Low Impact Exercises for Someone with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis after having a surgery for pain in my hip, about a million tests, and all that fun stuff. I still have moderate to severe pain specifically in my hips & lower back, and sometimes in my legs as well, on a daily basis - which is not particularly great for staying fit and active. My favorite exercise is simply walking on the beach - I can do that for hours without too much discomfort, but in the winter, that doesn't really work.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for some low impact exercises, stretches, etc, that may help with rheumatoid, or at least not make my joint pain flare up any worse than it is normally. I apologize if these seem like naive questions, but this has been a fairly big adjustment for me over the past few months as this has gotten progressively worse, and not being as active as I am used to is a bit difficult. My biggest concern is overexerting myself, specifically my hips, and ending up not being able to exercise/move around comfortably for days after the fact.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• missslinkypants
    Options
    I have Psoriatic Arthritis which is very similar and I have been told that walking, swimming and cycling are all fine to do, it really is only the stuff where you jump around that can cause people like us problems

When I wanted to start getting active I spoke to my Rheumatologist and he pointed me in the right direction

Good luck xxx
  • missslinkypants
    Options
    Also if you don`t mind me asking, you say you are still in pain, have they stated you on any treatment yet ? I am on a lot of medication and it has been juggled about for about the last year but I am finally more or less pain free most of the time x and I litterally suffer in every joint except for my elbows
  • shannond113
    shannond113 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Swimming and yoga. Just keep moving, keep the joints loose and flexible, and only go to where you feel comfortable-don't overdo it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you can find a water aerobics class near you, that would be excellent exercise for you. It will help strengthen and stretch.
  • CaitNotKate
    Options
    Long story short - when I had surgery for a labral tear in my hip, they didn't know it was rheumatoid. At the end of last summer, I started having more joint pain, and I suppose what you would call full blown flair ups, and once it started being more than just my left hip, I was referred to a rheumatologist. I just started a long-term treatment plan, however, it's supposed to take at least 2 months for any relief, which is frustrating. I just want to be able to move around, and not regret getting out of bed the next day, if you know what I mean. Over the past few months, I've felt it more in other joints - other than the hips, it progressed to be the ankles, knees, and sometimes I wake up with "raptor hands" where I can't really move my fingers around for a good 5-10 minutes, minimally (more if I am cold).

I appreciate your advice - I've been told staying active helps in the long term, so I am trying to do that. My biggest difficulty is finding activities while it's still cold out - cold makes everything 10x worse.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    A video series called "Walking Off the Pounds" by leslie Sansone may work for you. I did it with an older friend who has the same and she found it do-able. I lost pounds and am more fit than she is. Uses some light hand weights for upper body, or stretch bands where you can control the pace.

Here is an example of what to look for: http://www.walmart.com/ip/12566422?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
  • missslinkypants
    Options
    It will take a while depending on what you are taking, BUT I started on Enbrel last Otober and noticed a huge difference within a week, however it is really expensive and I don`t know much about your health care over there. I have to try 3 other types of medication before they put me on the weeky injection

Over here you have to have tried at least 2 anti rheumatic drugs without relief before they give you the biologicals

With regards to your hnds, when I am having a flare which still happens I emerse my hands in water frst thing in the morning as hot as I can and let the warm water relieve the pain and stiffness, I can get gooign loads quicker that way

I you want any help or tips just let me know, I am becoming a bit of an old hand at this now, had it for nearly two years xx
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have RA (in my knees). What I discovered over the last month is that ice skating is great for me. It is very low impact, and a lot of smaller stabilizer muscles are used in the process: muscles that aren't used through many other activities.

We've been ice skating once a week. The change has been amazing. Most mornings I'm able to walk up the two flights of stairs to my office at a good speed, and my colleagues have commented on the fact that I'm moving better.

I hadn't skated in almost thirty years, but a hand-me-down pair of skates gifted to my four-year-old from one of his older cousins got the ball rolling for us. I am so thankful!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It will take a while depending on what you are taking, BUT I started on Enbrel last Otober and noticed a huge difference within a week, however it is really expensive and I don`t know much about your health care over there. I have to try 3 other types of medication before they put me on the weeky injection

Over here you have to have tried at least 2 anti rheumatic drugs without relief before they give you the biologicals

With regards to your hnds, when I am having a flare which still happens I emerse my hands in water frst thing in the morning as hot as I can and let the warm water relieve the pain and stiffness, I can get gooign loads quicker that way

I you want any help or tips just let me know, I am becoming a bit of an old hand at this now, had it for nearly two years xx

I never knew this about the hands. Thanks for the tip. I was diagnosed two years ago with psoriatic arthritis and osteo in both knees. I couldn't handle using steroids or NSAIDs. Last year, I wound up in the hospital because they wore away the lining of my stomach and larger intestine. Yesterday, I was re-diagnosed with fibromyalgia because of where the pain shoots from (the soft tissues between my joints). Feels like fire ants are crawling under my skin. They put me on Celebrex and I was also given a bunch of foam roller and joint exercises for the bursitis in my hips. I can't help with low-impact information. I'm a runner .. I'll never give it up until my body just breaks down and doesn't allow me to do so anymore. The feeling I get from running is incredible and yes, I hurt for days, but it's a good hurt and has helped me so much. You just have to keep moving. Everyone raves about yoga. Maybe I'll have to look into that.
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics! I know it seems like an old lady thing to do but it's actually really fun and a great low impact workout.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical machine.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga?

It's a set of DVDs that is zero impact, but a good workout.

Plus it has done miraculous things for people with injuries - just search you tube for Arthur Boorman (I think it's called something like "never, ever give up". This guy had been walking on crutches for 15 years or something and through DDP yoga he can now RUN!
  • missslinkypants
    Options
    I also have Fibrmyalgia and Sjorens syndrome as well as the Psoriatic arthritis all diagnosed last year although I had symptoms for a year before the diagnosis and yes exercise is good for you as long as done properly and you know your limits.

Although I am on loads of medication exercise still makes me feel even better x
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My mom has RA and I just bought here a stationary bike. She rides three miles every night now and loves it, which is funny because she can barely walk half of that without pain.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Swimming!! Good luck!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Swimming, Biking and Roller Bladeing are all good forms of low impact activities.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    PS - If you're looking for yoga, I practice Ashtanga Yoga. I have severe psoriasis and I am hoping this is staving off any arthritis that may be coming my way someday! I used to have crazy pain in my back and I don't anymore.

There are many types and kinds... find one that works for you. But you can't go wrong with it. Very low impact and just delightful all around.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/yoga/types-of-yoga
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My mom has RA.

She walks, lifted weights(under the guidance of a personal trainer) and now does water aerobics in a warm water pool.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have RA, but luckily I don't seem to have worsened. I'm currently on plaquenil, and didn't see much improvement with prednisone.
    I tend to be rougher on my joints b/c I don't hurt as bad, but I do a lot of Zumba.
    For things that are easier on the joints, the elliptical is great- it's a fluid motion. I also kept my gym membership so I'd have access to the indoor pools, including the therapy pool. Anything in the water is great for your joints!
  • CaitNotKate
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's replies & insights - I definitely will be taking your advice. I'm looking forward to the weather warming up, and hopefully being on my way to getting more RA-Friendly exercise into my routine.

I actually lost ~50lbs back in 2011, and I am doing my best now not to let the rheumatoid & my love of snacks derail me. I think that these exercise recommendations & advice will definitely help me along the way.