Side pain whilst running

Options
I'm a beginner runner, I've been running 3x a week for the last 5 weeks, building up how long I run for. This week's set was supposed to be run 6 minutes, walk 1 (x3), but I didn't feel as though I was ready for that yet, so I've just been doing 5 minute run, walk 2 (x3). Today was my second session of the week (the first being Monday), and I found I was really struggling. Monday's run was fine, besides the obvious tiredness that comes with running, but today I found I was out of energy far quicker, and my legs felt exhausted really fast. Then on top of all that, I began experiencing a sharp pain in my right side, just below my ribs, to the point where I had to stop running and take up a gentle walk instead. I've no idea why this was happening, as I haven't done anything different to what I usually do (in terms of eating or other exercise). Any thoughts as to what's going on?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Side stitch, try taking deeper breaths, stand up really straight, put your hands over your head. Any or all of those will help.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How's your breathing? Do you have a steady rhythm? I always find, in through my nose - out through my mouth will take me through. I've used that forever. Also, keep a pace where you can talk when you begin. If you push further than that, then you end up with what you have, a stitch in your side....

Other things that help prevent this is to cross train with another activity. I recommend strength training. :) Also, do some sprints at random during your workout AND always run the hills...those help with endurance.

You're on the right start. :)
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen to me often but when it does it hurts! To get rid of the pain I try to really control my breathing and forcefully make myself take long deep breaths and exhale it all out. It is your diaphragm that is causing the pain and taking controlled deep breaths in and out will stop that spasm or pain in the diaghragm. It takes about a minute of this heavy deep breathing for it to stop on me...good luck!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could have been a bit dehydrated!
  • jojo98mu
    jojo98mu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If the pain is on the right side then when your left foot strikes the ground, basically the opposite side of the pain, and exhale as hard as possible, continue to do this until the pain stops. Also, chewing gum before or during a run can cause side pains. Good luck and don't give up!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a stitch in your side. Making sure you breathe properly and practice are about all that will help you avoid them, as far as I know.
  • opaljade15
    Options
    Ok great, I thought it might just be something like that... but pair that with my unusual exhaustion, and that the whole day my chest has felt really uncomfortable (like my heart's beating up in my throat) I was a little concerned. Probably just a series of coincidences feeding into paranoia O_O Great advice though! Thanks so much!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Stitches suck.

I find that if I'm not well hydrated before my run, I'm more prone to getting them. They'll also come on if my breathing is not steady, controlled and regular during the run.

If they happen anyways, the thing I find that helps is a bit of a funny breathing thing I read about in a running mag: inhale very deeply, concentrating on fully inflating the lungs and expanding your chest and belly, then when you breathe out, purse your lips like you're sipping through a straw and slowly and forcefully push the air out while contracting your belly/chest. Do this a few times; I find it helps loosen the muscle cramp responsible for the pain!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the side stitch happens to me when i dont wait long enough after eating, or if i drink too much water, before running.
  • sensitivetobees
    Options
    The deep breathing with forceful exhaling that others have suggested works for me, along with massaging the stitch with a few fingers. Since you are just building up your running, it might be beneficial for you to slightly slow your pace and shorten your stride. Also, is the 2 minutes between running sets giving you time to really catch your breath? If not, add a few more seconds until you are good to go again. You've got this!
  • dianty
    dianty Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't get them very often but when I do its because I'm not well-hydrated before running. Good-luck!
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Glad to know what this is. I get this when I run too! .... or when I walk for a long period of time. I thought it was weird it was always on the right side. I didn't know it was called a side stitch!

:smile: I did some googling and this is what I found:

"A side stitch is a sharp, intense pain under the lower edge of the ribcage, more often on the left side. They're common in novice runners who tend to breathe more quickly and shallow."

"If you tend to suffer from side stitches, try to avoid eating within one hour of running. Stick to plain water for pre-hydration -- avoid sugary, especially carbonated, drinks. Make sure that you always warm up before your runs.
    The most effective way to prevent side stitches is to avoid shallow breathing. Make sure you're breathing in and out through your mouth when you're running."

http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/f/sidestitch.htm
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this was already said...... but deeper breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. By breathing in through the nose, you are allowing your diaphragm to lower more substantially which will relieve the strain on the ligaments holding those particular organs in place.
  • opaljade15
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Breathe-When-Running-19967835#

This was pretty useful in giving guidance in terms of breathing. :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You could be dehydrated.

When I get them what usually helps is inhaling through the nose and doing a very quick, hard exhale. I do that a few times and it usually makes it go away.