Inexpensive, Non-Food Rewards

Options
2»

Replies

• sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be expensive to feel like a reward.

It could be as simple as a new lipstick/nail polish colour

I like buying myself something that feels good - like an oversized bath sheet that is super fluffy and in a cheerful colour.
    Or fun socks.

I'm not a frills and fluff kinda girl. I honestly can't think of any small things that matter enough to me to motivate me to be active.

If this is the case then you've answered your own question. Your health and ability to go more, faster, farther will have to be its own reward. I enjoyed a thrift store run for smaller jeans but past that I also am not a big frills kinda girl. So I just am happy with my progress and the fact that I don't want to go backwards is what motivates me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A dollar (or whatever monetary amount you choose) in a jar each time you accomplish a goal, until you have enough money to splurge on something that you really want.

That's a thought, but I'm not sure my budget could handle it. It would depend on how often I'm meeting that goal. Plus, I'm known to rob the piggy bank. I'm not real good at saving unless it goes from my check straight into an account that I can forget I actually own. LOL!

If a dollar is too much .50 a day or a quarter then by the time you reach your goal. I prefer minigoals like every 10lbs you will have saved enough for a nice splurge. Just like you resist eating poorly resist robbing poor Mr. Piggy. It will mean a lot more to you in the end.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I like buying myself something that feels good - like an oversized bath sheet that is super fluffy and in a cheerful colour.
    Or fun socks.

I'm not a frills and fluff kinda girl. I honestly can't think of any small things that matter enough to me to motivate me to be active.

If this is the case then you've answered your own question. Your health and ability to go more, faster, farther will have to be its own reward. I enjoyed a thrift store run for smaller jeans but past that I also am not a big frills kinda girl. So I just am happy with my progress and the fact that I don't want to go backwards is what motivates me.

That's been my motivation thus far. Perhaps I just need to get started on tracking this stuff and visually seeing that I'm succeeding might be enough. Thanks for the advice. And thanks to all of you. These are some great ideas. I do like the money-saving idea. I might find a way to work that one out later.

OH...and I like that massage idea. Maybe if I can work out the monetary thing, then I could use that money for a massage!

Thanks again everyone!
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Buy a book when you follow through with your targets. Or, if you have an MP3 player you use during workouts, buy an audio book to listen to whilst working out. These aren't expensive, depending on what you get.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Or fun socks.

If your own personal dedication works thats even better. For myself, I need little treats and rewards it gives me something to look foward to because the day to day of measuring, resisting, battling, and moving gets tedious and boring. I have to have something shiny and new. If you arent frilly I bet there is something you need for the house one of my rewards was a salt and pepper grinder! It's anything that is special to you that you wouldnt normally buy if you need the rewards.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Or fun socks.

If your own personal dedication works thats even better. For myself, I need little treats and rewards it gives me something to look foward to because the day to day of measuring, resisting, battling, and moving gets tedious and boring. I have to have something shiny and new. If you arent frilly I bet there is something you need for the house one of my rewards was a salt and pepper grinder! It's anything that is special to you that you wouldnt normally by if you need the rewards.

Well I was really looking more for short-term rewards, like "I followed my intended workout routine and nailed my macros for the week so I get a reward", but stuff for the kitchen would be awesome. I might definitely consider that for a long-term reward.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A short massage (like 15 min) is a favorite of mine.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just bought some perfume from Demeter Fragrances. It's cheap, and they have cookie scents you can wear. I've discovered I like the SMELL of sweets better than the taste anyway.

I'm wearing Almond and Black Russian today. I smell delicious. I bought 4 different scents (the small bottles) and got 2 free for $40.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a wonderful collection of sample size bath salts, bubble baths, and body washes - every time i workout i get to use one (instead of regular soap) and baby myself a little. Keeps me motivated :)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have access to a Dollar General, or a Dollar Tree type store - but if you're a crafty sort, you might say that after you reach __x amount__ of weightloss - or after you meet __x amount of days__ on your calorie goal, etc (whatever your goal may be) - that you'll go there and buy some items to make a new craft of some sort.

And maybe if you make your goals various things it would help/be fun - rather than 100% focus on the # on the scale? Maybe, "If I walk 5 miles this week - then on payday I'll go to the dollar store and buy some stuff to make a new vase for the living room"

etc

I know my biggest thing I would complain of - before lowering my debt - was the fact that i could get a great cheap reward from the $1 menu at wendy's anytime - alas - that is how i got in the state I'm in haha.
    But I've found as my debt got lower and lower (I FINALLY paid off a 10,000$ consolidation after 10 years....that should have ONLY taken 5 haha) - it was easier to have money to turn my reward center from food, to other things - and doing smaller crafty things @ the dollar tree helps. :)

They always do seasonal stuff - so you might say if i lose x amount - or whatever goal - then i'll buy some fun stuff to have a healthy food 4th of july party at the house for family! woohoo!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just read in a magazine (forget which one) that a new trend for spring is wearing bright fun solid colored tops with big or interesting necklaces. I've already picked up some cute 3/4 sleeve shirts at Walmart for less than $8 each and then I got some jewelry at Forever 21. All of the necklaces were around $6-7. If you don't have one, you can order online. Another great store for fun jewelry is Love Culture.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I started off by buying myself fitness goodies. "No you can't blow cash on whatever gadget you think you need until you've gone to the gym every day for two months" really helped me get the good habits started. And the rewards scaled - I can't remember what "every day for a week" was but there was something. I know "every day for six months" was a decent pair of running shoes, and "every day for a year" was hiring a personal trainer. It's a habit now, though, so I don't buy myself treats any more.

But anything you can tie into the work you're putting in is good. A new kitchen scale? A nice knife? A bag to bring your lunch to work in? Quality workout socks? (Don't laugh, sock quality has a big impact on workout enjoyment.)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've rewarded myself with hypnotherapy so that I can stop feeling the need to reward mysefl with 'things" haha :laugh:
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I try to reward myself with things that help my workouts/eating better. I bought myself a food scale when I lost my first few pounds, a bought myself a nice yoga mat, new running shoes, new workout clothes, etc. I'm going to be buying myself new shoes again as i save up for it (I save $1 for every mile I run during the C25K program). When I get to my goal weight though I'm going to slurge and buy a really nice swimsuit from Victoria Secret.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    New workout apparel. Just slightly tighter fitting than your current size. Gives you motivation to shrink.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    A smaller @ss....costs nothing and you don't get it till you EARN it....