What are some penalties/rewards you use for motivation?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was recently reading a great heath book called "Drop dead healthy" and one of the motivational tools that the author found was to write a cheque to a cause you hate and give it to a friend, then if you do something you don't want to do they send it in.

Example: I want to go to the gym and work with my trainer 3 times a week. ----> Give your trainer a cheque for $100 to the KKK, or neo-nazi local group(insert a cause you hate, pro-abortion group/anti-abortion group whatever) with a postage paid envelope. Then instruct him or her that if you don't show up three times a wekk they are to send it in. Seeing your money go to something you hate, and potentially getting a tax reciept to remind you can be a powerful motivator to do something!

Or reward yourself, but I think that the study this comes out of demonstrated greater completion of goals with the huge negative penalty rather then a positive reward (that you might just get yourself anyway)
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was recently reading a great heath book called "Drop dead healthy" and one of the motivational tools that the author found was to write a cheque to a cause you hate and give it to a friend, then if you do something you don't want to do they send it in.

Example: I want to go to the gym and work with my trainer 3 times a week. ----> Give your trainer a cheque for $100 to the KKK, or neo-nazi local group(insert a cause you hate, pro-abortion group/anti-abortion group whatever) with a postage paid envelope. Then instruct him or her that if you don't show up three times a wekk they are to send it in. Seeing your money go to something you hate, and potentially getting a tax reciept to remind you can be a powerful motivator to do something!

Or reward yourself, but I think that the study this comes out of demonstrated greater completion of goals with the huge negative penalty rather then a positive reward (that you might just get yourself anyway)

I don't think there is any excuse to give money to those people!
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Which is why it can be a great motivator!

okay maybe tone it back a bit and not do the KKK, but there has to be something you dislike that you would rather not send money to. The canadian seal hunters federation? The 7 day cleanse support groups? People for a smoking america? Something.
  • ashleybrown20
    Options
    I adore dresses, so if I'm good for a month, I get to buy myself one :)