Staying motivated when the weight is slow to come off?

Options
2»

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to set small goals, I also think you should work on developing self-control (this has been a hard one for me, and some days are better than others). When you get frustrated, take the opportunity to evaluate your routine, including what time of day you are most likely to eat junk, why you crave poor-quality food etc. Your goals should be tailored to those specific weak areas that you identify. For me, getting home from work was the worst time of day: I only ate what I had packed at work, but then reached for the easiest least-nutritious snacks when I got home. I heard from an accomplished triathlete that you should think of your food as fuel for your body, junk food will keep the motor running, but it will eventually gum up all the parts and prevent you from your goal health. I just joined MFP because I finished a half marathon (yay!), but only lost about 10 of the 70 pounds I'd like to shed (talk about frustrating!). I reevaluated and realized diet is the culprit for me, my meals were basically healthy, but I sort of ignored the tiny snacks (a square of chocolate, 1 potato chip, a handful of popcorn etc.). So my next race is in July and I don't have a time goal, I have a weight goal, which I plan to achieve with the calorie defecit. Mine is fairly steep (I'm set at 1200 calories a day before exercise) because I know my metabolism just isn't naturally fast and that is what I need to do to lose weight. This is a looong road we are on, and it isn't easy, but I encourage you not to give up. Don't let people tell you " it shouldn't be this hard"; it is hard, but you are capable of more than you realize. Every time you get frustrated, tell yourself all the benefits you've gained, even if it's just that you can move more easily, your blood pressure is lower, or that you have more guts than most of the country to even attempt to be healthier. Best of luck to you!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. Awesome advice people.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    With all due respect to the other posters I will go ahead and be the contrarian and say it makes no sense to me to be focusing your attention on items that only have an indirect baring on fat loss. Your goals are your goals. If your goal was to eat more veggies than yes I would focus on eating more veggies. If your goal right now is to burn fat then focus your efforts on that.

1. Create a calorie deficit (if 3 or 4 weeks have passed and you haven’t lost weight or it’s been minimal, then you need to have a heart to heart with yourself and determine if you are honestly hitting your calorie goal on a regular basis. If you are, then you need to increase your exercise, decrease your intake, or a combination of both and reassess your progress.)
    2. Get sufficient protein so the weight lost is fat not muscle
    3. Start a strength training routine for the same reason as #2.

For your goal of losing weight, everything else is optional and should only be added if it benefits your life and helps you reach your goal (plenty of the suggestions offered are beneficial, but are not what is required). That is my take at least. Good luck.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hear you. 27 pounds in two years and I'm struggling like crazy just to lose a few ounces a month. My motivation is to continue going for me because one of these days its going to happen. as long as I am alive and kicking, I'd rather be doing something for myself towards that goal than to just give up, cause if I give up, it will never happen. Better 2 years from now than never. Keep pushing. Good luck
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    As much as my MFP friends are awesome and I love the support from this website, it's also a slap in the face when I seem to try as hard as they are and they're down 30 pounds and I'm down 6. I really, truly get you. I'm trying not to compare myself, and stay focused on the positive changes that have happened. I'm much fitter and look more alive than I have in a long time, so that's good. Health counts for something, and I can't lose sight of that, just because the scale continues to betray me. On a strictly practical level, I've started weighing everything to make sure I'm not underestimating my calories, because I think I might be. Good luck. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I congratulate you on MAINTAINING GOAL #1. This is an excellent strategy while you figure out how to proceed.

You are reading and resourcing and interviewing widely, so YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING MORE...you are trying to figure this out, and have not yet thrown in the towel. The only thing you are chastising yourself for are some "crappy food choices." Perhaps--when your spirit is recharged, that is what you know you can address.

In the meantime, have you applauded yourself for meeting AND keeping goal #1? Also, make a list of all the people of all the people to whom you give valuable resources of time, energy, guidance, and love. It might start something like this: To my lovely children I cook 21 meals and 14 snacks every week; to the girls I coach I give 20 hours of instruction and confidence; to my husband ...

You may feel that you are only "fluffy", but I guarantee there are lots of people of whom when thinking of word to describe you, that would never be one of them.

Thanks for signing in every day and logging. You are a person with stick-to-it-ness, through all sorts of weather. It will not be surprising when you get over this hurdle.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your GREAT advice! It is also a little comforting to know some of you are in the same boat as me.

I am working out. I lift weights 2-3x per week and do cardio 2x per week. Some weeks have been harder than others becuase of a crazy schedule, but I know the biggest problem is my diet.

As a PP said, it is my food. My problem is, the more discouraged I get = more bad food choices I make. It is the "what the eff, I'm not losing anyway" mentality. I need to get rid of that. I just feel like I yo-yo between feeling that way and "hey, I can do this!" once every two weeks. Definitely counter-active

I love all the health goals advice.

Thanks everyone for the lift I needed! love it!
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anything in about a year. I know for me I have a bit no a lot of depression. I lovev 70lbs and then it just stopped in May once I got on with the place I work at now. I yo-yoed and gave up for a brief few weeks and ate what I wanted and would go back and forth. I wasn't perfect when I lost the 70lbs either but my drive was alot different. Now I'm slowly getting back that drive I use to have. I workout like a beast and I am cleaning up my food act. It will happen one day. I may not get to the size I want to before it's too late for me to be found by a nice man and get married but I will be a fit middle aged lady. Don't quit,don't waver. If you know this is what you want then go after it like preggo lady wanting some ice cream. They will waddle off a couch to get it. Make it happen for you no one else. Add me if you would like I don't have friend here because comparison is horrid for the mind.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    We all have those moments. Just remember, you haven't failed until you quit trying. There's lots of great advice here, find something you can stick to. Someone once told me that when I was ready to do this, I would find a way. Until then, I would find excuses. Are you ready?
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ^^^There must have been "cheating" invloved, to some extent. No way you could have religiously stuck to this exact regimine without wavering and not lost ANY weight or inches. You may need help with your accountability and then you may find the real problem.

I log everything that goes in my mouth. I am held accountable by more than myself and quite frankly, why would I work as hard as I am only to "cheat"? I had an issue going over carbs pretty consistently until about 4 weeks ago. I rarely go over allotted calories. The real problem is finding that sweet spot with macros and eating enough. I barely clear BMR.

To the OP - I hope you find much success in your journey.