1200 calories vs BMR - 20%

Options
Hey all,
I am currently in my first week on MFP and have already lost 3lbs in 5 days after leaving weightwatchers 4.5 stone lighter at 141lbs but had picked up many unhealthy eating habits!
I have read so many debates on this topic and was wondering what sort of weight loss difference would I expect from 1200 compared to my BMR - 20% 1475 calories?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your workout calories? You should.

Also, TDEE/BMR - 20% will be better than 1200 calories.
  • Twistedlime
    Twistedlime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome! I agree with sixout. -20% is better than the 1200 route, IMO.
    Good luck!!
  • happypopmelon
    Options
    i lost weight doing the 1200 calories a day thing for about a month after that i just plataued and that seems to happen to most people. It's fine to kick start it but not as a long term thing. I now eat at my tdee -20% which is only 1380 but that extra 180 cals has made me start to lose weight again so i would recommend upping your calories too. Plus also eat back as many exercise calories as you can but try not to worry too much if you can't eat them all back. good luck :-) x
  • abbigreen5
    Options
    Brilliant thankyou for the advice! I'm coming up to my university exams so no time for excercise at the moment but I definitely will be eating them back! I can't stand plateauing and although I obviously haven't at the moment I don't want to down the line. Should I stick to 1200 until I hit a plateu then move straight to TDEE- 20%? Or start now xx
  • happypopmelon
    Options
    start now i say :-) x
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Yip, agree that TDEE - 20% is far better than a 1200 setting and start as soon as.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    i lost weight doing the 1200 calories a day thing for about a month after that i just plataued and that seems to happen to most people. It's fine to kick start it but not as a long term thing. I now eat at my tdee -20% which is only 1380 but that extra 180 cals has made me start to lose weight again so i would recommend upping your calories too. Plus also eat back as many exercise calories as you can but try not to worry too much if you can't eat them all back. good luck :-) x

This! I started on the 1200 plan lost some weight and stalled. Upped to tdee -20 percent and have steadily lost. Good luck in your journey!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    you cant drive a car without fuel. You cant excercise your body without energy. fuel=energy=FOOD. I say no to prop1200
  • babyshroom
    babyshroom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 1200, usually eat back about half my exercise calories, and I haven't had a plateau last longer than a couple of days (unless I've done something I shouldn't have and eaten an entire med. pizza in one sitting). I'm at 29 lbs down since the beginning of the year and I'm rarely hungry. But not everything works for everyone. Find out what works for you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With the small amount of weight you have left to lose, TDEE minus 15% or 10% might be better for you.

The closer you are to your goal, the slower weight loss will and should be.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Never do BMR - any percentage. You use your TDEE. If you don't have a lot to lose you need it at a very small deficit. 1200 is far too low... even if you eat your exercise calories back.
    Figure out your TDEE and take a 10% cut off of that.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Why not enjoy that 180 calories and still lose weight?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Why would you do 1,200 cals anyway? Just because myfitnesspal says so?
    I say TDEE minus a 10-20% deficit.
  • abbigreen5
    Options
    Thankyou all! I'm going to take the advice and change to TDEE- 20%!! I'm far too hungry on 1200 anyway!! First time that I've listened to my body rather than what a "diet" has made me eat. So fingers crossed it works!' Xx
  • clyn7819
    clyn7819 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am 177 pounds and my goal weight is 136 pounds. I started out at 250 pounds. so what percentage of body fat should I aim for?

advise please:)
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
  • abbigreen5
    Options
    Total daily energy expenditure! Read the link given above its very useful and helps you to discover your daily calories needs based in your body and not mfp generic allowances x
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sweet gurl - read the roadmap link & check out scoobyworkshop for calculators. Good luck to both of you!!

BMR & TDEE are two different things. Do your calculations & decide if you want to do 10, 15 or 20% under your TDEE. I am doing 20% under my TDEE which is about 1,800
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your workout calories? You should.

Also, TDEE/BMR - 20% will be better than 1200 calories.

TDEE - 10 - 20 % Yes
    BMR - 10 - 20 % No