest of the world, and I eat more then once a day... Why am i not losing the weight everyone said I would when I came off of night shift.
    It was told to me for years..."oh working nights will make you put on weight" so it has been 2 months and nothing.....where is my reward?
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Ugh... Totally did that this week, I'm usually awesome and counting and I know how much I'll lose. But this week? Nope. I did something wrong. Someone asked "are you maybe not eating enough?" to which I replied "No, Im not counting enough." lol.... do over!!!
  • melmargirly
    melmargirly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome Information... I have a kitchen scale... I just NEED to use more!!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Quite Interesting. Thanks for posting
  • bathony
    bathony Posts: 51
    Options
    Wow, glad I eat 99% of my food cooked at home and measured on a digital scale. Great post, very enlightening
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The second one was scary. I never eat at the aforementioned establishments, but I'm sure they aren't the only ones providing inaccurate calorie info to the unsuspecting public.
  • ilonawie
    ilonawie Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bi eye opener! thanks! both videos are awesome
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Always with the digital scales - my house mates have made fun of it and questioned if I've got an 'easting disorder'*, but it's going to give a better 'best guess' than others.

Be nice if he'd tested a Big Mac, as he kept comparing other things to it :).
    And glad that Subway came in close to the correct figure as that's where I'll get fast food if I'm going to generally!

*Which, no doubt I have - just the other way to what they're thinking
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    The second one was really interesting - and the main reason you should eat non-packaged foods! Thanks for sharing!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Agree! I became aware of this LONG ago in this journey. The peanut butter still makes me cry LOL.

The second video was great too. I hadn't seen that one before and I definitely suspected as much. One thing I've started to watch on the prepackaged things is the serving size. Even when it says ONE serving for the package, if you weigh it, it's usually bigger than 1 serving. I guess there are significant penalties if they're caught giving you less than stated so they tend to overfill things.
  • patnj
    patnj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've called this "slippage" and try to stay at around mfp 1000 per day - because I know it's there and I can't lose weight if I go over. When I mention this to people I get flamed for going into "starvation mode" which I know I'm not. We try to eat very balanced interesting meals try to weigh things and generally don't feel hungry. I wish it were easier to share our meals - my husband is very inventive.

Thanks for giving me 2 videos that show I was on the right track.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump for later since I can't watch them currently. Will comment later for certain.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bumb for later
  • Mrs_Fit
    Mrs_Fit Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One way to avoid all this "overage" on accident is to quit choosing prepackaged crap. That's where all the calories and crap is hidden! Chose healthy options fresh veggies, lean protein, whole grains--the less things are messed with by man-the better they are in your body!

A great example is that Subway came in under-their sandwiches are mostly veggie..again not a whole lot to mess with there!