whey protein vs chocolate milk

Options
Becca21
Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
Hi y'all
Starting insanity the 1st of April I won't be following there food plan but will be eating clean.
I have a question people have been saying chocolate milk is just as good as whey protein.

What's your views...

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Supposedly chocolate milk has the right...balance of something for post workout recovery.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all
    Starting insanity the 1st of April I won't be following there food plan but will be eating clean.
    I have a question people have been saying chocolate milk is just as good as whey protein.

What's your views...

Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink for post-exercise because it contains a good balance of protein/fats/carbs needed to replenish the muscles.

Whey is generally used to help people meet their protein macros when they struggle to get enough protein from solid food.

I use whey to top up my protein and also enjoy chocolate milk so I mix the two together :happy:
  • shella_bella
    Options
    Chocolate milk has a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein which is good for post workout recovery. Whey protein doesn't do anything except allow a quick & convienent way to get your daily protein intake in.

quick blurb about why
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

ETA: If you're doing Insanity, you can use chocolate milk to replace the beachbody results & recovery drink.
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    thank you for your help. cant wait to start
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I read this post yesterday and instantly text someone in my household who was shopping, to buy me some chocolate milkshake mix. Had it post-workout yesterday, and god I have missed milkshakes! Thanks for inspiring me. :flowerforyou:
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Pre-packaged chocolate milk, not a milkshake mix...
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    whaaa...? Chocolate milk is full of sugar. How is that a good drink for anything?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    whaaa...? Chocolate milk is full of sugar. How is that a good drink for anything?

A banana is full of sugar :\ Everything in moderation.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Because sugar, in and of itself, is not evil?
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    Sugar is not bad, but it occurs more naturally in a banana. Also, chocolate milk doesn't have fiber, vitamin C, or as much potassium as a banana. Everything in moderation, but let's make our food more efficient and nutritious.
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Is this even a question? Whey. You need your protein (:
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on Insanity. I've been doing it on and off and love it! Just wish I had the motivation to not stop it! Starting back up next week!

I've heard Chocolate Milk is good for you...however Milk does not get along with me...any suggestions from anyone?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've heard Chocolate Milk is good for you...however Milk does not get along with me...any suggestions from anyone?

Blue Diamond almond milk comes in chocolate flavour and is delicious. less than 100 cal per 200 ml glass. I add a scoop of plain whey to mine. Not sure where you're based but in the UK I buy it in Waitrose for £1 a carton (in the long life milk alternatives section).
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    I love chocolate milk, but cannot seem to tolerate the lactose so I've always done whey protein with 1/4 cup of oats and 1 cup of almond milk...
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all

What's your views...

Chocolate milk is a good recovery drink for post-exercise because it contains a good balance of protein/fats/carbs needed to replenish the muscles.

Whey is generally used to help people meet their protein macros when they struggle to get enough protein from solid food.

I use whey to top up my protein and also enjoy chocolate milk so I mix the two together :happy:

This.

Plus one cup a day is not going to harm you for all the sugar phobes out there. I meet all my other macros daily so it's pretty nutritious to me!
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For the people like me who LOVE chocolate milk but can't handle the lactose:
    Lactaide makes a chocolate milk that according to my roommate is just as good as regular chocolate milk, I've never tried it.
    The route I usually take is 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I prefer Vanilla but plain or chocolate would work too) 1/2 serving of protein powder (whatever kind you buy is probably fine, I go back and forth between vanilla and chocolate but usually use the soy since some whey proteins do still contain lactose, and 2 TBSP of Hershey's syrup. It's not quite the "perfect" balance that regular chocolate milk has but it taste yummy and is close. I use the one scoop of protein powder instead of two simply because the first time I made it I didn't read the directions and I like it this way so I kept with it :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

This is right, tho i wouldn't put the the whey in the chocolate milk because then it upsets that balance you were talking about.

Chocolate milk actually has a 3:1 carb to protein ratio, the BB R&R drink has a 4:1 ratio. Chocolate milk was used in at least one study that shows evidence that the carb/protien mixture is beneficial, so its a good low cost choice. I think it actually mentions that in the nutrition guide.

I know, i went through this when i first discovered it. Your muscle need carbs after a workout, but the reason why sugars are best is the same reason why they are bad in every other instance except post exercise: they spike your blood sugar, and cause an insulin response. Normally thats going to force all the glucose in your blood into your liver, muslces and fat cells (but mainly fat cells). Supposedly, within an hour after an intense workout, your muscles are going to take in more then they normally would during this insulin response. So its hopefully a way to get your muslces more of what they need faster then they otherwise would get them and therefore boosting recovery.

Not everyone buys into it. it seems pretty sound to me, but i've never seen an article that actually proves your muscles get into this state after a workout, and i'd probably need a biochem degree to understand it anyway.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, Chocolate milk is full of the bad carbs and bad fats you do not want. And I dont think fat is needed PWO anyway.

Drink Whey with glucose and maltodextrin.
  • christimccarty
    Options
    I do have to chime in... for someone with a heavy sugar tooth and addiction (which I'm sure lots of people join me in this!) this would not be good for me! Refined sugar is not what the body needs and if I allowed that after a workout I wouldn't drink one cup... there would be more to follow. Find a healthier alternative... like actually combining a small meal that meats the ratio of carbs/protien/fat that you want for optimal recovery!
    In this world where we cant trust what our food companies put into our food because they're just trying to get you hooked to the product so they can make money... are you going to trust a magazine that is all about making sales push another "fad" onto you that doesn't seem quite right?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I drink both.. chocolate milk and whey protein sometimes in milk sometimes in water.. depends what i have on hand and what' i'm in the mood for.

I do it when i'm way under my calories or when I'm way low on protein.