Constant fatigue leading to loss of fitness

Options
I've been experiencing constant fatigue for a couple of months now and it has hugely impacted on my fitness levels. Doctors can't find a physical reason for my fatigue, my iron levels, thyroid, vitamin levels are all normal. I thought it could be my nutrition but that seems ok (slightly lacking in protein but I'm working on eating more protein rich foods). I think I'm just emotionally and physically burnt out.

A few months ago I could run intervals for 30 minutes, bike for a hour and walk briskly for 2 hours before feeling exerted. I was also lifting weights 4 times a week and I came close to completing the 30 Day Shred. Then I started getting panic attacks. I upped my exercise routine in a hope that it would help me overcome the panic attacks, but this only seemed to make me worse.

Now I'm exhausted. It's been about 2 months since I have had the energy to do a decent workout. For the past three weeks I've dropped off my usual schedule and only managed a few 30-40 minute walks. I don't know what to do or how to built up my fitness again. I feel like I've come full circle and I'm worse off than when I started this journey a year ago.

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone else has experienced this then your help/advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So I want to understand something. Were you doing the 2 hour walk, intervals AND Bike ride in a workout. That's the way the post sounds to me so my first thought is Overtraining Syndrome. What did the doctors say about your workout routine? I apologize if I am reading that incorrectly but if you were doing this and then increased your workout, you were overdoing it and your body IS exhausted.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh no, sorry I meant each exercise is a separate workout, sorry the confusion!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    How old are you? In addition to fatigue, does anything hurt? Swollen lymph nodes at all? Headaches? Skin issues? Anything else?
  • NakeshiaB
    Options
    I'm 25. I've had itchy skin on my legs and hips for a few months now, the doctor put it down to sensitive skin.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing constant fatigue for a couple of months now and it has hugely impacted on my fitness levels. Doctors can't find a physical reason for my fatigue, my iron levels, thyroid, vitamin levels are all normal. I thought it could be my nutrition but that seems ok (slightly lacking in protein but I'm working on eating more protein rich foods). I think I'm just emotionally and physically burnt out.

A few months ago I could run intervals for 30 minutes, bike for a hour and walk briskly for 2 hours before feeling exerted. I was also lifting weights 4 times a week and I came close to completing the 30 Day Shred. Then I started getting panic attacks. I upped my exercise routine in a hope that it would help me overcome the panic attacks, but this only seemed to make me worse.

Now I'm exhausted. It's been about 2 months since I have had the energy to do a decent workout. For the past three weeks I've dropped off my usual schedule and only managed a few 30-40 minute walks. I don't know what to do or how to built up my fitness again. I feel like I've come full circle and I'm worse off than when I started this journey a year ago.

Sorry for the rant, but if anyone else has experienced this then your help/advice would be much appreciated!

When did you take rest days? What's your sleeping like? How many cals a day were you eating to support you regime?

I read that you were doing the 30-day shred, lifting weights 4 times a week, biking, running intervals and brisk 2 hour walks. Seems like a lot to fit into a week with adequate rest days to recover. Plus you'd need to eat quite a lot to support that kind of activity. Once you start to get too frazzled from overtraining, you find that your sleep patterns suffer, you become irritable, appetite tends to dive and physical activity and mental processing swiftly follows.

If you've truly overtrained yourself, then some easy time off is the cure.

Just take a few weeks off. Get some decent sleep, eat some good food, relax. Then when you feel ready again, start building up to a decent level of exercise - don't forget the rest days though!
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    The easy and obvious things to ask are if you've been getting more or less sleep? Has your diet changed? Has your routine or scheduling changed at all? If not then I would assume tthe only other things that can cause changes in such a short time would be your emotions. Maybe you've had some stresses of some sort recently? Or maybe you've lost what was motivating you. Maybe no longer being attracted to a guy you once were motivated to impress?

If you don't already, I'd maybe start writing a journal nightly. I hope you get back to exercising soon!
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    You mentioned panic attacks. This may not be the WHOLE issue, but it can be at least partly emotional. Depression can cause panic attacks, lowered energy, lack of motivation, and generally make you feel like crap. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like a "possibility". I used to suffer from panic attacks regularly, and every few years I might have a spell where they return, but its been a while thankfully. I remember when I was younger asking my doctor what I could do, and she said "Reduce your stress". I laughed hysterically and thought I better just get used to it.
    Anyway, it may be worth looking into. Panic attacks are usually caused by something involving emotional health. Did your doctor mention these? Around here they will diagnose someone with depression and medicate them every time they come in the office it seems like, I think its just an easy cure for them. There are other things you could try, B vitamins for example.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Without more info from the OP, we're all just guessing really.

Have to wait for her to show up again......
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have an auto-immune disorder that intermittently causes major fatigue, so I can empathize there. Have you tried switching up your routine? Maybe a class where you can make some workout friends so you look forward to going?
    Sorry you're so sleepy, I totally understand; it has a major effect on daily life.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

When did you take rest days? What's your sleeping like? How many cals a day were you eating to support you regime?

I read that you were doing the 30-day shred, lifting weights 4 times a week, biking, running intervals and brisk 2 hour walks. Seems like a lot to fit into a week with adequate rest days to recover. Plus you'd need to eat quite a lot to support that kind of activity. Once you start to get too frazzled from overtraining, you find that your sleep patterns suffer, you become irritable, appetite tends to dive and physical activity and mental processing swiftly follows.

Just take a few weeks off. Get some decent sleep, eat some good food, relax. Then when you feel ready again, start building up to a decent level of exercise - don't forget the rest days though!

This would be my guess as well.

Overtraining would be my guess

But without these questions answered it is just a guess.
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went through that myself and after several doctor's appointments they said that it was depression and I started taking Prozac and what a difference it made. I didn't really feel sad just no energy at all. Maybe look into it.
  • NakeshiaB
    Options

This would be my guess as well.

Overtraining would be my guess

But without these questions answered it is just a guess.

Haha there's no way I could fit all that in one week! I was going weights 3-4 times a week and cardio 4-5 times a week for 30-60 minutes (a mix of the examples I gave). Some weekends I would take 2 hour hikes.

Rest days were Friday and Sunday. My sleep was extremely effected by my panic attacks, I was not getting enough quality sleep. Now all I want to do is sleep! I was eating 1800 calories a day but I've reduced this to 1500 with my inactivity. My emotional state is not the best since my panic attacks ceased, but I'm seeing someone about this and feel much more stable than I did a month back. I'm just physically exhausted every single day. All I seem to manage is get up, go to work, come home, cook dinner, house work, then fall on the bed absolutely drained.

I'm starting to feel like this whole fitness journey has been one step forward, three steps back!
  • NakeshiaB
    Options
    *bump*
  • wonlife
    wonlife Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a liver disease called Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, two of the main symptoms are extreme fatigue and itching. I'm not sure if your doctor ran any kind of liver panels when you had your tests done but it might be worth having it done.
    For about 8 months before I was diagnosed, I had the same kind of fatigue you describe. I literally felt paralyzed some days. Now that I'm on meds for it, the fatigue is mostly better but, because this is a chronic illness, it will never be completely gone. I've had to adjust fitness routines accordingly.
    Here is a link about it, in case you're interested.

http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/pbc/
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1800 calories a day but I've reduced this to 1500 with my inactivity.ree steps back!

calculated your BMR? TDEE? Just using the number that MFP throws at you?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

use one or both of those and figure out what your body needs
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    This does not give you all the answers - but does give you some pointers to what they look at in Holistic Medicine....

http://www.aucklandholisticcentre.co.nz/Holistic-Medicine-Holistic-Doctor-Auckland/low-energy-is-your-battery-running-on-or-near-empty.html

Personally I would look at the first one - Adrenal Fatigue - there is a 4X a day saliva test that you can do to measure your cortisol levels at certain time during the day ......one of the first things I would look at if you are tired all the time...
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
  • NakeshiaB
    Options
    I was eating 1800 calories a day but I've reduced this to 1500 with my inactivity.ree steps back!

calculated your BMR? TDEE? Just using the number that MFP throws at you?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

use one or both of those and figure out what your body needs

Yup I've done all that with In Place of a Road Map, my calorie numbers are fine at the moment
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm 25. I've had itchy skin on my legs and hips for a few months now, the doctor put it down to sensitive skin.

Excluded psoriasis?

(Some autoimmune conditions have a dermatological component - any joint pains?)

Re food: try eating maintenance for a while, forget about weight loss until you make sense.

Re sleep: sure there aren't any interruptions, from eg sleep apnea?
  • arcticbutterfly
    arcticbutterfly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have primary biliary cirrhosis. :)