What can I make that's filling with chickpeas?

Options
Right,

This is going to sound daft. I only have £3 to last me till Friday and I have 3 tins on chickpeas.. frozen veg, baby potato's and thats about it to live off. I'm wondering if there's anything I can make with the chickpeas to live off? I can pop to Tesco and buy cheap other ingredients as long as it come to below £3 o.o ♥

Replies

• HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    chick pea stiry fry! I make it all the time,

chick peas, veg and a tin of tomatoes..delish and lasts days!
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Chana Masala, yummmm.
  • littleengine74
    Options
    Buy a few tins of kidney beans, etc and make a bean & chickpea salad. That would have lots of protein and fiber to fill you up.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    lemon pepper chicken
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I make carrot and chickpea soup, I add ground cumin and coriander if you have it, and an onion, and blend it a bit so I leave some texture.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I make bean salads with chickpeas, cilantro, and olive oil. I usually add feta and cucumbers or kidney beans, but you don't have to. Also you could try spices and olive oil. Good luck :)
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hummus... you don't even necessarily need the tahini.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Chickpea potato hash with eggs. It's breakfast but I could eat it anytime of the day.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/healthy_breakfast_recipes_with_vegetables?slide=4#leaderboardad
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Get a container of chicken or vegetable stock, a can of tomatoes, mix in the chick peas and veggies and make a chick pea stew.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would make soup. You could make some sort of chicken vegetable using chickpeas instead of noodles.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    hummus... you don't even necessarily need the tahini.

Yeah, I'd make hummus and use on whole wheat for sandwiches. You only need buy a little bit of garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt to make a big batch off one can. Or I like it dipped in roasted chicken for added protein.
  • chiuaxmum
    Options
    you don't say if you have spices, i will assume you have none.
    chop 1 onion, saute it in 2tsp oil
    add chopped garlic (2 cloves), add ginger (thumb size) saute for 2 min
    add tomato (2 medium), season with salt and pepper. cook for another 5 min
    add drained chickpeas and cook for 20-30 min with 1 cup of water added at start.

you can eat this with bread or rice or microwave potatoes.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole chickpea salad all the time! So good! 1/4 cup tomatoes, garlic, chives or green onion, cilantro, salt & pepper, 1 whole avocado cubed & lime juice (your spices & lime juice are to your taste, I don't measure, just a dash here and a pinch there) mix well then add your desired amount of chickpeas and mix! So yummy! I love the 3 bean salad too, Chickpeas, kidney beans, and I use baby butter beans as my 3rd bean, I like balsalmic & red wine vinegar mixture with EVOO, and salt & pepper to taste.

:bigsmile:
  • MadamUnique
    MadamUnique Posts: 173
    Options
    Ah didn't expect this many replies, I don't have any spices or anything. Think I may do as suggested a soup or something. Thank you though! :)
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I second the chana masala. In fact, if you have the spices on hand ( or you can buy a few bits at the bulk section) you can add drained and rinsed chickpeas to any tomato based Indian style curry recipe and it tastes nice over baked/microwaved potatoes split open, or rice. I'd get some brown rice on hand the next time you get money because you can do so much with it.

Check the Internet for recipes.

If you have flour, take a cup and mix with water and a pinch of salt to make a dough, work it a bit and flatten it and fry in a tsp or two of margarine or oil for a chapati style bread. You can put anything on it -- peanut butter, jam, or some kind of curry or sauce. Keep some dough in the fridge and fry up one or two fresh when you want hot bread.

:)
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I make a pasta and chickpea soup recipe a couple of weeks ago - http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/pasta-and-chickpea-soup. It was really good and froze really well so made for a great lunch at work heated up in the microwave.

The BBC Good Food spicy couscous salad is also really filling and is one of my fail-safe lunches/teas - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11262/spicy-couscous-salad

Hope these help :)

Ax
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    mash up chickpeas and add mayo and some celery and relish to make a chickpea salad.
    if you have avocado, they are good mashed up with that on a sandwich.
    or you can make a chickpea soup with broth, spnach, chopped onion and mushrooms. i pureed that all together and made a thick cream like soup, added lemon juice at the end and it was good.
    you can top salads with chickpeas.
    or just eat them plain haha.
    i have also added them into a veggie stir fry to throw in protein.
    mmm chickpeas
    also idk if you have any, but i made chickpea cutlets once off of post punk kitchen website using wheat gluten, they were delish
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Forget salad!!! Chuck it all in a pot and make a casserole, season to your taste then divide into individual servings and freeze!
    Easy peasy! This is how I live, scraping together bits and pieces and making it taste good!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas. Easy, cheap, filling, fun!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas - its like corn nuts but with chickpeas.