Inexpensive, Non-Food Rewards

Options
I've never been able to implement a reward system for myself. My budget is tight so shopping isn't a good option and I love food, but I don't think food rewards are a good option for me as one of my goals is to clean up my diet a bit.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A trip to the movies with a friend, a new pair of sunglasses, new nail polish or a pedicure if you can get one inexpensively where you live, a new pair of earrings, or a new lipstick.

I go to Weight Watchers, so when you hit certain targets they give you rewards. So when I lose 10% of my initial body weight I will get a key chain, when I lose 25 pounds, I get a circle charm for the key chain, and so on. So I have those rewards, which actually don't cost me anything above and beyond my membership fees.

But I also have personal rewards for some milestones. When I lose5% of my body weight I am getting a pedicure. I go to Bikram yoga, so when I get to Onederland I am buying myself a new yoga towel. Stuff like that.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'd like some ideas too. Getting out to do anything just isn't really possible...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you do? What do your workouts involve? Little things like a new run hat, fast laces, new bike socks can work.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My problem is consistency. I want to set up a program where I can follow how consistent I am with workouts and calorie goals, but I know if I don't implement a reward, I want stick with tracking it... let alone be consistent. The only reason why I have managed to be this successful with calorie-tracking is because MFP made it easy... and the social element is sort of a reward for me showing up every day. LOL!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be expensive to feel like a reward.

It could be as simple as a new lipstick/nail polish colour

I like buying myself something that feels good - like an oversized bath sheet that is super fluffy and in a cheerful colour.
    Or fun socks.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    VERY VERY SEXY LINGERIE
    the highest heeled boots you can find.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    What do you do? What do your workouts involve? Little things like a new run hat, fast laces, new bike socks can work.

Lately, the goal is to get up every morning and do some active Wii games for 30 minutes 5 days a week, 2 hours of rollerskating once a week, and lift 3 nights a week. Also, I want to reward myself for getting my macro goals right as this is another issue that I have.

Yes, my cardio is a lot of fun stuff which works well for me, but its the getting up early part that hinders it.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I love the pedicure idea.. Or even a facial! (I'm afraid to say that word around my FL now, so hopefully they don't read my answer).. I love makeup so a Sephora trip is fun for me too..

Or how bout new things for working out. New shoes, lifting straps, things like that =))
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Where I live, you can get a facial for about $30. It's a bit of a splurge, but it's SO worth it. Something to look into.

I've heard of people who put $5 in a jar for every pound lost. It sounds like a lot, but really you are only looking at $5-10 a week, tops. Then when you get to your goal weight, you have a nice little jar of money for a reward. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, that could be a night out, some new clothes, a new hair style, a weekend trip, whatever.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    It doesn't have to be expensive to feel like a reward.

It could be as simple as a new lipstick/nail polish colour

I like buying myself something that feels good - like an oversized bath sheet that is super fluffy and in a cheerful colour.
    Or fun socks.

I'm not a frills and fluff kinda girl. I honestly can't think of any small things that matter enough to me to motivate me to be active.
  • justdowhatworks
    Options
    A dollar (or whatever monetary amount you choose) in a jar each time you accomplish a goal, until you have enough money to splurge on something that you really want.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Would setting up a money jar work? Every time you work out and keep your diary on target you add a certain amount to the jar? All of my rewards have been exercise related, like new sneakers and new weights when I hit 10% weight loss goals, so it gave me time to save up for them.

(Apparently I type too slow!)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Bubble bath and a trashy novel.

DIY "pinup" photo shoot with a friend or the self-timer on the camera.

Stick $10 in a jar every week you stick to your goals, and in 2 months, buy something fun with that $80.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I LIKE GOING TO GOODWILL OR THRIFT STORES AND GETTING A NEW OUTFIT OR USED WORK OUT GEAR. YOU CAN GO TO THE LIBRARY AND GET FREE WORK OUT DVDS OR RENT A FUN MOVIE AND HAVE A MOVIE NIGHT WITH FRIENDS OR YOUR PARTNER :) A HIKE WITH A NICE PICNIC? TRIP TO THE FARMERS MARKET?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't have rewards, I have goals. I sign up for races and events. Completing them is my reward. most are only $10 or $20, and usually for good causes.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    A dollar (or whatever monetary amount you choose) in a jar each time you accomplish a goal, until you have enough money to splurge on something that you really want.

That's a thought, but I'm not sure my budget could handle it. It would depend on how often I'm meeting that goal. Plus, I'm known to rob the piggy bank. I'm not real good at saving unless it goes from my check straight into an account that I can forget I actually own. LOL!
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options

This is a great idea!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Everyday that you eat better or exercise put $1 in a jar when you reach a certain goal spend that money on something.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i reward myself with something high-end that is usually food, but healthy food. the whole foods salad bar or jason's deli salad bar is absolutely delicious and healthy, but is too expensive for every day, food rewards don't have to be unhealthy. sometimes i'll get a bottle of gourmet light salad dressing that i usually wouldn't pay the $4.50 for, or a specialty product like sweet potato jam. i also reward myself with a running shorts, ipod arm band, new songs from itunes...stuff that will help me get to my next goal faster.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A lot of the beauty schools around here offer discounted services for massage/manicures/pedicures/hair styling (if you're willing to let a student work on ya) They need the practice and you need the service, it's a win-win!