the guy at my daughter's school fitness room

Options
I talked to him since he knows about training stuff and he asked me how much I weighed to give me an idea of what reccomendations he would make for how long to do the elliptical trainer to reach my goal in 6 months. He said I think your scale is way off on what it is telling you. you weigh a lot less than what it is saying you do.

then my friend jessica told me the same thing. you don't look like you weigh 180 pounds.

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I talked to him since he knows about training stuff and he asked me how much I weighed to give me an idea of what reccomendations he would make for how long to do the elliptical trainer to reach my goal in 6 months. He said I think your scale is way off on what it is telling you. you weigh a lot less than what it is saying you do.

then my friend jessica told me the same thing. you don't look like you weigh 180 pounds.

Does the fitness room have a different scale you could use?
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    unfortunately they don't have a scale yet otherwise I would use it.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    have you weighed at your doctors office? I would trust theirs before I would trust any home or training room scale.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    People don't think I weigh as much as I do either. I think it depends on how well you're 'packed' - I'm an ex-jock and I've always been pretty muscular.

Is your doctor's scale pretty much in line with yours?
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh I get that a lot too! People get surprised that I weigh that much when really it doesn't show
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I weigh 20 pounds more than people think. I think its funny, but I love the muscle, If it were the other way around,,,yikes!
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    I am the athletic build type and most of my weight is carried in my thighs as opposed to my stomach. My step grandma has a doctor's scale at her house.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    another reason not to weigh! a number means nothing, its all about how you look!
  • jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your scale is what you use. Right or wrong, its consistent. Calibrate it with a bag of flour or something along those lines. Even if your scale isn't totally accurate, did he answer your question based on what you told him? I mean can it really be THAT much off? No one believes I weight what I do either. Good Luck!
  • kirstyb393
    Options
    Your scale is what you use. Right or wrong, its consistent. Calibrate it with a bag of flour or something along those lines. Even if your scale isn't totally accurate, did he answer your question based on what you told him? I mean can it really be THAT much off? No one believes I weight what I do either. Good Luck!

How do you calibrate you scales at home? I am curious
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    So... you took the advice of a guy who eyeballed you, rather than a machine specifically designed for this use? Uh huh. Yeah. Go get a scale.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    some people carry weight much better than others, i carry mine evenly so i dont have it all on my belly or all in one spot so people never believe my weight x
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My mother and I also have muscular/athletic body types, and weigh more than one might guess. I love it! :smile:

I'm more concerned with my body fat % and measurement changes than the numbers on the scale, so whether it's right or wrong, my home scale is fine for me.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    People don't believe I weigh as much as I do either by the way I carry my weight. They usually think I am a good 20-30 lbs less than I am
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Like you I carry my weight all over so according to some 'I carry it well'....If you aren't loving the weight then lose it! Don't let others tell you how much or how little to lose.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Why don't you solve the problem and buy a bathroom scale? There like $10 and last years.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    the guy at the gym is actually a fitness trainer for the school. he was who I was asking.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No one believes that I weigh over 200 pounds. But I do. 217 to be exact. Noone believed I weighed 300 pounds either. But I did.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    he said to to the ellipitical 25-30 minuets 3 days a week to get the proper calorie burn on my work outs. to reach my goal. but to build up to it and start with level 1 on it first.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is he a circus weight guesser?

Looking like you weigh less than you do is a good thing, and shows how meaningless the scale is. That doesn't mean your scale is wrong, though.